Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Akorn Little Red

Options
Well, we pulled the trigger and bought a place in Florida. For the next few years we will likely go down a couple of times a year. I can't live without my BGE but it doesn't make sense to buy one for a few weeks a year? I see Menards is clearing out the Akorn little red cooker for $139. Anybody have any experience or thoughts on this product? I'm headed there next week and could buy one on the way down if it is a decent option?
In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I do not have one but for that price I would go for it.You not out that much if you dont like it. People on other forums have them and seemed pleased with them.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    edited February 2014
    Options
    That's what I am thinking? It won't be an egg but should allow me to get similar results! I'm hoping someone has one and can give me a hands on review.
  • Tackman
    Tackman Posts: 230
    Options
    139? I would do it. It's still a kamado!
    Cleveland, Ohio
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    My buddy has the larger Akorn and it turns out food that is comparable to the egg.  It doesn't have the build quality of an egg and I wouldn't expect it to last forever, however if you store it out of the elements I would imagine it would give you years of use.  

One other thought is to just buy a small or mini and carry it with you when you go :).  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• dconder
    Options

I've had an Akorn for a couple of years.  I have no complaints with it other than it is a lot more tricky to hold constant temps.  Especially low below 300.  I bought an Auber for mine and that helped a lot.  I have only had my XL BGE about a month but I have not used the Akorn since.  The build quality is night and day.  But for the money, especially at $139, I think the Akorn is a great cooker.  It will do about anything just takes a little more patience to do it.

• GlennM
    Options
    Well, i ordered it and will pick it up next week. It should be all i need when were on holidays.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Where in FL?
    Dunedin, FL
  • GlennM
    Options
    Naples.
  • legomyeggo
    legomyeggo Posts: 113
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I am in a similar dilemma - will be wintering in Florida from Jan through April from now on. . My primary home has my LBGE, family, and pool. Here in Florida, where I just arrived last week to start fixing the place up it is the two of us most of the time. Was looking at the Vision for $589 with cart and table and 2 grids. Occasional entertaining here will require extra space from time to time and the cheap gasser is pretty temperamental. Much closer to the LBGE than that Akorn but still significantly less pricey with all the standard items. I expect when we will be here for 4 months at a time we will have family drop in for a week here and there to get away from winter... I am in Sebastian on the east coast,.
  • GlennM
    Options
    It looks to me that the Akorn will work. I will report back after I have a chance to give it a workout. I know I have the egg at home so I won't feel deprived as long as I can make a good steak, some ribs, spatchcock a Chicken, etc! Fingers crossed! Are you a cdn as well?
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    This little guy did hit $125 a few weeks ago. Once it hits $100 I'm all over it. I do have a Big Steel Keg, and it cooks with similar results as my bge. Though with the huge price increase on BSK's over the past year, I would not recommend a bsk anymore.
  • GlennM
    Options
    I got it for $139 at menards. Picking it up on the way down
  • legomyeggo
    legomyeggo Posts: 113
    Options
    Primary home in Pennsylvania. Going to Sunshine eggfest in Melbourne and will see what I may be abve to pick up there. Demo LBGE going for $636, No cart, Just the egg.
  • odie91
    Options
    Glenn, how is that Little Akorn working out for ya?  
  • GlennM
    Options
    Very well actually. We are back home now but put it to good use with ribs, wings, spatchcock, steaks, etc. I was very pleased with it! Doesn't use much lump, easy to control. I need to make some kind of deflector for indirect. I picked up a steel plate the right size at a second hand store, now I just need something to mount it.
  • Gator_Man
    Gator_Man Posts: 138
    Options

I say get a small Egg and take it back and forth, that is what I did with a medium Egg for our NC home. Now I take a small in our motor home to FL in winter time. Check out this link about akorn. Good Luck.

http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/egg-or-kamado-style/char-griller-kamado-acorn-grill

Jupiter Jim / Gator Man

I'm from North Carolina summer and Okeechobee Florida winter.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

• odie91
    Options
    Just scored the Little Akorn for $99.   Website shows $139, but I sent my wife to go in person to use up some rebate checks, and it was $99 on the shelf  =)
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    @odie91 - from where?
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Chillicothe, OH is showing $99 online if you select that store, FWIW

The Naked Whiz
  • odie91
    Options
    GATABITES said:
    @odie91 - from where?
    Menards
  • odie91
    Options
    Oh weird, Whiz, it does show $99 online now.  I checked the price online the night before at $139 and it literally must have dropped to $99 the next morning when we bought it.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    If I were up there I might buy one just to test it, LOL!

The Naked Whiz
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    99 at my local menards. How do you do indirect?
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• GlennM
    Options
    I found a thread in another forum that tells you how to make a diffuser with a canning rack and a metal plate. Wow, that's a great price!