Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Seasoning for thick chops

Terrebandit
Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
edited March 2014 in Pork
I've been making thinner pork chops as of late because the seem more flavorful. I actually prefer thicker chops because they are generally more moist but many times I can't get the seasonings to penetrate well. Any ideas on how to get a good seasoning taste to penetrate thick chops??
Dave - Austin, TX

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Terrebandit
    I prefer thick chops as well. I usually brine for about 4 hours them rub with your rub of choice. Has always turned out well. Just a simple brine works miracles. Hope this helps.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    +1 on brining. The salt will help carry the rub flavor with each bite.
  • SGH
    Terrebandit
    A great rub for pork chops is Tony Chacheres original creole. Its cheap available every where and darn tasty.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Terrebandit
    @SGH‌ I'll give that a try. What brine recipe are you using for 4 hours?
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Terrebandit
    This is what they looked like tonight. image
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • SGH
    Terrebandit
    I use 1 cup salt and 1 cup brown sugar dissolved in 1 gallon of water. Have used this basic brine for years on every thing from pork to poultry with very good results.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Terrebandit
    One last tip.On thick chops the reverse sear works wonders.

Status- Standing by.

• Terrebandit
    SGH said:
    Terrebandit
    One last tip.On thick chops the reverse sear works wonders.

. Yes, I do that now. Do you use kosher salt???
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Simple wet brine of brown sugar and salt or you can dry brine for and hour while the prep is going on and the egg is coming to temp.  Remove excess salt and season with your favorite rub and egg.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    As others have said, brine them.  You will not be sorry.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • SGH
    Terrebandit
    I use what ever salt we have in the kitchen. I have read all the stuff about dont use this or that kind of salt. I find that it makes little difference. Try it for your self and I think you will agree that to much is made out of what kind of salt to use. Just dont use rock salt and you will be ok.

Status- Standing by.