Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Memorial Day Brisket...Travis Style...

Chilling outside enjoying the smells and anticipation of my first Brisket cook.... Decided on Travis Recipe.http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1138233/brisket-how-i-do-it/p1
Greensboro North Carolina
When in doubt Accelerate....

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    The last flat I cooked for a family I went travis style. Good stuff.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    This is why the Egg is an Awesome cooking machine...6 hours in and haven't done a thing..2 hours to go..Shooting for 205 F internal...
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447

I would like to see some pics of the final product - been meaning to try one doing it this method....where did u get the brisket??

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• johnmitchell
    pasoegg said:

I would like to see some pics of the final product - been meaning to try one doing it this method....where did u get the brisket??

Pics to follow... Bought at Costco Greensboro..
  • johnmitchell
    Just pulled at 205 Internal Thermapen went in like butter..Final plating to follow..I am so stoked as it looks and smells awesome..
  • henapple
    Nice job
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Looks darn good. I'm glad it worked well for you.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Looks like you nailed it!! Good job.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • pasoegg

was it fall apart tender??  did the basting liquid add to the taste you think??  did you follow the Travis method all the way??

Winston-Salem, NC

• Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    pasoegg said:

was it fall apart tender??  did the basting liquid add to the taste you think??  did you follow the Travis method all the way??

ANSWER THE QUESTION!?!?! It looks great though. How was the smoke taste? I
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    For a brisket flat, the Travis Method is foolproof. And darn tasty, I might add.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • pretzelb
    pretzelb Posts: 158
    edited May 2014
    Looks great. Is that a flat? Looks like it might be a full brisket. 

I would think the liquid would dry up but seems like that isn't an issue in your photos. I am also worried about the pan leaking in the middle of a cook but you didn't use a disposable one so that solves that issue. I like how there is no wrapping in foil. I wonder if it takes longer because of that or does the liquid help keep the temps moving through the stall. 

I might try this next time. 
    XL egg owner, home brewer, jogger, coffee roaster, gamer 
  • johnmitchell
    pasoegg said:

It was very tender, (melt in your mouth) but still held together for slicing..You could definitely taste the baste,which was great.(next time I will try the original rather than the hot and spicy)..Yes I followed exactly as the recipe called for.
    This was a Flat but with all the fat still on. This is a foolproof way to end up with a mouthwatering Brisket.. I used a mixture of Apple, Cherry and a little Pecan for smoke..It had a great smoke flavor.. 
  • henapple
    The last one I cooked I went l&s for 3 hours with heavy smoke then to the Travis method. There's a reason the thread has 3 million views.
  • pasoegg
    I'm ready to take a big swing at one of these....just hope mine looks as tasty as the pictures in this thread...if not - I will get @johnmitchell to cater if for me....he can FTC it over to my house....

Winston-Salem, NC

• Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    pasoegg said:

It was very tender, (melt in your mouth) but still held together for slicing..You could definitely taste the baste,which was great.(next time I will try the original rather than the hot and spicy)..Yes I followed exactly as the recipe called for.
    This was a Flat but with all the fat still on. This is a foolproof way to end up with a mouthwatering Brisket.. I used a mixture of Apple, Cherry and a little Pecan for smoke..It had a great smoke flavor.. 
    I prefer the original marinade myself.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    henapple said:
    The last one I cooked I went l&s for 3 hours with heavy smoke then to the Travis method. There's a reason the thread has 3 million views.

Your bacon picture probably had 3 million views.  That doesn't make it good.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• henapple
    Someone must like it...
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If you google image search "henapple bacon" you're all over the first page of hits.  Most businesses pay good money for that "exposure".  hizzah!
    I have had my Egg since last July and haven't attempted a Briskett yet, I will give you one guess whats going on this weekend, that looks awesome.
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    That looked very good! I can see the juice in the meat even in the picture.
  • henapple
    Drool baby...
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    How much smoke flavor did it have being in so much braising liquid?
    Dearborn MI
  • johnmitchell
    KenfromMI said:
    How much smoke flavor did it have being in so much braising liquid?
    Not as much as I had hoped for, but I was kinda expecting that..I tried to use a shallow dish to expose as much of the meat as possible.. My wife said the smoke taste was quite strong. So go figure.. All in all a great recipe..
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    My buddy does his flats kinda this way (he just puts them in raw and uses the rendered fat and the juices no marinade) and says everyone likes them. He has never tried any other way. I just look at it as braising and not really BBQ'ng. I may try my next one placing in a pan when the flat gets around 160 degrees or so and finishing with some left over injection.
    Dearborn MI