Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Reverse Sear

Did my first reverse sear,  cooked platesetter feet up at 350 for 20 minutes then direct at 600 2 minutes each side.
Steaks were dusted with kosher salt, ground pepper and Maggi sauce. My question is how long do you rest your steaks?
If you do doesn't it get cold? or do you rest it foiled?

2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited April 2014
    I let rest on average of 10 minutes to maybe 15 minutes. Then either reverse sear or c.i. pan sear. No issues with a "cold" steak. I don't tent during the rest but, I spec some do (personal preferences differ).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    I never let a steak rest, the last bites are already cold anyway, so I dig in as soon as it comes off the grill to eat as much as I can before it loses temp.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• NPHuskerFL
    @kdink‌...to be clear you are referring to the "rest" coming off the grill (carry over cook), then bumping temp up to sear correct? Because there is no rest after the sear (goes straight to consumer at that point ;-) ).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited April 2014
    Nice job!
    Rest is only while egg goes nuclear. Meat on a rack, never on a plate, with a foil tent. Dab any surface moisture with a paper towel or fine linen if you have bucks to burn. The drier the surface, the faster the Mailard reaction. 

I used to collect a commission on reverse sear, but gave up trying to collect from the cheap guys on this forum. 

Great looking steaks. I do mine at 250º or less. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    @kdink‌...to be clear you are referring to the "rest" coming off the grill (carry over cook), then bumping temp up to sear correct? Because there is no rest after the sear (goes straight to consumer at that point ;-) ).
    I was referring to after the sear.  I usually go straight to table. Couldn't wait on these, only problem was convincing wife the were not under cooked.  Got her to admit after first bite I was right.  (finally!)

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    For steaks...I don't suggest doing an intentional rest after pulling them off the egg. By the time you pull em off, ring the dinner bell, and fix your plate...you've pretty much rested your steak for 5 minutes.

I pull em off and place them directly on a sheet pan with a cooling rack and place them on the table. Planned rests just mean that your guests don't have their first bite till about 10-15 minutes. Guest will remember their cold steak in the back of their head.

Also, train your family and guests to eat their steak outside in and not cut it down the middle!

Your steaks look great! Nice job.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Looks good. I do not t let them rest after they hit 130 IT. Put them on a plate with some garlic butter and enjoy!
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Nice looking steaks!  What are you using on your hands to protect from the heat while removing the platesetter?
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    chashans said:
    Nice looking steaks!  What are you using on your hands to protect from the heat while removing the platesetter?
    I have a pair of gloves that I had for the fireplace. They worked great, I was a little concerned,
    but was not an issue at all.
  • NPHuskerFL
    And the steaks look great man.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,974
    edited April 2014
    Personally I never reverse sear steaks, nor TRex them as I prefer to hot tub mine for an hour and then just do a QUICK high temp sear and go to bed happy with a full stomach! 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    RRP said:
    Personally I never reverse sear steaks, nor TRex but I prefer to hot tub mine for an hour and then just do a QUICK high temp sear and go to bed happy with a full stomach! 
    Actually, that is a reverse sear. Wether you cook at 225-250º then blast with high temps or hotub, then sear or sous vide then sear, it is all the same. The traditional method (whatever traditional is) was to sear the juices in then cook. Slow cooking with whatever you like, then high heat to obtain Mailard is a reverse sear. I think. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,974
    OK - technically you are correct, but my point was I don't mess with heating and removing my PS or whatever indirect method, then tenting, foiling and blessing the meat! LOL
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    RRP said:
    OK - technically you are correct, but my point was I don't mess with heating and removing my PS or whatever indirect method, then tenting, foiling and blessing the meat! LOL
    @RRP You have more than 1 BGE, just roast on one and sear on the other. ;)
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    For you Ron @RRP‌ ... ;)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Reverse searing, Trex, and hot-tubbing are all doing the same thing: breaking the cook into two parts.

One is to cook the meat through to a desired temperature (or bring it very close), the other is to sear it.

