Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Deal

Stopped by Walmart yesterday and walked by the packer briskets. There was 1 left that was 2 days from the sell by date. I ended up getting a 14 pound select packer for $20. Price was $2.09/ pound. I saved $12 off of the regular price.
Mark Annville, PA

Comments

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    So this is what Cen-tex was talking about in his anti-franklin rant! I'd be cooking them every week at that price.
    Dunedin, FL
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Several months ago at our local WM they were $2.38/# for choice packers. Now they are $2.98/#. I will still get one for that price once it warms up outside for an overnight cook.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Kind of hit or miss for me with Select on brisket.  But that's a great price.
    @yzzi cen was referring to when he could get choice or above for $2.49. Due to the brisket boom in Austin, that's now nearly $5#...even for select.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I'll say it agian just for fun.

I get choice brisket for $2 all year long.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    There's a flesh eating organism driving up beef prices.  I think it's called H. sapiens.

I'll say it agian just for fun.

I get choice brisket for $2 all year long.

What are you saying again travis? Not too clear
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Do you have a Costco locally? 2.89 for prime.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    caliking said:

Do you have a Costco locally? 2.89 for prime.

That's not everywhere though...select markets. San Antonio Costco locations don't get prime briskets. If sure that's the same for other locations. You're luck sir!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    You got a helluva deal though. Saved almost 40 percent. Good news no matter how you slice it (pun intended)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    The brisket I had today was 15.18 per pound. Then again, John Lewis cooked it.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Other than the butcher shop at absurd prices, Walmart is the only place nearby that sells packers. My costco only sells flats. I could go to Shady Maple but I don't have time to get down there. @travisstrick‌ this is south central PA, not Texas. I'll take what I can get.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    @Eggcelsior-how does it compare to others you have cooked/enjoyed??
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832

Other than the butcher shop at absurd prices, Walmart is the only place nearby that sells packers. My costco only sells flats. I could go to Shady Maple but I don't have time to get down there. @travisstrick‌ this is south central PA, not Texas. I'll take what I can get.

IMHO Shady's briskets aren't any better than the Excel Choice at Walmart. Every time I'm at Wally World I check to see if they are marked down.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    I'm tired of reading these threads about reasonably priced brisket and just sent the following to Costco's customer support email.  Others in the NE might want to jump in.  Maybe a change.org petition too, or would that be overkill?  

Please make full packer (12-15 pound) briskets available at warehouses in the Northeast.  I understand that these are regularly available at warehouses in the south and Texas - and usually for $3.00/lb or less.  Currently, only brisket flats are available, and even in the vac packs, they are usually 7 pounds or less.  Flats do not barbecue very well, since there's not enough mass or fat for long, low and slow cooking.

We like smoked brisket in NY too and you even sell the ceramic cookers that make it so well!  Please provide the right brisket for us!

Many thanks,

Mamaroneck
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Mama, I'm right there with you. I will follow your lead with the Florida stores.
    Dunedin, FL
  • lousubcap
    @Mama-hopefully you may get some traction as here in KY until a few weeks ago, I would only see packers (choice)  about three random weeks of the year.  Recently and for the past three weeks anyhow Costco has had prime packers for $2.99/#.  And yes their flats are $4.69/#.  Take the brisket and run!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    lousubcap said:
    @Eggcelsior-how does it compare to others you have cooked/enjoyed??
    From my understanding...the brisket they had was nothing like the brisket I enjoyed.  It was a tad over and didn't blow he or cen-tex away.  Dissapointed.  
  • lousubcap
    @cazzy-thanks for  the input and I did catch CT's summary on another post.  Just goes to show that even the anointed brisketeers can have an off day.  That said, their off is better than my best any day.