Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chips or Chunks

TxBeekeeper
TxBeekeeper Posts: 54
edited March 2014 in EggHead Forum
First smoke coming up Sunday! Y'all a wood chips or chunks fan? Using my UDS over the past years I always used unsoaked chunks.

Comments

• jmcnutt5
    jmcnutt5 Posts: 88
    What are you smoking? If it is poultry, I would recommend chips because you don't want too much smoke. For long smokes of pork or brisket, I prefer chunks. Everybody has their preference though. Just think of how long you are cooking and remember how many chips it will take to get a chunk. That is why I like chunks. Good luck.
  • I'm cooking a pork butt first. How many chucks do you use? Couple handfuls?
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    3 or 4 fists worth ?
    Toronto
  • Rzeancak
    Rzeancak Posts: 193
    I've always brought chips when i had one of those gas BBQ things.  lol now i onley buy Chucks... and if i need chips i trim with my hatchet...

Most time i trim anyhow for the quick smoke start then the chucks take over.
    A child can ask questions a wise man can't answer!!!
    Canada
    Large @ Small BGE 

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    I tend to use both, through a few chunks on, toss a handful of chips
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• sstripes96
    sstripes96 Posts: 152
    With the butts I scatter 4 or 5 chunks in with the Lump so that as the lump burns down it starts the chunks. I also set one right on top. For poultry or short smokes, I use chips.
    Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Bought 2 bags of chips today at Big Lots, only $2 each, one Mesquite, one Hickory, steal of a deal.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Wood is wood. It makes no difference what you use. The total volume of wood is what you want to pay attention to. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Wood is wood. It makes no difference what you use. The total volume of wood is what you want to pay attention to. 
    What he said - in an egg. In a Weber or gasser, different story, but in an egg, it really does not matter. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • texbagger
    texbagger Posts: 90
    I use chips, a whole bag of about 3 pounds, mixed in with the lump.  No worries, it smokes for hours! love the final product whether it be pork butt, ribs, chicken, or brisket.  Whatever works.  $2.75 for 3 pounds of chips at my local grocer, HEB in San Antonio. Be it cherry, pecan, oak or hickory, it's all good in the end product.

Thanks for the opportunity for my 2 cents...
  • mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    Chunks, chop them if you need smaller size.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Like everyone else said, as long as the amount is the same, it doesn't matter.

In one of the half cords of wood that I bought for our competition trailer last year, I got some very short (10" or so) hickory logs mixed in.   I split them with the rest of the wood, but smaller, maybe 1" x 1" by 10".   I  tried using some of them in the Egg - no problem at all, they worked great. 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This