Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buyers remorse ( eggcessories that are useless)

So after I got out of the crosshairs this past weekend ( see BUSTED thread) I took a good look around and it made me realize that maybe she was right. I do have a lot of stuff that I don't use. If I had never bought that stuff I would have the money for the mini that I have been wanting. So I thought I'd share some of those things so maybe it will help some of the newer members. 1. Crappy food probes (the ones that stay in thru out the cook) I bought 2 before I bought the maverick dual probe. One was a Taylor and another no namer 2. Food thermometer. Buy a good one. Thermopens are expensive but I'd buy any thermoworks product before I bought any other piece of junk. Thermo pop looks nice. Stay away from the big green egg thermo made by maverick. Junk! 3. Vertical roaster for chicken. Lets face it. Spatchcock is the only way to go 4. Place setter and pswoo. I actually like those things but I wish I had an AR instead. It seems like a plate setter is a must buy when you first get your egg but then ..... 5. Various utensils. I have a huge spatula. Never use it. Some flipper thing. Never used it. Tongs and normal spatula work just fine. What do you have that you don't use?
LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    I do have a partyq. It's awesome but it doesn't FREAKIN ROCK!!! So I guess I messed that up too

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited February 2014
    I admit I have several toys myself, but only one thing I bought years ago, tried to use it once and didn't like it and it is still new and in the box in the basement. It was a a special fire ring made for a short while that was only 2 inches tall.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    My plate setter. Had it for six weeks before I got an adjustable rig and stone and haven't used it since. That was two years ago and it's still sitting in the same place I left it. :))
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    edited February 2014
    My advice to a new egger would be to buy refractory bricks.

I bought plate stter for the medium I acquired 4 years ago and still use it to this day but with my XL that I got a little more than 1 year ago I am more than happy with my refractory bricks set ups.

I have 20 or more bricks but use conisistently in my XL:

-2-6 bricks for directing heat and or raising grids or both.  Some I cut in half, both directions.
    -20" Baking steel which is better than a plate setter.. indirect heat and amazing searing
    -2 stainless threaded rods that are cut to length to span the llenth of fire box to hold up the BS
    -multiple grids

I really want an AR. But I can create so many variations with these variables + cast Irons pots/pans and pizza stones.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • plate setter... used it once before getting my AR
    Aurora,OH
  • Rzeancak
    Rzeancak Posts: 193
    bge wireless thermometer for me....
    A child can ask questions a wise man can't answer!!!
    Canada
    Large @ Small BGE 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Royal Oak Lump... oh snap.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Ash tool .
    Cut the end off mine and made a wiggle rod out of it.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Yes I forgot the BGE cookbook. What a waste!!!

• Yeah I agree on the BGE cook book I have read or should I say leafed thru it when I 1st got it and did cook one dish from it but now I get almost all my info from right here what a waste of $50.00
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Only had my Egg for 2 months, but the ash tool is something I could do without.
    It may have come in the start-up kit as the Egg was a Christmas gift from my wife.
    I find it awkward to use, so I pull the grate & use a wide putty knife to scoop out the ash,
    then sweep whats left into a small dust pan I picked up at the Dollar Store.
    No ash is pulled through the bottom vent. That's a pain in the a**
    Peoria, AZ == XL BGE, Weber 22.5 Redhead, Fiesta Blue Ember Gasser
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Maverick. Haven't used it but 3-4 times. Already had a Polder which is fine. 

I have no use for an AR and thankfully, never succumbed to the hype. Platesetter is just fine. Has been for four+ years.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Maverick. Haven't used it but 3-4 times. Already had a Polder which is fine. 

I have no use for an AR and thankfully, never succumbed to the hype. Platesetter is just fine. Has been for four+ years.
    Watch yo mouth son!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• rtt121 said:
    My advice to a new egger would be to buy refractory bricks.

I bought plate stter for the medium I acquired 4 years ago and still use it to this day but with my XL that I got a little more than 1 year ago I am more than happy with my refractory bricks set ups.

I have 20 or more bricks but use conisistently in my XL:

-2-6 bricks for directing heat and or raising grids or both.  Some I cut in half, both directions.
    -20" Baking steel which is better than a plate setter.. indirect heat and amazing searing
    -2 stainless threaded rods that are cut to length to span the llenth of fire box to hold up the BS
    -multiple grids

I really want an AR. But I can create so many variations with these variables + cast Irons pots/pans and pizza stones.
    Thought I was alone here, but bricks are great. Had the chance to pick up an AR, but thought twice and realized I just don't need it. PS works just fine for indirect cooks, which is about 30% of my cooks. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Steel vent cap. Not needed and does not shut down my egg very well.
    Seattle, WA
  • Carolina Q

Watch yo mouth son!
    Son?  =))

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Love C Q ... Always keeps it real....and frugal
    I'm with you on oven pizzas.... Bge burns too much lump not that much of a difference
    Seattle, WA
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136

Hype? Lol

It's awesome product anyway you slice it. I use mine 95% of the time and would feel limited by a platesetter. I never bought the PS so I didn't have to spend much for a superior product.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • henapple
    Oh yeah
  • Carolina Q
    cazzy said:

Hype? Lol It's awesome product anyway you slice it. I use mine 95% of the time and would feel limited by a platesetter. I never bought the PS so I didn't have to spend much for a superior product.
    Maybe. If you need it. I mostly cook for one and have a free way to raise the grid. And a PS for indirect. Why would I want to spend that kind of cash on an AR? Not saying it's not a good product. Too many people feel otherwise. I'm saying I don't need one.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824

I don't know...I'm totally happy with my MANGRATES

I also love your MANGRATES
    NOLA
  • stantrb
    stantrb Posts: 156
    PBR. Makes me feel like I should be wearing skinny jeans.
    Minimax and a wood-fired oven.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    The beer can chicken holder, and that half moon raised grid thing. Used both once and they sit with the Weber now.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Carolina Q
    edited February 2014

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cazzy said:

Hype? Lol It's awesome product anyway you slice it. I use mine 95% of the time and would feel limited by a platesetter. I never bought the PS so I didn't have to spend much for a superior product.
    I cook on my BGE at least 4 times a week.  I probably use my PS at least half of the time.  I consider it my most valuable add-on.  I could not imagine being without it. 
    Columbia, SC

• Carolina Q
    SkinnyV said:
    Love C Q ... Always keeps it real....and frugal I'm with you on oven pizzas.... Bge burns too much lump not that much of a difference
    I got over the egg honeymoon some time ago. The egg does many things better than a kitchen stove. But, there are plenty of things that are just as well done indoors. And done a lot easier. While the cook stays a lot warmer this time of year!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• henapple
    the swing out legs.  Wobbly and just about useless since you couldn't put anything under it. 

I resemble that remark...