Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ancho Chili powder

Ok guys...

I have looked high and low for Ancho Chili powder. Even the huge Mercados in metro Atlanta come up dry.

Where does everyone get their powder? Those GA natives, I live between Cumming and Gainsville so something close by would be great.

Thanks!

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited May 2014

Ok guys...

I have looked high and low for Ancho Chili powder. Even the huge Mercados in metro Atlanta come up dry.

Where does everyone get their powder? Those GA natives, I live between Cumming and Gainsville so something close by would be great.

Thanks!

I found it at Publix in Woodstock.  McCormick. 

...I wouldn't drive all the way to Woodstock for it, but have you tried your local Publix? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800

Actually Publix is my store of choice near me. Nada. No Ancho Chili powder. Guess I'll have to special order it. Thanks for the answer, SmokeyPitt

Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Walmart here in PA.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Walmart and publix here in aiken carry it. Keep looking. It's kinda hard to find.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,054
    While I can find it at my local grocery stores, I recently bought a fresh batch of red and green Ancho powder direct from New Mexico here; recommended from Adam Perry Lang's Serious Barbecue book.  I have purchased from them twice with good results..

http://dagiftbasket.com/

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Penzeys has great Ancho.
  • Cymbaline65

What's weird is that due to the massive poultry industry where I live, and the large Hispanic population that services that industry, I CAN'T find it anywhere. Crazy. I have not hit every Mercado in a 20 mile radius, but I have been looking for a while.

You know, I really do NOT like Walmart but may have to set foot in one if I can find it.

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    I have a love hate relationship with Wally World too.

I only love it when they have what I have to get.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    If you need to order it, these guys have whatever you need.

Or The Spice Mill in Manchester CT, just a few miles from me, seems to carry quite a bit. Have never ordered online as I just stop by when I'm in the neighborhood. Bought 5 oz of Mexican Oregano last week. Earlier, some smoked and Hungarian paprika. A few others I can't recall. I have no affiliation with these folks, but they seem nice. :) 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002

Penzeys has great Ancho.

And it's cheap.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Hard to believe your mercados do not carry such a staple?  That's where I get mine.  Toast, then grind.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Egglegal_Alien
    Egglegal_Alien Posts: 113
    edited May 2014
    Another name for "Ancho Chile" is "Pasilla Chile"... if you see that... it's the same.

XL BGE + Large BGE @ Monterrey, Mexico
  • markem
    markem Posts: 54
    Here is the information for the only Penzey's Spices store I see in GA.  Ordering from the website is fast and easy, but since I have 3 Penzey's local to me, I hit them anymore.

Atlanta Area

Sandy Springs Plaza

6235-A Roswell Rd NE
    Sandy Springs, GA
    (404) 256-7970

Mon.-Sat.: 10:00AM - 6:00PM
    Sun.: 11:00AM - 5:00PM

• Cymbaline65

Thanks everyone. I did find dried Pascillas but I really didn't want to go through the hassle of grinding. I'm occasionally in Sandy Springs so I'll keep that addy handy. :-)

Hey, who's going to Nth GA Eggfest this weekend?

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Did you happen to ask the store manager at your local grocery store if they order some in. I've done that in the past (with other products) and they can often do so.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Just to clarify, pasillas are not the same as anchos. Anchos are dried poblanos, while pasillas are a completely different pepper.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,693
    Much less $$ if you can find in the bulk spice section your store. I always buy in bulk section.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). 

• StillSmoken
    StillSmoken Posts: 327
    Try the Dekalb Farmers Market. That's my go to on tough items. Remember Cash Only!
    Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    edited May 2014
    Does anyone here use the Goya Adobo Seasonings? I use either the red cap or green cap versions on chicken breasts before I egg them and they turn out really good

• Eggcelsior
    hapster said:
    Does anyone here use the Goya Adobo Seasonings? I use either the red cap or green cap versions on chicken breasts before I egg them and they turn out really good

I do on nearly everything. Red cap(con pimento) or burgundy(con pique). My boricua wife introduced me to them. She uses that stuff like Frank's.
  • Cymbaline65
    edited May 2014
    Did you happen to ask the store manager at your local grocery store if they order some in. I've done that in the past (with other products) and they can often do so.
    I have not but I've custom ordered stuff in the past. Not sure if there is a minimum.

@StillSmokin - I love DFM but it's a one hour haul for me so I only hit it when I'm in that part of town.
    @Ehummelman - you are correct. I thunk and typed different things. 
    =P~
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,724
    For the Folks in North Carolina who have Harris Teeter supermarkets..I just bought some McCormic Ancho Chile pepper
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • bigirish
    bigirish Posts: 36
    I got some from Kroger a few weeks ago.
  • horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    I order from WholeSpice. They have a 40% off coupon twice a year and 30% off a few times, too. I stock up when things are on sale, and freeze the overstock, taking out only a couple of ounces at a time. 

• Cymbaline65
    I did check my local Krogers too. No love. I'll try the special order route first then I may have to consider DFM or mail order...All this work for such a simple thing.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited May 2014
    Istr seeing it at a Food Lion in Virginia. I see there's one in Gainesville. Maybe yours has it too.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Cymbaline65
    Well, I'm at the local Whole Foods here in Montclaire, NJ looking for a salad and maybe some soup. Being a road warrior, I can't eat out all the time or I'd be 50lbs heavier than I already am. Lo and behold in the way overpriced spice isle I see the Ancho powder! Goal! I picked up 2oz which should tide me over until I can source it locally. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Just get it online. It will most likely be cheaper and fresher. Penzeys is the best I've had.