Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Would You Let Someone Else Use Your Egg?

Comments

• No way would I let them use my Egg the only person other then me to use my Eggs is my son not my wife ,daughter or other son I would be putting your egg in storage
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • I say no. I wouldn't mind letting somebody use it once or twice, or as long as I was around maybe, but putting it in the care of somebody else for a year would make me unconformable. 
  • LBC Dawg
    LBC Dawg Posts: 116
    I would. Hell, it's just a grill/smoker. 
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    If you can amortize the cost of a replacement from the rent, and you feel you can provide adequate training, go for it! Personally, I wouldn't.
    Santa Paula, CA
    Sums up my opinion
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • if you are renting out your house, with the egg there, he will and probably will use it.  Make sure it is in the security deposit.  If you don't want him to use it. Move it and put it in storage.  If you put it in the security deposit and he cant use it, If I were him, I'd ask you to move it out of the house so there are no accidents.

heck,  another way to solve it.  Sell it to him and promise to buy it back for what he pays you for it.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I presume you are going to meet this person prior to them staying at your house. State that you own this device and ask him if he is interested. If so, walk him through it and leave instructions. I presume you are collecting a security deposit so that is one way to insure against loss. If he says no, put it in storage or at a friend/family/neighbor's to help prevent against accidental loss(presuming those listed understand what the Egg means to you). In the end, it is just a grill and it is replaceable. Are you keeping a locked room or storage area? Stick it in there while your away. 
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    edited February 2014
    If he breaks it or messes it up (uses lighter fluid after your instruct him not to), have him replace it.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Had someone house sit for a weekend.  Didn't think much of it.  I know he's eyed my egg before but I never thought he would use it without asking.... he did.

He broke the f*&#ing handle.  To make matters worse, he didn't tell me; I found out next time I went to use the egg.  I really have no clue how he managed to break off both of the bolts.
    I called him on it and asked if he used my egg.  He said yes, but only once and knew nothing about the handle.  Really?  Them almost be fighting words.  At least he used lump :/

I swear it was like he slept with my wife.

So to recap, when I go out of town I'm locking my green wife up.
    BGE in the ATX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Simple issue here-It's either part of the rental deal or not-a subset of a spa or pool (although they can't be easily stored..) as part of the contract.  You decide how to address and then write the contract to make sure you are satisfied.  I would go for it. And yes, I have owned primary residences that became rental properties for a total of somewhere around 20-25 years.  Just an opinion and good luck!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I'd let a renter use it as long as he/she was willing to learn how. If they are really in to grilling, they will understand the value of a nice piece of equipment. Explain the cost and that they would be on the hook for damages. For me, if I'm not that into grilling and I'm on the hook for a $1000 grill, I'm not going to use it.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • JohnInCarolina,

As someone who has had rental properties for years, and an egg owner/lover, no matter what you think you know about someone, when the property doesn't belong to them, quite often people do not take care of it as you wish they would. Of course, there are always exceptions. Every three years or so I have to invest 4-5K in one or both of my houses because the renters haven't lived up to their promises. And, that is even with rigorous background investigations prior to renting. 

That said, I personally would not even consider leaving my egg with a renter unless I was willing to replace it upon my return. I have loaned articles of furniture and other household items to renters only to have them move out without notice and disappear with my property. Maybe I'm somewhat jaded. But, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Of course you have to make the final choice, but my suggestion is to clean it and store it. One time squirting starter fluid into it and the taste is there forever.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Reminds me of 'I will let the sixteen year old neighbor girl babysit my kids, but no way I,d let her drive my car'. I'd let him use it if he wants, and maybe have the cost of a new Egg in the security deposit in case something happens not covered by warranty. With instructions and the link to the forum.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • lots of good points for both sides. I say if you want a new egg, give the demo, leave clear directions, and start dreaming about the new egg.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,868
    edited February 2014
    henapple said:
    What's overseas?
    I'll be on sabbatical at the Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology (OIST). I'm actually wondering if I won't be able to find a Kamado of some sort while we're over there.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited February 2014
    While you are there I would learn the drum technique, so if your renter breaks your egg you can do this:

Live or die man???!!!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    That's awesome...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Fun fact: Okinawa is 60% military males lol.
  • BREWnQ
    BREWnQ Posts: 219
    I love my egg but its just a 'thing' that could easily be replaced therefore would have no problem letting someone else use it especially since you'll have replacement money in the security deposit.  
    Brewer, BBQer, Softballer, RCer, Father, HomeTheaterer, and trouble maker.
    Orange, CA
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    edited February 2014
    Not unless they were bringing their egg and wanted to use mine for making sides.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    I wouldn't chance it. Store it for safe keeping. Not to be stingy but an egg is a rather large investment. Why risk it? If it helps, buy a cheap gasser for him to grill burgers on.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    BYS1981 said:
    Fun fact: Okinawa is 60% military males lol.
    Talk about a sausage fest.
  • tell him he can rent it...  or buy it from you... maybe even raise the house rent $25/month and then teach him to use it. Once he learns it and you come home, he can have it and you buy a new one.... or something along those lines. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • I'm leaning towards teaching him how to use it (assuming he's interested) and emphasizing that it's expensive and we have a security deposit. Plus I'll point him to the forum so he can bug all of you with questions.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824

I'm leaning towards teaching him how to use it (assuming he's interested) and emphasizing that it's expensive and we have a security deposit. Plus I'll point him to the forum so he can bug all of you with questions.

Just remember that we didn't pay a security deposit.
    NOLA
  • Sell it. Then, buy one in Europe. You are willing to go a year Eggless?

MN. LBGE. Vikings. Beer. YETI 75.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,868
    edited February 2014
    EGG_Daddy said:
    Sell it. Then, buy one in Europe. You are willing to go a year Eggless?
    Okinawa is in Japan, there, big Daddy.
  • EGG_Daddy said:
    Sell it. Then, buy one in Europe. You are willing to go a year Eggless?
    Okinawa is in Japan.  
    Didn't see that.  Wrong sea.

• Isn't Japan the origin of this grill style?  They'll have something over there.