Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New BGE Brand Table - Paver Only?

I just paid a hefty sum for BGE's Cypress Table  and added some more $ for this Authorized Seller to stain it

I get both Table & Large BGE delivered this saturday

If you'll note the attached picture, this table comes with a paver under the Egg.

Everything I've read on the board here says  need air gap  not a single paver only, but if I add a table stand, look at the height this will be at

not to mention the hole gap and  then worries about stability.  Why would BGE  make a table not suitable for air gap & paver?

My dealer insists the paver is sufficient..  but I've seen a picture on this board showing charr under a paver??

Suggestions?  I'm stuck with the table - paid for staining already.     I  can't wait for delivery, very EGGcited,  but I wanna do this right!

Doug/Jaime in Tucker, GA   Could almost walk to BGE Mothership  LBGE

Comments

• three quarters will work,spaced out at 120 degrees
    or copper plumbing tees. You don't need a very big gap/
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    three quarters will work,spaced out at 120 degrees
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Jaime_Doug
    Jaime_Doug Posts: 57
    edited April 2014
    you mean as an adequate "air gap"?  If yes  COOL!  (or at least less warm)   PS:   like ur avatar. saw it the other day  . That's a cookout  :-)
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    You could also use terra cotta plant stand feet. I found these at lowes for like $6.00 for 3. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    I wonder how hard it would be to lower that bottom shelf. Never seen an official BGE table but I bet it wouldn't be very hard
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    It looks like there are two screws in through the face of the front and back supports and I'm guessing there are a few middle supports as well. It would be easier to use something short to create an air gap than to move the shelf.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    The Mothership claims that the new table nest is now the recommended way to provide an air gap, so I'm surprised the dealer told you that. I use the clay planter feet from lowe's myself.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Nathan_C
    Nathan_C Posts: 32
    edited April 2014
    You could use a table nest and not use the paver if you're worried about the overall height.
    West Fargo, ND
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    The dealer and the BGE corporate told me the same thing (paver is sufficient) when I bought my Egg and build my own table.  Had it out there two years and no scorching or even heating up is evident. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• KennyLee
    edited April 2014
    2" thick concrete paver by itself is sufficient. 

LBGE

• KennyLee

Where's the paver?  I saw a similar picture when I got my Egg, but the guy was using a thin piece of household kitchen tile.  No way that would happen under the paver I'm using.  It doesn't even get hot when the Egg is 750*.  I feel plenty safe with it and would tell anyone else the same.

LBGE

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    My table just has a paver under the egg with no air gap.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I saw a pic here where the paver had scorched the wood Fwiw.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • KingtUT
    KingtUT Posts: 157
    edited April 2014
    I'd say it depends on what's under the paver. I have the 3/4" feet under mine. and the granite got warm after about 20 minutes at 600 degrees and another hour at 400. It was along way from burning but it did get pretty warm. No way in hell I would cook without at least a 3/4 " air gap
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    henapple said:
    I saw a pic here where the paver had scorched the wood Fwiw.
    folks will want an air gap after seeing the pic(s). Can somebody post them?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • henapple
  • KennyLee
    edited April 2014
    The only thing different under my paver is the stain is darker since it's not exposed to the elements.  Couple years and several hundred cooks from low and slow overnights to 800* steak sears. 

LBGE

• henapple
  • huntdiv
    huntdiv Posts: 2
    I have finally completed my table. I have been using pavers and have not had any issues. I have had up to 700*. All is well. 
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    I've got an older official BGE table for my large, but my setup is old enough, it came with the 3 little feet, so it sits on those on the table (no paver).  I'd lose the paver and use something else (like a table nest, plant stand feet, or even a couple of smaller pavers so the bottom of the egg has some air space under at least part of it.
  • KennyLee
    edited April 2014
    Tile is definitely a no-no and was the only time I found a bad result when doing research when I got my Egg and built my table.  2" concrete pavers are fine.  The 16x16" ones in the landscape department at most hardware stores or HI warehouses will do the trick just fine with no problems.

LBGE

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    From what I read on the link that @henapple‌ shared, the only thing under the egg was a piece if tile with a high fire rating. That doesn't mean that the tile can't conduct heat, which seems to be what happened. I think that a 2" paver under the egg will provide a much better heat barrier than a tile.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • KennyLee
    And one more thing.....as @Nathan_C mentioned, you can buy the table nest and get basically the same height as a 2" paver.  I think the table nest is 1 13/16".  However the table nest is around $30 versus about $4 for the paver and far less stable based on my experience.  The Egg tends to "tip," for lack of a better term, with the nest when opening the lid.  Either would do the job though.

LBGE

• Just looks like everything is going to raise the egg to an "unnatural" height in the hole... So much for "Mfgr's Table" wish I were handy... Everything except the 3 quarters idea...
  • KennyLee
    edited April 2014
    In your picture, it looks like the paver is inset.  If not, what is the depth of the shelf from the top of the table?  I've built quite a few tables for Eggs and always set the shelf depth to allow for about 2" under the Egg for hinge clearance up top.  I'm surprised the manufacturer didn't do the same. 

LBGE

• Jaime_Doug
    Jaime_Doug Posts: 57
    edited April 2014
    I agree KennyLee. I'm gonna determine the BGE model # and either call BGE HQ or go over there and "grill" them a bit on the supplied insulator. You folks have been great on opinions. I'm just surprised BGE wasn't more conservative in insulation choice. I am happy to augment/replace the insulator, I just don't want it so high it looks like a plump ICBM coming out of a silo. Ugh. (And yes it is inset a bit)
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Take a closer look at the supports under the paver. It would help if air can reach the bottom of the paver but I'd still feel better with at least a little air gap between the paver and Egg. Here's a read for you: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/eggbase/eggbase.htm
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • The inset paver is 2" thick supported by slats
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    I only use the new table nest, no paver. The wood below the egg is cool and I have had no problems what so ever. It also looks nicer(side perk)

Some like both, some run a straight paver, some run feet and paver..... really depends who you talk to.
  • Well I'm rolling the dice with the 2" paver, mostly air below due to the slats. I told the retailer if it burns thru to my concrete patio, I'll be at his store with a protest sign :-) PS my order for an R&b rig showed up. Wow, solidly built. I'm adding a CI grid for sears prior to dropping AR on for finishing and that's it for awhile. Tom from ceramic grill store really tailored the AR COMBO TO WHAT ME/wifey want to do short and medium term. Thanks all, I'll be asking loads of questions in the other sub-forums. Thanks for the educational welcome! Glad to be a new egger.