This is the rationale for leaving a steak out to get to room temperature as well, although no one ever truly waits long enough for the steak to reach room temperature. Note that the other cooking methods raise the internal temperature higher than room temperature though.

Who cares which way you do it? I choose the easiest and most predictable for my purposes.  Your choice may be different.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    No need to rest when using this technique.  The idea with the slow first part is to get the interior up to temp (like sous vide).  The rest traditionally is so the heat can "coast" to the center.  It's already there in this case.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,432
    I thought the purpose of the final rest was to allow the juices to redistribute and stabilize in the meat? 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NPHuskerFL
    @NDG‌ it is. But, frankly that rest is usually achieved by the time you pull it, plate it and get it to your guest.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SenecaTheYounger
    SenecaTheYounger Posts: 368
    edited April 2014
    Looks like the different methods of searing have been addressed.  This concerns resting the steak.

The steak is rested not so much to allow juices to "redistribute" (although it sounds logical, and is difficult to unlearn), but (according to Harold McGee, highly respected food scientist) to simply allow the meat to cool a bit. This is for the purpose of retaining as much liquid as possible, because the colder the meat is, the more liquid it will retain. 

The idea is not to foil, because it will cause more over run, as well as delay cooling.  We're not talking about letting it get truly cold.  But if someone liked theirs steaks at (for ex.) 135-140, the exterior is that much higher, and needs to cool somewhat before eating anyway. 

If you cooked it to 160, and cut it immediately, we all agree there would be the maximum amount of juice on the plate, both from the high heat (cell damage) and the fact that the hotter it is when cut, the more liquid there is that will come out.

But if you cooked it to 160 (and no one wants that, just taking it to an extreme), and never cut it, but rather put it into the refrigerator until cold.  You'd be able to cut it and no juice at all would run out. 

Same for raw meat, which contains the maximum possible amount of moisture/juices.  If you cut it cold, no juice runs out.  There's no cell damage, except for where you slice it.

All other things being equal; cell damage from cooking, and meat temperature when sliced, are the two factors determining how much juice there is on the plate. 

Let the meat rest a bit.  It won't be cold when sliced, but will be cool enough to retain more moisture.

Funny thing is, juiciness is only perceived when the juice is free running anyway.  If you you could make it so that no juice at all ran out, the meat would be perceived as drier than one with juice on the plate. 

From "On Food and Cooking", Harold McGee: "Large oven roasts should be allowed to rest on the countertop for at least half an hour before carving, not only to allow the carry over to finish cooking the center, but also to allow the meat to cool down, ideally to 120°F/50°C or so... As the temperature drops, the meat structure becomes firmer and more resistant to deformation and its water holding capacity increases. Cooling therefore makes the meat easier to carve and reduces the amount of fluid lost during carving."

He's actually less enthused about resting for steaks.  Practical experiments showing no true benefit to resting a thinner cut.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seneca Falls, NY

• NDG
    SenecaTheYounger . . . any thoughts on the "rest" for slow cooked tougher meats we all adore so much?  In other words, do you agree that a pork shoulder pulled at 200F does not need to be rested at all?  Assuming you agree with this . . . why?

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • SenecaTheYounger
    edited April 2014
    There's no real need to rest pulled pork, because by the time it is done you have already cooked as much moisture out of it as possible.  The long stall is evaporation, actually, not the break down of collagen.

It just so happens that although that moisture is long one, the melted collagen makes the meat feel moist in its place.

Cut a slice from a pork but at 135-140, and it should be as moist as a pork chop.

At 165-170, it will be dry, with most of the water driven off.

But at 200, it feels wet again.  That's the melted fat and collagen, not moisture from water.
    There's always some amount of water left, sure.  Which means that when you take the pork butt off the smoker, it is in peak condition.  If you pulled it right away (and heck, I do), it will steam.  Steam is water saying goodbye.  So, sure, better to maybe let it rest until it isn't 200 internally, but who can wait?

