Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ideas for stuffing a pork loin

We are having friends over for dinner Saturday night.  We will be out all day and not get home to ~5-5:30 due to kids sports.  Friends coming over ~6.  I am looking for a cook idea that is ~1.1.5 hours to cook (including lighting/burn off time).

I was thinking a stuffed pork loin would work if I found one Friday and prepped it Saturday evening and stored in the fridge overnight.  Looking for stuffing ideas?  Not really looking for true BBQ taste but something really good.  Spinach, provoloe comes to mind but what else is good?  Rub?  Also how to roll it uniform and keep everything inside?

If I do not do a pork loin what else can I cook?  Or even along with the pork loin for appetizers?

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500

Morning robnybbq:

Here is a link to something we have done with pork loin a few times...called Hawaiian Pork Chops, very easy & tasty... http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1013585&catid=1

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• I like to butterfly, fill with brown sugar, apples, and rum, then bacon wrap. Family loves it.
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I think cutting a "triple-fly" is the way to go with pork loins. Cut as if to butterfly but a third of the way down, not half. Open it cut side up, and at the inside join  cut another third of the way down and across. You should have three "panels" of roughly equal size. 

Do note that butchers often tie two loins together to get a "round" roast. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    i like a sausage and bread stuffing, this i think was chourico and bread with sauted celery, onions, and chicken stock. i like this style because the gravey makes it all moist
    photo 004-42.jpg
    photo 010-21.jpg
    photo 024-4.jpg
    photo 028-3.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I did a cornbread stuffing and cranberries a while back and was surprised how well it came out.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited February 2014
    I usually make a farce from ground pork and add an egg, panko, craisins, diced dried apricot, walnuts, cinnamon, S&P. I also to the aforementioned "triple fly"
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    These all look good. I have only done the spinach provolone thing. Time wise though I would say allow at least 2hours from light to serve. For a faster cook you could do a london broil or even chicken. Think like an Iron Chef!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • I like Italian sliced meat and cheese. This is tenderloin but it would be easier with loin.
    ( Procuitto and Calabrese salami
    Provolone, green onions and sliced garlic
    Sundried tomatoes, bomba
    Pile of Genoa salami
    All wrapped up
    Egged
    Very good

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    LS. I'm impressed!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Wow LS!!!! That looks good!
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • I've done a lot of stuffed tenderloin over the years. Splay out 3 to 4 tenderloins, overlap and pound them out. as one. I like a lot of stuffing cause tenderloins are sort of flavourless on their own. They make great wrapping for good stuff though. B-)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Bread stuffing.
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Basil and cream cheese create a pretty good flavor. I like to add some diced bell peppers to that.
    NW IOWA
  • Bread and sausage, pancetta and/or bacon with dehydrated apples and other fruits are really good. Onions peppers celery etc.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I've done a lot of stuffed tenderloin over the years. Splay out 3 to 4 tenderloins, overlap and pound them out. as one. I like a lot of stuffing cause tenderloins are sort of flavourless on their own. They make great wrapping for good stuff though. B-)
    Little Steven - This looks awesome, I might try it tomorrow night.  I assume you do this indirect w/smoke?  What temp/time did you go with?  Also to prep the meat you just bought a normal pork tenderloin, butterfly, and hammer out?  Thanks, looks great!
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    LS - that looks great.  There is no way I would be able to roll something like that.  When I did the provole, spinach most of the stuffing fell out.

May change plans again.  I need a short cook as of timing to get home.  Get home at 5 and want to eat around 7.  Dont want a spatchcock or plain steak.

May end up ordering out due to time constraints.

Garnerville, NY
    Little Steven - This looks awesome, I might try it tomorrow night.  I assume you do this indirect w/smoke?  What temp/time did you go with?  Also to prep the meat you just bought a normal pork tenderloin, butterfly, and hammer out?  Thanks, looks great!

I normally use three or four tenderloins. Splay them out and pound individually, overlap so that all new edges will be outside when you roll. Pound out all the edges and cut into a rectangle and cur all the uneven edges. Use what you've cut off to fill any holes or thin areas. Lay a couple of deli meats opposing directions, that will give you your seal Make sure your last layer is another sliced meat. It's important to have as much stuffing as you can get so you don't jelly roll it. You don't want raw meat in the middle.

