Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Green Egg on BBQ Pitmasters tonight!

Options
Be sure to check out BBQ Pitmasters on Destination American tonight 9:00\8:00 CT. We use our favorite cooker off all time, our Big Green Egg, along with our stick burner in the cook. 

An embarrassing tid bit is we left our metal top back home (1,200 miles away) and we couldn't find one anywhere near the cook site. So.....we used aluminum foil with vents. Worked great. :)

-Matt
www.meatchurch.com

XL, Large, Mini-Max in Texas - Big Green Egg Competition Team 

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Good luck and tell Big Moe I said hello.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Awesome, I'll be watching.. I won't hold leaving the DFMT at home against you - I don't use mine for 90% of my cooks!
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    I have my DVR set to record it
  • Catmandiesel
    Options
    What's the title? BBQ Border Battle?
  • BYS1981
    edited April 2014
    Options

What's the title? BBQ Border Battle?

Oops, misread the question.
  • MeatChurch
    MeatChurch Posts: 200
    Options
    Lone star smoke war

• jccbone62
    jccbone62 Posts: 248
    Options
    Thanks for the invite, I'll be watching for you guys.
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Hmm, just went looking for it and it looks like its scheduled to air on Tuesday at 6:00 here. I'm going to DVR tonight at 9 just in case.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Will be sure to set my DVR so I don't miss it. Thanks for the heads up. Very cool!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DIAD
    DIAD Posts: 187
    Options
    I watched it. How come you didn't use the BGE for the brisket?
    Thanks!
    Chester, MD
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Just watched it... Cool seeing the egg. Why didn't you just use the egg for the whole cook?
  • MeatChurch
    Options
    Couple reasons. Both meats have to be turned in at the exact same time. I had my BGE setup for high heat (700 degrees) and my Jambo running at 275.

I get a deep smoke ring with my stick burner that is really hard to replicate on an Egg. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Watched the show...looked good to me. Love the redneck daisy wheel.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • BYS1981
    Options
    I don't want to be harsh, but bro.. Myron and you both need a hair cut. lol jk!

Good stuff man, what teams do you tailgate for? The RAIDERS, have a few crews that set up too, but I've not been.
  • MeatChurch
    Options
    LOL......

The Cowboys.

BYS1981 said:
    I don't want to be harsh, but bro.. Myron and you both need a hair cut. lol jk! Good stuff man, what teams do you tailgate for? The RAIDERS, have a few crews that set up too, but I've not been.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Right there with Cen.

Why didn't you use the BGE for the brisket you ask?

Cause a high quality stick burner will crush a BGE in a brisket cook off. A true indirect heat source with a draft. A crap ton more work but the results are worth it.

The BGE is a great all around cooking vessel that requires very lil effort. Low and slow can produce good results, but great low and slow results come off a good stick burner.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • DIAD
    DIAD Posts: 187
    Options
    I had no idea. I am brainwashed that the egg is the best invention ever. I have never seen a stick burner in person and I have no clue if I've ever eaten from one. Thanks for the clarification!
    Chester, MD
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited April 2014
    Options
    @cazzy even still would been cool to showcase the eggs ability to do it ALL. No disagreement in regards to stick burners specific purpose and that is low & slow.
    And +1 on what @DMW‌ said I also have to wait till Tuesday to watch/DVR.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited April 2014
    Options

@cazzy even still would've been cool to showcase the eggs ability to do it ALL. No disagreement in regards to stick burners specific purpose and that is low & slow.

I hear ya...but he wasn't there to showcase the egg, he was there to win it all.

I'm way past my egg honeymoon...I use whatever gives me the best results. Sometimes...wait for it...I use my stove or oven. :P
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • dagriller
    dagriller Posts: 74
    Options
    I saw the show, it seemed like you had it on taste if only you had made it through the stall. Great show and I kept seeing clips of egg before you actually cooked on it. I was wondering if you were going to use it or just had it for backup. My first time watching, very interesting.
    LBGE Johns Creek, GA
  • henapple
    Options
    I've learned a lot here but to reiterate what cazzy said and I've heard from other hard core cooks..whatever works best.

While building a house the Mexican brick layers asked me over for lunch. Chicken fajitas. ..Open fire, 2 cinder blocks and a mesh screen from somewhere off the job. They would put most "mexican restaurants" out of business.

If I cooked for large groups I'd buy a stick burner...but I only have one friend. ..@Cazzy.
  • henapple
    Options
    Is that the "Travis method"?

=))
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

@cazzy even still would been cool to showcase the eggs ability to do it ALL. No disagreement in regards to stick burners specific purpose and that is low & slow.
    And +1 on what @DMW‌ said I also have to wait till Tuesday to watch/DVR.

He's not selling eggs- he's selling his craft. His craft is better done a stick burner. We are all egg-centric on here but it's a big world out there people.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker‌ no doubt. I had an offset smoker for like 20 yrs. Each tool (grill, smoker etc) has a specific purpose. But, the BGE IMHO is more versatile and I use it damn near 3x per week + weekends. And to be able to get consistent results makes it the grill that it is. True the operator has to know some but, the BGE is a hellva lot more forgiving than my ole stick burning offset ever was and I turned out some good Q off of it.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker‌ no doubt. I had an offset smoker for like 20 yrs. Each tool (grill, smoker etc) has a specific purpose. But, the BGE IMHO is more versatile and I use it damn near 3x per week + weekends. And to be able to get consistent results makes it the grill that it is. True the operator has to know some but, the BGE is a hellva lot more forgiving than my ole stick burning offset ever was and I turned out some good Q off of it.
    I

We are saying the same thing (sorta). Versatile is great .....until you want to win the money. Then versatility goes out the window and specificity wins. Same guy side-by-side cooking the same grade brisket on an offset and an egg.......egg loses every time. You can filet a fish with a chef's knife but a filet knife is better.
  • MeatChurch
    Options
    I got 1 flat to 197 and to 200. I need 20ish more mins. I knew it wasn't where it needed to be on tenderness which is 30% of your grade. 50% was taste which I nailed and 20%for appearance which they loved. Lost by 1 point and the rest is history. 

"That's the way BBQ go!"

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    "That's the way BBQ go!" "............you must be a Tx rangers fan.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options

I

We are saying the same thing (sorta). Versatile is great .....until you want to win the money. Then versatility goes out the window and specificity wins. Same guy side-by-side cooking the same grade brisket on an offset and an egg.......egg loses every time. You can filet a fish with a chef's knife but a filet knife is better.

Same guy that knows how to use both cookers. :)
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker