Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bad day...

Options
I was doing some burgers this weekend and all of a sudden I hear a "pop". After reading some other posts on here my fears were confirmed. It looks like a surface crack but nonetheless I am upset. I'm thinking I'll try some hi temp epoxy and see what happens. I bought this off of CL 2 years ago and I have a lot of extras for it, so I'm hoping this will delay the inevitable. image
LG BGE, plate setter, highQ grate, Ceramic Grill Works 2 Tier rack, Smokeware SS vent cap, BBQ GURU Party Q, super fast Ravens purple Thermapen and Maverick ET-732

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Ouch. I'd look into a replacement ASAP. $-)
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    That isn't a surface crack. If you clean the egg out and vacuum it you will see it on the inside too.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    That is a bad day, I feel for ya!  On another note, good looking dog in the background, is that a golden retriever?  
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Oh snap! Your right. That is a good lookin dog.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Camben
    Camben Posts: 24
    Options
    Yep, that's a Golden. I'm trying to put off the cleaning because I'm afraid of what I might find. I guess I'll burn her till she breaks apart. Keep your eyes posted... Might be some eggcesories available real soon :(
    LG BGE, plate setter, highQ grate, Ceramic Grill Works 2 Tier rack, Smokeware SS vent cap, BBQ GURU Party Q, super fast Ravens purple Thermapen and Maverick ET-732
  • CosmicVoyager
    Options
    Camben said:
    Yep, that's a Golden. I'm trying to put off the cleaning because I'm afraid of what I might find. I guess I'll burn her till she breaks apart. Keep your eyes posted... Might be some eggcesories available real soon :(
    This should be covered by the warranty.
    Lg Egg - Asheville, NC
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    There has to be a way to bond it some how. At least seal the crack right? Be careful
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    edited May 2014
    Options
    This should be covered by the warranty. 
    unfortunately no warranty since he bought it off CL.
    canuckland
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    I cooked with a crack like that for almost a year... Keep it under 500 and in the nest and just egg on. By a base at some point and change it out when you need a new gasket(something else I cooked lacking for almost a year LOL)

The base is probably equal or cheaper than all of your accessories.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Call about getting a base. It should be under 200. The other option is post on Craigslist that you need a new one, they tend to pop up all the time in certain areas.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    hapster said:
    I cooked with a crack like that for almost a year... Keep it under 500 and in the nest and just egg on. By a base at some point and change it out when you need a new gasket(something else I cooked lacking for almost a year LOL) The base is probably equal or cheaper than all of your accessories.
    And put a fire resistant mat under it if it's on a flammable surface. It looks like a mini and there have been a few instances of the whole bottom dropping out.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    The dog knows that you're upset.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Camben
    Options
    The dog knows that you're upset.
    Lol, yeah I guess I checked out for second. Words were flying!

• Camben
    Options
    Never thought about buying just the base. I will check into that since I really like my egg. In the mean time I will use the egg for smoking and my Weber for grilling. The only thing that I can think that might have caused this is that after I fired it up I moved it to a different spot on my patio. ????
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Options
    Where you live @Camben‌
    Beaufort, SC
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    I've got a crack just like that in mine. I still have the replacement in my garage. Cracked base hasn't made a difference at all yet.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Camben
    Options
    Where you live @Camben‌

I live in southern PA
  • Camben
    edited May 2014
    Options
    yzzi said:
    I've got a crack just like that in mine. I still have the replacement in my garage. Cracked base hasn't made a difference at all yet.
    </blockquote That's good to hear. I got some JB Weld and applied it to the egg today. I'm thinking of getting some PC 11 and covering a greater area underneath the egg for extra strength. I called the local dealer and he wanted around $500 for the bottom. At that price for a bottom I'll invest in something else or just try and get a used Smokey Mountain.
  • horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    Options
    yzzi said:
    I cooked with much worse cracks than that for a couple of years. I have the warranty parts, have not bothered to use them yet. I cook at any temperature I please including clean burns. 

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I've had 2 bases crack like that over the years, which is why I think the warranty is worth something.....
    The Naked Whiz
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    Man that sucks.
  • Camben
    Options
    Since I spent less than $100 of Craigslist 2 years ago I can't complain. They want $500 for the base( insane). I still have my trusty Weber and I might look at a Humphrey's. In the mean time I have it epoxyed up and run her till she gives up.
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    Options
  • Camben
    Options
    misu said:
    buy one of these and put it under the fire box just in case

that's a great idea! Will look into it. Thanks
  • Camben
    Options
    Just to give everyone an update on what happened a few years ago.  I took a lot of your advice and wanted to let you guys know that the egg is still chugging along.  I purchased a 13" pizza stone to act as a heat shield and I'm only using the egg for smoking purposes.  I try not to get it above 400 deg.  I used a combination of hi temp JB Weld and PC 11 and it seems to be holding.  So, if this unfortunate situation happens to your egg you may get lucky and by some time as I'm sure it will fail at some point.  Thanks again for all your help and input.
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    ^^^^ Points for adapting and carrying on. 
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    i'm waiting on a new XL base right now for the exact same crack......
    More meat please !! :-)
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    Thanks for the update. Glad to hear better times were ahead 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    hapster said:
    I cooked with a crack like that for almost a year... Keep it under 500 and in the nest and just egg on. By a base at some point and change it out when you need a new gasket(something else I cooked lacking for almost a year LOL) The base is probably equal or cheaper than all of your accessories.
    And put a fire resistant mat under it if it's on a flammable surface. It looks like a mini and there have been a few instances of the whole bottom dropping out.
    Hardi-Backer board (cement wall board 3'x5'? used for bath/backsplash tiling) works great a fire resistant mat.  I had one under my XL when I had it on a wooden deck.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Camben said:
    Just to give everyone an update on what happened a few years ago.  I took a lot of your advice and wanted to let you guys know that the egg is still chugging along.  I purchased a 13" pizza stone to act as a heat shield and I'm only using the egg for smoking purposes.  I try not to get it above 400 deg.  I used a combination of hi temp JB Weld and PC 11 and it seems to be holding.  So, if this unfortunate situation happens to your egg you may get lucky and by some time as I'm sure it will fail at some point.  Thanks again for all your help and input.
    Great to hear you could save it with JB Weld.  My first PS is cracked in half and my second one that I have only been using for about 6 months or so has a crack in it.  I am going to try some JB Weld on the first one and see if it works.  I may get an AR with a Woo2 for XL or a CI PS.  Thanks for the update.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.