As far as cooking I go raised direct at 375* or so. Maybe 40 minutes, I don't use smoke cause there is so much flavor there already. Hope that helps. PM me if you have any questions

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• robnybbq said:
    LS - that looks great.  There is no way I would be able to roll something like that.  When I did the provole, spinach most of the stuffing fell out.

May change plans again.  I need a short cook as of timing to get home.  Get home at 5 and want to eat around 7.  Dont want a spatchcock or plain steak.

Dude you gotta try some stuff or you are always going to be apprehensive. I came up with this on my own and I didn't take no stinkin courses.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    edited February 2014
    All of those look great. 

@LittleSteven that looks awesome! I am impressed. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq said:

Dude you gotta try some stuff or you are always going to be apprehensive. I came up with this on my own and I didn't take no stinkin courses.
    I want to try - just dont know how.  the last stuffed one I made ended up with most of the cheese spinach on the coals.

My issue again this weekend is pressed for time as usual.  I dont have the luxury of hours to prepare/cook meals.  Now just found out my wife has to take one of the kids somewhere so that leaves me by myself to cook everything in an hour. 

Hello Pizzaria.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq said:
    robnybbq said:

I want to try - just dont know how.  the last stuffed one I made ended up with most of the cheese spinach on the coals.

My issue again this weekend is pressed for time as usual.  I dont have the luxury of hours to prepare/cook meals.  Now just found out my wife has to take one of the kids somewhere so that leaves me by myself to cook everything in an hour. 

Hello Pizzaria.

That's the reason I use the deli meat. Holds everything inside

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• robnybbq
    How do you get the 4 pieces of pork loin to stay together where they overlap?  Do you wrap it in paper first then tie it?  I can see it all falling apart if I just rolled it,

Garnerville, NY
  • I do that with tenderloins but I'm used to doing it. Do it with a loin but pound the **** out of it so you get a bigger piece to work with. When you have it all uniform thickness, cut enough twine to tie it every 1 1/2" or so. Lay them all out straight on your cutting board, do the stuffing and take one end and tuck it under the other. Tie the first couple  and close up the end with skewers and carry on tightening and tying till you get to the other end and skewer up. You are probably looking at 15 minutes max to splay and pound out, another 5 to stuff it and 5 to tie it. That is Maximum timing IMO.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• robnybbq
    What about stuffing chicken breasts?  Any secrets? 

Can they be stuffed the night before and stored somehow?

Garnerville, NY
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Sure- I don't see any reason you couldn't prep chicken or pork loin the night before and keep it in the refrigerator.  Honestly I think the pork loin may end up being less work because you only have to do one big one instead of dealing with several breasts. 

For chicken breasts you could do something like the "Chicken Bombs" and wrap them in bacon.  Same idea- you will want to butterfly them and then pound them flat.  

I haven't tried this recipe but it looks pretty good and has a video of the technique:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• robnybbq
    That looks great as well.  Trying to avoid bacon but will have to try one day.

Garnerville, NY
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    You saw this right?  Debone and stuff the whole bird! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• robnybbq
    I saw that - looks great - do want to experiment with that this weekend.  Maybe another time when I dont have guests over so when it comes out like crap I will not feel that bad.

Garnerville, NY
  • Dude! Procuitto, two kinds of hot salami and cheese inside pork? What can come out like crap? Put some pancetta in there too or wrap it in bacon.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• robnybbq
    Do you cook the pancetta or get cooked (deli meat) pancetta? 

Just a plain pork loin (Not tenderloin), with prociotto, provolone, will be enough flavor?  Anything else that will make it pop?  I will have to prepare this tonight and refidgerate overnight until I get home.  Any type of rub besides "Byrons Butt Rub" or DP *Raging river, tsunami spin, red eye, fajitish, - or make my own?  I dont want a basic BBQ flavor so I may not use the Butt Rub for this,

Garnerville, NY