Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New York Strips

TexanOfTheNorth
TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
Had a USDA prime strip loin wet ageing for about 6 weeks now. Took it out Friday night and sliced into individual steaks. Did two for Friday night's dinner using the reverse sear method. Cooked indirect until IT hit about 110* and then seared on my CI grid at 700* for about 1 1/2 min. per side. Steaks came out a perfect medium rare and were some of the best I've ever done.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Comments

• DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Very nice T-O-N! I really need to get on the reverse sear bandwagon, usually too impatient and just do a direct grill. 

I am inspired. 
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Nice work
    Toronto
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Where the heck did you get USDA Prime in Canada? B-)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TexanOfTheNorth
    I know a guy that packs it in the wheel well of his car and drives it across. I keep watching "Border Security" to make sure he doesn't get busted!  X_X
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Don't worry I have heard he hides them pretty well B-)
    Toronto
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,407
    edited May 2014
    I know the guy and mine has wet aged six weeks too!  Planned to lo and slo till 120 for reverse sear, but got distracted with NBA, when I woke up it was 130 IT #-o
    Afraid to sear too much, did a 30 sec per side sear on CI pan, still came out amazing!  John, in spite of the boo-boo mine still looked as pink as yours though.
    So mad with myself, didn't bother taking any 'after' photos, yes it did happen!
    canuckland
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    I know a guy that packs it in the wheel well of his car and drives it across. I keep watching "Border Security" to make sure he doesn't get busted!  X_X
    Just in case some don't get it, you do not need to hide beef steaks in your wheel well, as long as the country of origin is USA or Mexico there is no duty or tax due. We bring back USDA Prime from Bellingham all the time. 

TOTN - nice looking steaks - anything special for your wet age, other than sealing them up and hoping? I've never gone longer than 2-3 weeks.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,869
    T'was New York strip night here also. I fixed a big one out of this stack that I recently had dry aged for 45 days! Geeeezzz was that good!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TOTN - nice looking steaks - anything special for your wet age, other than sealing them up and hoping? I've never gone longer than 2-3 weeks.  
    Just left it in the original cryovac wrap

@RRP, I'll probably dry age the next one.