But resting for a couple hours in a cooler doesn't magically cause the meat to be more juicy.  It is an excellent way to control serving time, allowing you to park the pulled pork for a few hours.

Seneca Falls, NY

• NPHuskerFL
    edited April 2014
    How to Cook a Steak in a Pan - Gordon Ramsay: http://youtu.be/1FYZHkjgwdc
    Steak> I cook mine raised grid at 250℉ dome. If the consumer is wanting med well I pull once i.t. reaches 125℉ and rest. (and then you just adjust for different end cook temps ie med rare, med, med well & well...if they want rare or med rare depending on thickness of the steak it may only get seared). This allows for carry over cook rise on i.t. After relaxed if it has bone in I like to use c.i. grid for sear and if it's a filet I use c.i. pan for sear. I sear each side and and then edge for appearance.
    Look there are so many different ways to do a steak. Not necessarily a right or wrong way. Once you get a method you are comfortable with and achieve the results of "This is the best steak I've ever had" comments from guests etc. Then stick with it.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SenecaTheYounger
    edited April 2014
    I agree, NPHuskerFL

But ook deeper and you will see that these are all essentially the 'same' method.

Which is: Heat in one manner to achieve desired internal temperature, then heat again in another manner for the desired sear.  Either order works (sear forst or last), with allowances for carryover depending on when you sear.

Each of these has one purpose: to deliver a properly seared steak to the table, which internally is heated to the desired temperature as evenly as possible across the entire thickness.

The lazy way, searing until done, creates a small core of 'perfect' surrounded by a continuous gradient of evermore overcooked meat.

For thin steaks, it's irrelevant. just sear.  But for thick steaks, two-part cooking is the best way to achieve optimal results.

Sous vide then sear. 

Hot-tub then sear. 

Sear, rest, roast.

Roast, rest, sear.

Roast, hold, sear.

They are all two-part cooks, effectively achieving the same thing on the plate. It's just whichever you prefer.

Seneca Falls, NY

• NDG
    Ok great, one last question:

my ears are itchy . . . does this mean my brain is growing?
    Columbus, OH

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    @SenecaTheYounger It's freaking great to have you back. I truly missed your input!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • @cazzy
    :-/

Thank you, I think? I was travelling yesterday, but not gone long. It is nice to be missed though. Unless I am missing why I was missed?

Seneca Falls, NY

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Caz is just being loco, hombre.  He was bottle-fed and he's thinking you're some reincarnation of an old poster "Pliny_the_elder_egghead".  Ignore his trolls.
    edited April 2014
    He is not a troll from what I can tell. But i can understand if someone thought I was.

I lurked as "greenfingers" or "fingers" (or something similar), on the defunct forum, from around 2008 until they took it down.

I liked it, and learned everything I know from a very few active members.

Beibg socially immature, I never engaged.

I tried to go back last summer, but my saved link did not work. I signed up here a couple times but was never able to post.

I finally got a confirmation email in March.

I honestly feel odd actually posting after all these years. But my clinician tells me I need to "reach out". Since I lost my only true friend in life, my therapist says I should try making social friends (I have many 'industry friends').

I have to realize that in writing I can seem extraordinarily perfunctory. And I apologize for that. It's just that I see things as "obvious'", and am confused at the confusion of others.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. And for putting up with me. I am 52, and for the first time trying to make (internet) friends. If that works, I may try actual friends

Someone said I was like a robot. It brought me back to academy. I was called 'The Robot' for seven years.

I liked all of them. Wonderful kids

But none of them liked me

Nice to have some measure of camaraderie.
    First time for everything

Seneca Falls, NY

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Sorta the same story here.  Your comments are logical and I can't argue with them except with petty nit-picking, which I sadly can't help myself on occation.  It's self-indulgent to always want to be right, but it feels good to mostly be right and play a devil's advocate for that last inch, lastly, it's satisfying to have an intellectual conversation about anything.  That is you, internet friend.