Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

(Award Winning) Smoked Brisket Chili from Salado Eggfest After Party 2014

Here is the recipe that some of you have requested.  We served this at the Salado After Party.  Bruce and I entered our first chili cook-off in February at Spicewood Vineyards near Austin.  There were 40 teams serving chili and about 3000 tasters.   The judging was done "blind" by winemakers and people in the food business.  Lo and behold, our first time out of the shoot we won the grand prize.  We were so excited!  For the cook-off, we were required to bring a minimum of 5 gallons of chili, but since we "over do" everything, we brought 11 gallons. We made 3 gallons for the After Party.  At both venues there wasn't a drop left :)

Here's the recipe:  

SMOKED BRISKET CHILI
by
Kelley “EggObsessed” and Bruce “No Joke Smoke” Underwood

Yield:  1 ½ gallons

3 cups celery, chopped

3 small jalapenos, thinly sliced

3 purple onions, chopped

Sauté the vegetables in vegetable oil or bacon grease until translucent.  Then add:

4 cloves of garlic, pressed

Sauté for about 30 seconds.  Add the following spices and bloom them in the hot oil with the veggies.

½ cup + 2 TBL chili powder (I use Pendery’s Original Chile Blend which is available in the Central Market bulk section or here:  http://www.penderys.com/ )

2 tsp. smoked paprika

2 tsp. cayenne

1 TBL cumin

2 tsp. Mexican oregano

2 tsp. granulated onion

2 tsp. granulated garlic

Once this mixture has bloomed, add:

1 c. red wine (Pinot Noir or Claret)

Reduce the wine down for about 10 minutes.  Then add:

1 14 oz. can tomato sauce

3 15 oz. cans diced tomatoes

3 cups LOW SODIUM beef stock/broth

12 oz. V-8 juice

3 TBL Knorr Tomato Bouillon w/ Chicken Flavor (powdered)

2 TBL of whatever rub you used on the brisket (if other than salt and pepper)

2 ½ lbs. of cooked smoked brisket, cut into 3/8” cubes

(Optional: 1-2 20 oz. cans of pinto beans, drained and rinsed.  I always include these.)

Test for need to add salt

Bring up to a slight boil, then turn heat down and simmer until brisket starts falling apart (about 3 hours.  I always put a Simmer Mat (http://www.amazon.com/Simmer-Mat-5200-Diffuser/dp/B000W24RW8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395099826&sr=8-1&keywords=simmer+mat) under my pot to prevent scorching.  Works like a charm!

Enjoy!!

Kelley 
Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.

Comments