Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New here and have an adjustable rig Question for you folks.

I have had my egg for years and lurk on here often and have learned a lot so thank you all. I have several great toys to go with it such as a thermopen, stoker, act…. and now I am really interested in an adjustable rig. I have looked at them online and I am confused which set up to go with. The one item I know I want the oval stone. What other parts and pcs do I need? I have a large egg. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. I also want to thank the people that posted about the open box Thermapen, that is how I got mine. 
Thank you,
Chuck
Suwanee, GA

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I recently bought an AR (last week) - the R&B combo. I have cooked with it a couple of times and like it a lot.

I also bought the sliding D rack and the rig extender. That may have been a bit too much, but maybe I'll figure out how to use it as time goes on. I only got 1 oval rack and slide guide, but I think I need to get another oval rack and slide guide.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • I have the R&B combo with the extender. 
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Spend a little time thinking about the types of cooks that you want to do. Then, call Tom at CGS and discuss it with him. He won't steer you wrong regarding what you need and don't need.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited February 2014
    I see this question posted often, most people say call tom but the guy may just want to know what's the setup to get. Or what do you have.
    If you have the setup, how many cross bars do you have how many grids, extra slide guide etc. if you get the extender does he need another grid and cross bar? A slided guide also?
    I know when I was looking at it, its confusing. It almost looks like the extender and grid etc are a must if you want the true setup.
    A post of what you have, and a pic may be helpful, and heck save Tom 15 minutes, and the question is answered for future posters. not everyone wants to call Tom then not pull the trigger when it all adds uo to $250+.

Just my opinion.
    Seattle, WA
  • ChuckR
    ChuckR Posts: 248
    Thanks Guys. Skinny I do not have any parts to an adjustable rig yet. I just have a plate setter. I looking to get it for long cooks, i.e. brisket, pork shoulder act…. plus raised grid items. 
    Thanks again to all of you. 
    Suwanee, GA
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I have the R&B combo with one sliding grid. I would like some day to get the grid extender.
    Dunedin, FL
  • The A/R will not work with a plate setter in a large so you will need a spider and stone for indirect cooking. I have the customer combo, it has worked out pretty well, the extender would be nice though. Good Luck !

Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Brimo
    Brimo Posts: 53
    I'd ad the 16" round stone almost ahead of the oval. Do all cooks u can do with the oval with a little more indirect area, plus if u add the extender u will have a great pizza setup.
  • I'm wanting more information on this also. Tired of taking extension bolts on and off.
    Large BGE, Holland Gas Grill, Masterbuilt electric smoker, Oklahoma Joe, Flame Boss
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Sell the plate setter on CL. Put the money towards the rig. That's what I did. I don't miss that hunk of ceramic one bit.
    Dunedin, FL
  • KingtUT
    KingtUT Posts: 157
    R&B combo, oval stone and extender. You won't regret it. Seriously, just do it.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    I  have the R&B combo oval stone, oval grid and the 16 inch round grid. I also have a 16 stone and i have to say I use it the most. I have a 16x2 pan that i use as a drip pan and it covers the bottom of the pan perfect. I would recommend getting extra cross bars in case one comes up missing. They are also useful as a spacer between your stone and drip pan if you use one. Hope this helps my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• R&B Combo for sure. The one thing extra I would get with it is an additional Oval grid and slide bar. I do not have one but will be ordering soon. It comes in handy when you are doing ribs or wings and you want to rotate the grids. Right now I have an oval and a round and it is great for something but if I want to rotate I have to grab the meat with tongs and rotate. hope this helps in your decision process. The AR is the best accessory for the egg in my opinion.
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    I'd also like to see pics of these set ups. Maybe I can consolidate so it doesn't look like I have so much
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Brimo
    Hey grege345, you will find plenty of pictures of various setups on the ceramic grill store's website.
  • grege345
    Gotcha. But none of them are sitting in an egg to see it all work

• ChuckR
    ChuckR Posts: 248
    Wow thank you for all of the responses. I really appreciate all the advice and help. You guys are awesome. 
    Suwanee, GA
  • konablue50
    konablue50 Posts: 81
    edited February 2014
    I spoke to them about what I needed in regards to the oval one...they sent me this back..

Gordon
    South Florida
  • I will also be adding the foil ring as well
    Gordon
    South Florida
  • grege345
    It's gonna be hard for me to hide that.

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    grege345 said:
    It's gonna be hard for me to hide that.
    If you're like most of us... it gets harder to hide eggsessories every month or two!
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    OK, I got the set-up for Christmas and here is my two cents:

Get the R&B oval combo - sell your PS because you won't need it anymore.
    The extender and sliding D is a MUST.  I use it all the time.  It gets the cooks high in the dome.  I will often just put the standard grate on top of the extender because it has a larger cooking area.  Did two chickens last night.
    I also bought the spider and pizza stone - Went all in - Why not? I am glad I did.
    I love the foil ring that sits on the oval stone.  It serves as a drip pan for your indirects and you just throw the foil away afterward.  I have perfected bacon on top of the extender (direct) and will post that later.
    It all seems complicated at first but is really easy after you jump in.

Milton, GA.
  • caliking
    Anyone know the diameter of a medium grid? Will it fit the AR?

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited February 2014
    So if you put the standard on the extender do you need to pay for another grid? Is it just a "nice to have" or needed.
    Seattle, WA
  • caliking
    @SkinnyV - the sliding grid for the extender can be pushed back to allow access to the grid below. Not an absolute necessity, but some folks may like it.

• Brimo
    SkinnyV, U can and will use the standard grid on top of the extender but I think they now make a round grid that will fit inside the rig on a couple of crossbars, which those two grids above the 16" round stone would give u a lot of indirect cooking area.
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    SkinnyV said:
    So if you put the standard on the extender do you need to pay for another grid? Is it just a "nice to have" or needed.
    The extender comes with a sliding grid (I think) so you do not need any others.  Once you have the AR, you will figure it out quickly and come up with the set-ups that work the best for you.  My only issue is where to store all of the parts...
    Milton, GA.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited February 2014
    I think folks are only looking at the shop.ceramicgrillstore.com site where you can order the goods and not looking at the other site (www.ceramicgrillstore.com) which has all of the set up & cooking pics like this: http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/large-adjustable-rig/bbqing.html
    There are red "tabs" at the top for different types of cooking like "grilling" and "pizza" that take you to narrative pages with cooking & set up pics for that type of cooking. If that's not enough, check out the Photo Gallery on that site for user pics of their AR in action.

IMO, if you think about the type of cooking you like to do or want to do and look at the set up pics, you should have a pretty good idea of what you need to order.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA