Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lid alignment tips?

Options
2»

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I'm starting to wonder if your bands are bent or misaligned around the dome and base and that is not showing up in your pictures. Here are two more pictures fro the side of what a working hinge assembly looks like open and closed. Can you compare them to yours?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    That's what happened to me. I removed my springs but what really seems to putting it off-kilter is the bolt in the corner. The holes in the piece of metal (which I'm pointing to) seems to throwing things off. I can disassemble everything but when I put it back together, it's all out of whack again!

I feel like I got mine in a better spot by taking it apart. I loosened the band on top first, took the springs out, and took that bolt out. Every bolt in my hinge was a little loose, I had some good side to side play when I opened the lid, so I think that didn't help.

I got the lid lined up to the body and then tightened the band down on it, then I put the screws back in while holding the lid steady where I wanted. I tightened EVERY bolt down. I'm sure some were made to be loose, but this really helped my hinge. Then I put the springs back in and tight. My lid opens much better now, but more resistance and less slack, and no side to side movement. Feels more solid than anything, and I can keep it half opened without having to hold it.

My hinge isn't quite square, much like yours, but it's MUCH closer now. I think it's about as good as I can get it with what I've got. I blame the hinge's manufacturing and drilling.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    This doesn't apply to your hinge bolts but if you double nut your band bolts they were stay tight. Double nutting is nothing more than running a second nut up tight against the first.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Web-C
    Web-C Posts: 1
    Options
    I've just set my XL BGE up and had an underbite issue. It was because I didn't use the spacers properly that came with the Egg, the instructions weren't particularly clear and my bands were too far apart when the Egg was closed. Half an hour of adjusting and I was good to go with a totally aligned BGE!
  • Sir_Loin_of_Beef
    Options
    It looks like every bolt on the hinge needs to pivot, so tightening any of them is not the answer. They NEED to move. I'm gonna search for my spacers and the hinge bracket or try to buy more.  We just moved so there's no telling where they are now.
  • Stuss
    Stuss Posts: 75
    Options
    I had a similar issue recently and tried adjusting multiple times with no success.  My local egg dealer was kind enough to come to the house and try to help me.  The band was bent/twisted (not sure how) and he was kind enough to give me a replacement band.   Problem solved.   Hope it helps.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Huhuhuhuh.. Ron said Double Nutting! I haven't done that since High School
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum