Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question for multiple egg owners?

Options

Comments

• SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    Just got my small over the weekend, still in the box, but I bought it mainly for a travelling egg.  It will go on vacations with us whenever possible.  I figure it will pay for itself pretty quickly when not always going to restaurants.  The better food and just the fun of eggin are an added benefit.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,753
    Options
    i bought a small to go along with my large and found i never used it much at all. later bought a vision kub similar to a bge mini, and use that grill all the time
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I've said this before, but IMHO, cost should not play a huge role as long as you're not stessed financially. I own my eggs because I enjoy the hell out of 'em! If I worried about cost/benefit analysis, I would still be cooking on a Weber.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    I currently have a LBGE and may have an opportunity soon to get a great price on a small. My question is though, for multiple egg owners, do you use all of your eggs that often? Under what circumstances? Is it really worth having more than one egg? Do you fire up multiple eggs at once or is it just a matter of the type of meal your cooking? I'm just second guessing myself right now if it's really worth investing in a second egg.
    You're on the right track, having multiple outdoor cookers is a plus IF you cook a lot outside.  But I would look into a Kettle as a nice compliment to your egg.  For one tenth the price you will get an extraordinarily versatile cooker that will handle all overload & secondary cooking tasks quite beautifully.  Don't default to the belief that because you have an egg you can only have eggs
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    It's enough of a pain to get one charcoal grill up and running. Forget two. But that's just me. Or maybe I'm just the only one who will admit it. :)

Really? How hard is it to get one Egg/charcoal grill going? How are you lighting your eggs? Weed burner gets mine going in no time.

If you love your Egg, you'll love having the flexibility of having two even more. We go back and forth cooking on the large and the mini. Just depends on how much food we are cooking. On the weekends with groups of people over, we often have both going at the same time.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Most times I cook I have at least two of mine going.  There have been a few occasions when I have had four going for a party or some catering for friends, but I don't think I've ever had all five going at the same time.

XL not pictured.

Mike 

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I don't find lighting my egg difficult. I pour charcoal, put oil on a paper towel, light it, wait until fire it's too temp.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options

"You're on the right track, having multiple outdoor cookers is a plus IF you cook a lot outside. But I would look into a Kettle as a nice compliment to your egg. For one tenth the price you will get an extraordinarily versatile cooker that will handle all overload & secondary cooking tasks quite beautifully. Don't default to the belief that because you have an egg you can only have eggs"

+1.  I definitely cook more on my egg than any of my other grills, but when I need a 2nd grill I just light one up.  On my last multi-grill cook it was the egg and the gasser.  I've actually found that the skils, techniques, and patience I have developed on the egg have made me a significantly better cook on my (and numerous friends' and family's) Weber kettle. 

So, if you need - or just want - a second grill then get one.  It makes life easier on a lot of levels.  If you are having a hard time justifying the expense, or just want to see if a 2nd grill is worth having, consider getting a cheaper grill.   You can get a used Weber kettle in decent shape on Craigslist for $25 - $50.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• shadowcaster
    Options
    I have a Large/Medium combo and love it. I have both of them going quite often and for numerous reasons. If you can afford it and can think of one reason to do it I would go for it. You will find reasons to use both, I know I have.
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    edited February 2014
    Options
    My first egg was a large. Was tired of wasting lump for small weekday cooks. Being only my wife and I the small made more sense. (I also had fantasy football championship money burning a hole in my pocket) Plus I was looking for an egg that was portable for tailgating. The large and small get fired up together every once in a blue moon. Not very often though. It's usually one or the other being just the two of us
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    edited February 2014
    Options
    One EGG is far better than no EGGs.  One EGG is great but at times can be somewhat inefficient and wasteful.  (cooking for 2 vs 20).  I have a XL and a Medium. They both get used plenty.  (less in this VERY COLD weather).  I like firing up the smaller grill for a steak or two, burgers or a single chicken or pork butt.  I also like the space and versatility of the larger EGG for having a bunch of friends over or cooking to stock the freezer.  If its a good deal, I would go for it.   
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    RRP said:
    Gosh! Michael...I can't believe you were even THIS kind! Just an idea - why not sell that BGE while you can still get something for it and buy some more Webers? I AM NOT being nasty - I just know how much you hate BGE - maybe others here don't realize your "jaded opinion!" Good night.
    I wasn't trying to be unkind, Ron. I don't "hate" the egg either. I simply bought one too many. Not two. I was only trying to point out that the OP needs to make up his own mind based on HIS needs, not everyone else's. To think about how he cooks before he just buys another one. Wish I had done that.

Will probably never understand those who toe the company line as you do. It's just a grill. A product. But I do know that if I don't drink enough of the egghead Kool-Aid, you will always be there with one of your "good nights"... where you stamp your feet, take your lump and go home.

