Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do you use Dome Temp or Grid Temp?

Options
For those who have a device to monitor grid temp, e.g. Maverick with dual probes or an infrared, do you use that device to monitor the temp instead of using the dome thermometer?  If a recipe calls for 250 degrees, which thermometer do you use to reach that temp?
Southern California

Comments

• SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    If a recipe says 250, it generally means dome temperature.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    Whichever has been calibrated last. Most of the time I just use the dome temp and let the Mav tell me the IT of the food.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• ElCapitan
    ElCapitan Posts: 154
    Options
    At first the dome is hotter but on low and slow cooks like a 250 they usually equal out over time.  On low and slow I go with grid temp because I'm using my Digiq to control it and I clip the probe to the grid.  When I'm doing 300-400 I just use the dome temp and don't bother with a grid temp because on these the main thing is the food temp.  When I'm above that, it's so hot the temp probes can't handle it so I'm using the dome.

XL Owner
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Dome. Always. When i use a maverick or digiq, I clip their pit probe to the dome probe. Some use grid temp. It's all what you prefer or are used to. But as Seneca said, recipes around here are usually given with dome temp.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited May 2014
    Options
    No question, the grid temp, that's where the meat is! Having said that, I don't find that maintaining a perfect temp is all that critical. Monitoring the meat by probe tenderness and/or internal meat temp is much more important to a good finished product than what temperature you got it there.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• SenecaTheYounger
    SenecaTheYounger Posts: 368
    edited May 2014
    Options
    @chokeonsmoke

Problem is, if you are using a specifically BGE recipe, say Edler Ward's, and it says "225", that reference is for dome temperature.  And what it means is, the correct temperature at the grate is whatever the temperature at the grate is when dome is 225.

If you then establish grate temperature at 225, you will notice the dome temperature is different.

It may not be critical for all recipes, but the recipes which don't specify grate temperatures were developed following dome temperatures.

You cook time will be different, for one thing.

I agree that internal temperature is most important, but the difference between dome and grate can affect cook time quite a bit.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seneca Falls, NY

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,828
    Options

I use dome temp, but on long cooks, I like to have the grid temp as a reference.  It provides some insight into the state of the fire.
    NOLA
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

Grid temp. It has the closest relationship the level of the product you are cooking. I have noticed as much as 25 degrees and as little as 5 difference between the dome and grid. Depending on what's cooking and your setup.

I monitor both with my Stoker on all of my cooks.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,955
    Options
    egg recipes dome, oven recipes grate. truth be told non of my egg gages work and ive just been winging it for the last couple years and doing it just fine that way
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,804
    Options
    As has been said, whatever temperature you use is a point of reference for the cook.  And that temperature will give you an idea of the cook time for planning purposes.  I use dome as that is the one thermo that all BGE's have.  And you can get into information/temperature overload with too many devices.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    If I use a normal recipe,  not from the BGE site, then I use the grid temp. For a while I was using the dome temp and if the recipe said 350 degrees for 30 minutes, I ended up taking 45.  Once I got the Maverick I noticed that the delta can be upwards of 40 degrees at times I switched to grid and not my times are closer (although I cook to internal temp).  Unless the recipe call for dome, I use grid. 
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • vchelf
    vchelf Posts: 95
    Options
    I use the grid temp because that is the level the food is at.  Also, don't cook to time, cook to internal temperature, monitoring with a ThermoPen or fodd probe.
    Victor Chelf
    Houston, TX

Just one Large BGE
    Visit my Victor's Vittles blog - dedicated to my Big Green Eggventures

• keepervodeflame
    Options
    On cooks of a hour or more I use a probe at grate level and a remote. Nice to see the grate temp from where ever I maybe when away from the grill. 
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    Interesting divide on the replies here.  I agree that if you're using a recipe posted here on the forum, dome temp seems to be the way to go.  But if you're using a recipe from a cookbook that isn't specific to the BGE, it seems like the grid might be better.  
    Southern California
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    egg recipes dome, oven recipes grate. truth be told non of my egg gages work and ive just been winging it for the last couple years and doing it just fine that way
    This is the answer, BGE would of course reference their dome thermo, converting something from an oven, use grid temp. i tend to use my Maverick clipped to grid as the temp to cook by, the dome thermo is just for reference. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Look in your oven. You know, the big box in your kitchen. Where is the temp sending unit? Mine is at or near the top of the oven. Otherwise known as the dome. :) So if a Betty Crocker recipe (nothing to do with the egg) calls for an "oven" temp of 350°, seems logical that Betty means dome temp, not "where the meat is". I have never known (or cared) what the grid temp in my egg is.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bicktrav
    edited May 2014
    Options
    One of the reasons I started this thread is because I was reading an interview with Aaron Franklin in which he said one of the biggest mistakes he sees people make is placing their thermometer too high up on the pit.  His contention was that readings should be taken at grid level.  Granted, we aren't using pits here, but the same principles should apply.  Until I read that I only used the dome temp.  Now I'm reconsidering.
    Southern California
  • SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    The difference is that recipes for the egg were developed with the dome temperature in mind.  So to cook at that temperature, but at grid level, is to actually cook the meat at a different temperature.

When you take your car to Canada, and the sign says the speed limit is 110, you don't drive 110 miles per hour.  Those signs were written for people using Km/H.

Same thing.

Seneca Falls, NY

• bicktrav
    Options
    @SenecaTheYounger - Totally agree when it concerns recipes designed specifically for the egg.  But if the recipe is coming from a cookbook that doesn't assume the owner has an egg, I kind of think you're better off working with the grid temp.  
    Southern California
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    +1^^^^^. Dome on smoking or BGE or other ceramic cooker recipes and grid when converting from oven recipes.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I use both, that way I know what is going on inside. Also my probe has an alarm and will let me know if it gets to hot or to low. That's good for night cooks, which is what I'm doing tonight.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    I find when using my maverick, I can get multiple different grid temps. My dome only ever gives me once. Thus I feel dome is a more consistent temp.

I still use m maverick for grid temps for long cooks, but I try to get it to match my dome temp wherever I place it so I have a better reference.

I agree with the earlier statement that after a while grid and dome temps equalize. But I go with the dome temp.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    @Bicktrav

Agreed.

If the question though concerns numbers thrown around on the forum, we're essentially talking dome. That's all I'm saying.

Fisherman has it right

Seneca Falls, NY

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I don't think it matters. After some time elapses, they are about the same.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • stahlee
    stahlee Posts: 9
    Options
    I use grid temp when I need temperature probes in the meats. So usually lower temp cooks since I'm more concerned with internal temps. If I'm cooking high temp, like a pizza or a steak it's going to be dome temps. I still monitor both with my Stoker setup. 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I noticed that when I used my new raised grid this weekend that the grid and dome where the about the same and when the grid is lower it is a lower temp then the dome. If you are doing pizza on multiple levels I would use the dome temp.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.