Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crispy Chicken legs with Water pan?

Hi There,

I am a new owner of the large big green egg.  I am trying to cook chicken legs that are smoked with cherry/apple wood smoke.  After using a Weber kettle for 10 years, I was only able to achieve beautiful crispy chicken legs that are only smoked with the wood chips by tying the legs into a cage rotisserie system.  This is a lot of work.

I ABSOLUTELY HATE pretreatment methods of getting skin crispy; I don't have time or patience - I want to take it out of the fridge about 30 minutes before, apply the rub, and slap it on the grill.  I have cooked direct to achieve crispy skin but I don't want to smoke it with the drippings.  I can do that on my $25 hibachi grill from Canadian tire resulting in beautiful crispy skin.  I want to smoke it with cherry/apple wood.  Last night I tried an empty water pan but ended up smoking the meat with the burning drippings.  

I have already read all related threads on cooking crispy chicken skin but want to ask again a couple of questions?  

Has anyone cooked with a water pan and is it safe to do so on the Big Green Egg?  If it spilled will it crack the ceramic?  Secondly, what temperature do I need to get this to, to achieve crispy skin while using a filled water pan?  Is this possible.  Thanks.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,693
    No to the above for me. If time I leave overnight uncovered in the fridge, if no time no problem. I cook direct ( never a water pan) and raised at 400. Pull at 180 and just fine. I will use Bad Byron's Butt Rub or coffee rub I make. Simple
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,693
    Could not find leg pic, but these wings were cooked the same way. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited April 2014
    Use of water pan will result in a steamer and soggy skin due to the restricted air flow in the egg. Not like a kettle at all. Leave legs uncovered on a rack (to improve airflow) overnight in the fridge, dust with starch (Baking powder or corn starch). Apply rub whenever you want.
    Cook'em raised direct at 400º like Mickey says.
    If you are concerned about the drip and want more smoke, lower the temp a bit and go indirect at 350-375º. Use an elevated drip pan above the setter to stop the drippings from burning. Use balled foil to raise you pan off the very hot setter. You do not need anything in the drip pan - some use a layer of salt to absorb the drippings, but never water or a liquid if you are after crisp skin.    
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,014

@Mickey is correct.  Raised direct is a good way to crisp the skin as it gets radiant heat but the meat is not close enough to the flames to get burned by them.

However, to answer your question - yes I have cooked with a water pan in the egg and it works fine.  Unlike my Weber or my ProQ smoker, the egg can get well above boiling temp as it is better insulated and can achieve a bigger fire and air flow.  It is unclear from your question if you have a platesetter.  If so, what you really want is to put a drip pan (with or without water) on top of the platesetter with something to allow airflow between the platesetter and the pan.  People use a variety of things like balls of aluminum foil, small pieces of hardware, etc and place them on the platesetter and under the drip pan.  This keeps the heat from the fire from being semidirectly transmitted from the ceramic to your pan and as a result the drippings don't burn and give off an acrid smell. 

You may be able to accomplish what you want by simply using a drip pan with water and no platesetter (as I read your post I think that is what you are suggesting/asking).  To get the skin crispy while cooking indirect it seems to be best to cook at a temp above 350.  I let the egg settle anywhere between 350 and 425 and just go with it.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Thanks guys,

I know raised direct will crisp the skin, but I just find the drippings to impart an unusual taste to the meat.  Yes, I am using a platesetter with the waterpan above.  How do you suspend a water pan without a platesetter? 

Also I always found a temp above 400 F in the Weber was needed to crisp skin, but you guys are saying a lower temp will do that?
  • SenecaTheYounger
    SenecaTheYounger Posts: 368
    edited April 2014
    Crisp skin is dried skin.  You can jump start it by drying overnight, but in your case you prefer not to, which is understandable.  We don't all plan cooks a day in advance.

So how to dry the skin then?  Well, by NOT using a water pan, for one thing.

You aren't going to boil the water at 400 degrees, because it isn't the air temp that boils it, it's the radiant heat from below.  But still, water in an environment where you are trying to dry something out is just about the best way to guarantee chewy skin.

If it is drippings directly into the fire which you are concerned about, then just use some foil on the grid, then elevate the chicken on a raised grid above it, with bricks or a raised grid rig (hex nuts, three or four inch bolts, and washers attached as feet to a spare grid).  The drippings will collect on the foil.  They shouldn't actually 'burn'.  When we see puffy clumps of charcoal in our drip pans, it is not because the stuff caught on fire and made black smoke, it's merely (usually) the sugar in sauces being carbonized by the relative high heat and lack of oxygen.  It's literally making charcoal by driving off everything but the carbon.  You don't get putrid smoke from it. It's not the same as dripping into the fire and burning.

Anyway... crispy skin.  Honestly, abou the only thing the egg does TOO well is retain moisture.  If you want dry skin, you'll need to air dry overnight.  Lacking that, you have a couple options. 

Raised high, indirect, in the dome at lower temperatures for a long period of time.  say 250, for a few hours.  This is what works for me.  The long draft gives you a chance to evaporate some moisture off the egg, and the radiant heat of the dome cooks the meat.

Or raised high, direct, over a moderate fire.  Say 400.  This gives you some direct radiant heat from below on the skin.  The cook is relatively short though, and you can get skin which is bite through, but not truly crispy. Any sugars in the rub or sauce can burn, giving you some crispy bits.

I have not done the third option in a long time: high in the dome, indirect, at higher heat.  I seem to remember that this also gave merely "ok" skin, not truly crispy.

Peking duck is dried in advance overnight, and is the perfect example of crispy skin.  Good results require planning ahead, unfortunately.

Other cookers (metal, usually) do well to dry chicken skin, because there is so much draft required to keep the fire going (and much more fuel used).  This continuous large amount of hot air (note: I realize I am leaving myself open to a jab there with "continuous large amount of hot air" :-S ) helps dry the skin quite a bit, as does a hot dry electric oven.

In the end, I have found best results by going slower for a longer period of time.  A whole chicken dried overnight, and cooked at 250 for a few hours, has really crisp wonderful skin.

If you can't dry overnight, try a lower temp for a longertime.  And ditch the water pan.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• Forgot to say, for a whole bird, you should work your fingers under the skin, and get some oil both under and on the skin.  It will help fry the skin to a certain extent.

This is harder to do with legs and wings though. If you have thighs, you can work the skin free a bit and get some oil under it, and it will help.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited April 2014
    I haven't tried this yet and it's for a whole, spatchcocked bird, but perhaps it will help. Judy and Joan know what they're talking about.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SenecaTheYounger is spot on....sounds like he understands the cooking process in regards to prep, time and temp....this is usually to biggest thing to learn in cooking
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    I dry off my chicken good before applying dry rubs. For legs, I hang them in a leg rack and cook them indirect at 350 to 400. It takes about 1.25 hours until the skin gets crisp. I get crispy skin every time.
    Dave - Austin, TX