Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lid alignment tips?

My LBGE is about 3 months old and I noticed that the lid is not quite centered (just maybe 1/8" overlap of top over bottom on one side), so I went through the dollar bill test. There was definitely less resistance on the back half of the grill - on both sides of the hinge. I tried 4x to loosen, adjust the lid and band and re-tighten the top band. But every time I would get the top band tightened, I'd have the same results- slightly off center lid and slightly less resistance in back.  There is some resistance - there's no visible gap - it's just maybe 30-50% of the resistance i get on the bill at the front edge.

So....should I just not worry about it? It seems to be cooking fine - no smoke leaking, etc. There is a seal all the way around, just not even. I know some don't even have a gasket, so am I overanalyzing it? Maybe I should just shut up and cook.

Or are there any tips to get better, even pressure all the way around?

Thanks

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited May 2014
    Mine's been off since the second cook.  I quit worrying about it - it hasn't caused any trouble.

Just like temperature, sometimes the egg does what it likes.
    NOLA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I sure wouldn't sweat 1/8th of an inch. The egg is ceramic, but not fine porcelain China. I even bet if you measure the dome and base you will find one or even both are out of round and no adjustment can ever compensate for that.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • CarolinaCrazy
    CarolinaCrazy Posts: 585
    Thanks for the sanity check, @RRP.
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    If you have some resistance with the dollar bill test you are fine. If JT slides freely then maybe some additional adjustments are needed
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    I wouldnt worry, mine is about the same. The dollar bill test is what you should care about.
  • dawsonhull
    dawsonhull Posts: 105
    I recently replaced my gasket (without removing the dome) and now my Egg has about a 3/4"-1" underbite. I see some smoke leaking out the front now whenever I use wood chunks. I would make some adjustments but I don't know what to adjust! I called my dealer to see if they could help but they said they would "call me back". That was several days ago. Not sure what to do!
  • RRP
    Let's start with some questions. If you merely replaced the gasket without removing the dome then it must have already been out of whack to begin with! Being that much off then you must have loosened some nuts and bolts or you accidentally leaned on the dome and maybe bent the band or hinges. Can you post some pictures?
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    I'm pretty sure my hinge is out of kilter, and causes mines to be off a bit. The top pulls back farther than the bottom lines up. It'll eat your gasket up over time rubbing on it each time you open it.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • RRP
    FATC1TY said:
    I'm pretty sure my hinge is out of kilter, and causes mines to be off a bit. The top pulls back farther than the bottom lines up. It'll eat your gasket up over time rubbing on it each time you open it.
    Actually your issue is easier to resolve. The problem you describe is because the planes of your base and dome do not match. To resolve it you merely need to loosen the nuts on your bands but ONLY to the extent so you can shove the side or front or back that is sitting proud so that the dome and base match up clear around. Then re-tighten the nuts.
    That way your gaskets should match without rubbing during movement. HTH
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Best way I have found is to get a big fat friend like Cen-Tex to put weight on the dome while you tighten the band.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    Best way I have found is to get a big fat friend like Cen-Tex to put weight on the dome while you tighten the band.
    LOL - or if you don't have any fat friends who are willing to get up and sit on top your egg for fear you will take a picture of them doing that you can do it this way! That's just a 2 x 4 and a couple long camps to create even pressure while tightening after loosening first!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I remember that. Too bad Rod wasn't closer eh?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• FATC1TY
    Thanks for the tip there. I'll have to give it a shot. Seemed like last time I tried that, it just pulled back to where it was when I started to fix it.

Maybe this will help bend the bands back or something.
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • RRP
    FATC1TY said:
    Thanks for the tip there. I'll have to give it a shot. Seemed like last time I tried that, it just pulled back to where it was when I started to fix it.

If your bands are bent then no this may not solve it unless when you re-tighten then the bent band comes together in the off-killder position. That make sense? IOW the bent band will re-position by grabbing the dome in a different spot. OTOH if this doesn't work then you will be better off to remove the whole assembly so you can really see where it is bent and straighten it.
  • dawsonhull
    Here you go @RRP. There was a little bit of a misalignment before I replaced the gasket but not nearly this much.
  • FATC1TY
    RRP said:
    FATC1TY said:

If your bands are bent then no this may not solve it unless when you re-tighten then the bent band comes together in the off-killder position. That make sense? IOW the bent band will re-position by grabbing the dome in a different spot. OTOH if this doesn't work then you will be better off to remove the whole assembly so you can really see where it is bent and straighten it.

Well, I don't actually know if they are bent or not. I've never had it apart but for the time I put it together. It's been like this since I put it together over 18 months ago.
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • RRP
    Here you go @RRP. There was a little bit of a misalignment before I replaced the gasket but not nearly this much.
    It appears your hinge bolts have gotten loosened and therefore your hinge has shifted backwards. Compare the "squareness" of my hinge and parts to each other as compared to yours. Your pivots are out of whack, but can be loosened and squared up.
  • dawsonhull
    Thanks @RRP. So which bolts exactly do I loosen?
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Hell with one dollar bill, if i can get a bank package of ones to get a little resistance i am happy. The older Large is 7 years old and for 6 3/4ths of the time no gasket so....... Don't overthink this stuff
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RRP
    edited May 2014
    Thanks @RRP. So which bolts exactly do I loosen?
    Ok - using your 3rd picture which I copied for this thread starting at the left corner there is one nut and bolt on each side of the hinge assembly. Now to the immediate right is a similar set of actually 3 of them - with me so far? Your pivoting problem are those lower ones at the bottom. When loosened pull your dome forward so the hinge is square with the back of your egg. Take a look back at my picture and note the "squareness" I'm talking about.

Your picture:
  • RRP
    edited May 2014

• dawsonhull
    I see. I started to loosen those but saw that the nut is what's holding the spring on. Right? I loosened them somewhat but wasn't able to get any play in the alignment.
  • RRP
    edited May 2014
    No message!
  • RRP
    WHOA! I told you the wrong bolt!!! It's the first two in your picture on the left corner SORRY!!!!
  • dawsonhull
    Haha that's ok. Well, nothing happened until I actually removed those bolts/nuts. (The ones on the far left corner) The dome snapped into place when I removed the second one. Now, I'm not sure how to get them back in without getting out of alignment again...
  • RRP
    Haha that's ok. Well, nothing happened until I actually removed those bolts/nuts. (The ones on the far left corner) The dome snapped into place when I removed the second one. Now, I'm not sure how to get them back in without getting out of alignment again...
    Just remove the springs - they are pulling it - YOU"RE almost THERE!!! Don't give up now!
  • FATC1TY
    Thanks for the pictures here. I think this is actually my problem too. I've fooled around with the hinge, but the springs keep pulling it back out of whack it seems.

I don't see how removing the screws, putting the lid back level and putting the bolts back in. The hinge will be pulled back to it's original line up once you have to put the screws back in?
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • RRP
    Not if you square up the angle and then tightened the nuts on those bolts before putting the springs back on.
  • FATC1TY
    RRP said:
    Not if you square up the angle and then tightened the nuts on those bolts before putting the springs back on.

... good point. Maybe I should stop drinking and put the wrench down. ;)
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • dawsonhull
    That's what happened to me. I removed my springs but what really seems to putting it off-kilter is the bolt in the corner. The holes in the piece of metal (which I'm pointing to) seems to throwing things off. I can disassemble everything but when I put it back together, it's all out of whack again!