Lighten up, Francis. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Options
    I'm incensed! You berate the smallest egg in the family and come back here like nothing happened...you...you...you hypocrite! Do you understand you have sullied the reputation of the entire Green Egg Family? How can you be so cold?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    :D

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    It's not even Friday night on the Interwebs.

There is a meme for this!

• stantrb
    stantrb Posts: 156
    Options
    Where the hell were you guys for the Saturday night fight?
    Minimax and a wood-fired oven.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    There was gunplay and I missed it?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

There was gunplay and I missed it?

I must be spending too much time with my family.
  • Max232
    Max232 Posts: 76
    Options
    I have a xl and a medium and have on occasion both going at the same time, it is convenient. Had em both going tonight :) I use the med with a ci grate for searing and the xl to finish up, I also made me a smaller charcoal ring for the xl to save some lump.

Stereo egging w/ xl and med eggs! BBQ guru

http://www.facebook.com/BeerGutsAndPorkButtsBbq

• Crimsongator
    Options
    I'm incensed! You berate the smallest egg in the family and come back here like nothing happened...you...you...you hypocrite! Do you understand you have sullied the reputation of the entire Green Egg Family? How can you be so cold?

I have owned and sold 2 mini eggs. I did take a look at the Weber Joe the other day. I might just get one (just to incense you) and have 4 different brand smokers at the house  :-)
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    RRP said:
    Gosh! Michael...I can't believe you were even THIS kind! Just an idea - why not sell that BGE while you can still get something for it and buy some more Webers? I AM NOT being nasty - I just know how much you hate BGE - maybe others here don't realize your "jaded opinion!" Good night.
    I wasn't trying to be unkind, Ron. I don't "hate" the egg either. I simply bought one too many. Not two. I was only trying to point out that the OP needs to make up his own mind based on HIS needs, not everyone else's. To think about how he cooks before he just buys another one. Wish I had done that.

Will probably never understand those who toe the company line as you do. It's just a grill. A product. But I do know that if I don't drink enough of the egghead Kool-Aid, you will always be there with one of your "good nights"... where you stamp your feet, take your lump and go home.

Lighten up, Francis. 
    Ron is good to leave out of the back door in a huff from time to time. It is one of his endearing qualities  :-)
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I've got 4 different brands of smokers.  I didn't know I was incensing Little Steven by doing that.  I guess that is just a side benefit...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Crimsongator
    Options

My current 3 are BGE, Jambo Backyard and Backwoods patio

• Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    Wow..A Capt. Hulka and Tackleberry reference all on one page...Two of my favorite movies...
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • PA Dutch Egger
    Options
    I have 2 LBGE.  First one was 4 years old when I bought my second one in July.  I had al the toys for the large and did not have to buy anything extra for the second.  Use it both of them when we have family or visitors over,  Makes life easier making appetizers or dessert while main course is at different temp in second egg.
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I have an xl but considering a new addition...I frequently cook for 4...so i have been considering a Medium...but I also would like something I could load up for a tailgate...is the Medium too big for easy portability?
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • JerkChicken
    Options
    I would love a second egg! But honestly, I like having different options too. I've had a nice gasser for a while that I cook most of my sides on. The convenience is unmatched, and I really don't require another egg to sear veggies. I also have a kettle grill I enjoy too at a fraction of the cost of an egg. Don't get me wrong, the egg is superior, but I am open to all types of grills. If I had the income, my yard would look like Bobby Flay's in Barbecue Addiction. I'd have every type of cooker imaginable, but my EGG would be right in the middle just like his show.

LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options

I have owned and sold 2 mini eggs. I did take a look at the Weber Joe the other day. I might just get one (just to incense you) and have 4 different brand smokers at the house  :-)
    Gene, if you like the Joe take a look at the Jumbo Joe too, it's a table top like the mini & regular joe but with a grid size equal to the LBGE, it's obscenely useful and at $59 you couldn't go wrong if you tried.  If it comes with the added bonus of incensing Steven well then it elevates to  the perfect purchase.
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • micheggin
    Options
    large and a medium...
    the large speaks for itself and the medium has been a great addition for sides but also plenty big enough for pretty much everything on our menu.  the medium uses less charcoal and heats up very quickly and closely resembles the cooking times and temps of the large.  great thing about the medium is that it's still portable.... pretty beefy but not too difficult to throw in the back of the vehicle for vacation or a tailgater.  i'd like one of each but for now just the lbge and mbge.  love having the options!
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I was thinking about this thread and was going to.post pics but kids were listening to tunes. Fired up the mini and large tonight. Thighs on the mini to throw on a BBQ chicken pizza while the large warmed up. Perfect harmony.
    8->
    Seattle, WA