Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chimney cap?

DIAD
DIAD Posts: 187
It seems to be raining lately when I'm trying to cook.  Does anyone have any opinions on Chimney caps?  Other than keeping the rain out is there any other benefit versus the daisy wheel?  Looking at the CGS one can you control the temp just as good as the supplied daisy wheel? 

What home remedies does everyone use to keep the rain out?  I'm not going to build a roof over the patio :) 

Thanks!
Chester, MD

Comments

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    I just cook with the daisy on with no problems. I've cooked on downpours and haven't had any issues because of it.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • sstripes96
    sstripes96 Posts: 152
    edited March 2014
    I have used a cheapy beach umbrella that I tie wrapped to the side shelf bracket and the nest. When I get my outdoor kitchen done, I will have a mount for a better umbrella.
    Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    My DFMT now sits in my along with the ceramic cap in a cupboard. I haven't used it once since purchasing my Smokeware SS Cap. I'm able to dial in on slow and low. On cooks above 350 I pull the cap off and just control from the lower vent. And I'm able to snuff the lump out with it as well. As far as rain that was specifically why I purchased mine and even in FL heavy downpours and steady all day rain I've been able to smoke packers etc. For obvious reason the Smokeware would not help during a cook above 350 only because the cap would be normally pulled. I really like mine.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    The Smokeware SS Cap is a major upgrade. Period.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I made these for six or seven bucks a piece with parts from Lowes.  Not pretty, but they fit perfectly over the DFMT and get the job done.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Just got my Smokeware SS Cap in after I broke my ceramic cap. This is the way to go!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Another for the smokeware cap. Keeps rain out and shut down is much faster than with the ceramic cap.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Springram said:

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    +111

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I HATE cooking in the rain. So I stopped doing it. And I rarely use the DFMT so the Smokeware cap always seemed a waste for me. I do have a $5 hardware store chimney cap that I've used a couple of times when the rain caught me in the middle of a cook. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NPHuskerFL
    +3 on Smokeware SS Cap. Great company that I had the absolute pleasure of being able to talk with the owner and tour his facility here locally. Very well made product that simply WORKS.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Jeffroe189
    Jeffroe189 Posts: 273
    edited March 2014
    Smokeware is the only way to go. Plus it looks nice to. I can cook 450+ with the cap installed. I only pull mine when doing pizza.
    Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE, MiniMax, Blackstone
  • Smokeware cap for me too...I have used mine on my xl for temps above 600-700 fonts wide open. ..humm...maybe I should pull it for pizzas and searing?
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Smokeware SS Cap here also !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • NPHuskerFL
    @Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic‌... +1 I've been pulling the cap for anything above 350F-400F and control from bottom vent only and it has worked well.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Man..
    I learn something new every day if I'm not careful...
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    I can't believe no one has mentioned the best thing about the Smokeware SS cap.  I was reading this and wondering what is everyone talking about, I'm not worried about an occasional raindrop that could get through the daisy wheel, I like my ceramic cap for shutdowns.  But I googled the smokeware and found it on Amazon and read the description and features.
    "Will not fall off or change settings when opening or closing grill".
    While I've never had my daisy wheel fall off, I do get irritated by the fact that most of the time when I open the lid, it slides open and needs to be adjusted after I close the lid.
    I just placed my order on Amazon, too bad it won't arrive for this afternoon's smoke.

Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited March 2014
    Zmokin said: ".
    While I've never had my daisy wheel fall off, I do get irritated by the fact that most of the time when I open the lid, it slides open and needs to be adjusted after I close the lid.

Guess it is too late for you but the solution is to line up the two bolt heads in your daisey so they are perpenditure to the handle and your setting will never move upon opening.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Zmokin said:
    I can't believe no one has mentioned the best thing about the Smokeware SS cap.  I was reading this and wondering what is everyone talking about, I'm not worried about an occasional raindrop that could get through the daisy wheel, I like my ceramic cap for shutdowns.  But I googled the smokeware and found it on Amazon and read the description and features.
    "Will not fall off or change settings when opening or closing grill".
    I just placed my order on Amazon, too bad it won't arrive for this afternoon's smoke.

My daisy wheel fell off and broke within the first few weeks of owning my egg.  Bought the cap and have been very pleased.
  • If you turn the daisy wheel so that the hinge is always at 6:00, then when you open the lid it will never change positions.  I still want to the Smokeware, but it's easy enough to get the daisy wheel to hold position.  Since I started doing that, I've never had it change on me.
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • DIAD
    DIAD Posts: 187
    Sold!
    Thanks everyone!!
    Chester, MD
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    I was griping for most of the year my smoke ware was not shutting my egg down. Well I tore the gasket off the egg top and placed oneon the cap itself. Problem solved aand I am a fan now.image
    Seattle, WA
  • RRP
    Yup...the gasket inside instead of on the dome will seal it tight!
  • NPHuskerFL
    @RRP‌...Ron, is there a reason why you did not use Rutland? This is what I used and it is airtight and isn't going to need replaced.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    I used a regular gakset I had leftover if you ate not pulling it on and off no reason why it would need replacing IMO.
    Seattle, WA
  • NPHuskerFL
    @SkinnyV‌...I normally pull it off after a long smoke to completely clean it. I'm OCD that way I guess. Lol
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Springram said:

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    This.  Sounds like you're enjoying it,  John  :) 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    I tested one of the prototypes. It's still on my BGE working as designed.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • RRP
    edited March 2014
    @RRP‌...Ron, is there a reason why you did not use Rutland? This is what I used and it is airtight and isn't going to need replaced.
    I merely used what was sent in the box. Yes I suppose in time it may need to be replaced...I think I know that "Rutland guy" when that need comes to be. hehehe 
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    RRP said:
    Yup...the gasket inside instead of on the dome will seal it tight!
    Yep, that's what I did.  I read the instructions that said to put the gasket on the egg, but knowing I might want to still use my daisy wheel and/or the ceramic cap, I decided to put the gasket on the stainless steel  cap, and I can tell it fits tight pushing the cap onto the egg.  I think I prefer the look of the black cast iron daisy wheel, but I'll probably get used to this look eventually
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.