Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not only would like to grind spices but gring my own coffee beans

Options
There is not only a million choices out there for coffee beans. Some of you egghead experience coffee bean grinders tell me what beans will come close to Folgers
Thanks again for your help

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I get a local place's beans. Freshness is key for me, so I would search around for a place you like rather than national brands.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Not meaning to be a smartass, but if you like Folgers, why not stick with it?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Try to find Guatemala Antigua.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • trup0241
    trup0241 Posts: 35
    Options
    I don't know why you would want to try to match folgers, there are so many better (non-mass produced) choices out there).  As Eggcelsior said, freshness is key.  I use to get beans from some local roasters and then figured, why the hell not do it myself.

I initially used this method of an hot air popcorn popper to roast my own beans.

That way works well, but takes some time if you want to roast quite a bit.  I eventually bought a small drum roaster so I can do up to a pound at a time.  

Beware though, once you start roasting your own coffee, it will be difficult to go back to anything mass produced.
    Pittsburgh, PA
  • JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    Options
    Recommend you don't use the same grinder for coffee and spices. We have one inexpensive grinder that have been with us for quite some time. We use it exclusively for coffee. We use a Magic Bullet for spices and several other things.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options

I get a local place's beans. Freshness is key for me, so I would search around for a place you like rather than national brands.

Zeke's?

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I go to local joints and buy their beans, usually.  Not sure what Folgers taste like really.  However, I would assume any Colombian/Arabica bean could be close. My favorite bean is AA Kenya.  I have bought Starbucks Kenya beans and they are good too. 

For coffee, I would recommend a burr grinder over a blade grinder.  For spices you can use the blade grinder.  The blade grinders are cheap, but the burr grinders are a bit pricey. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Grinding your own beans will have a more full bodied taste over a pre-ground in a can.  The natural oils and freshness will amaze you. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    I buy a Kirkland brand dark roast bean at Costco that I like.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    If you have a good grinder, coffee beans are like rubs - so many to try, so little time. Like TOTN, we have a regular Costco one we like, San Francisco Rainforest I think. We try different beans as much as possible. Local Euro deli has a ton of choices - we have at least two tears of "yet to be discovered" beans to try from them. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    @ACN. Zeke's is good. I like Mayorga out of Silver Spring. Dublin Roasters is local(Frederick) so I get them as well.

A cafe in Bawlmer that I frequent uses Pfefferkorn coffee(local to Bawlmer). It's good stuff too.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    For a grinder "cheap" burr one's start around 100 bucks for a good quality one that produces many grinding styles. Baratza is a nice brand.
  • williamadamsesq
    Options
    I purchase Lavazza Gold Espresso from Whole Latte Love and grind it in a Rancilio Rocky Doser Grinder.  I have a $10 grinder for spices.

Trying to grind your own Folgers is like asking for a recipe here for Arby's Smokehouse Brisket.
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    Get yourself some simple tools and you will have the best cup of coffee!

Hand grinder, gram scale, simple pour over, and a water kettle if you are really fancy.

20 grams beans, coarse grind, 300 grams water at 200F is the magic formula!

Speak with a local roaster about what they have to offer.  If you go to someone and they don't know their stuff, go to the next guy.  I have just gotten into coffee recently and am amazed by the depth of flavor.  Similar to the egg-

Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    edited May 2014
    Options
    The path toward high-end coffee is a slippery slope that leads to grinders in the $500-$1000 range. These are normally paired with >$1500 espresso machines. It's safe to say that not one of their owners has ever aspired to Folgers. The spectrum of specialty and artisanal roasts is staggering and is frequently expressed in the lexicon of the wine taster. Assuming you want to stay south of the obsessive practices of the espresso geeks, almost any grinder in the $50-$100 range will suffice for drip or press coffee. Any Starbucks has a fine selection of beans suitable for drip or press. A $30 French press will allow you to surpass the $5 cup of most coffee houses. There are other forums to explore, notably http://www.home-barista.com/forums/.
    Kemah, TX
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options

@ACN. Zeke's is good. I like Mayorga out of Silver Spring. Dublin Roasters is local(Frederick) so I get them as well.

A cafe in Bawlmer that I frequent uses Pfefferkorn coffee(local to Bawlmer). It's good stuff too.
    Thanks for the other recs. We get Zeke's at a gourmet store in Pikesville, so it's convenient for us, but I'll keep my eye out for the others.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD