Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pitmaster came

2»

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136

cazzy said:

I get the cost is less, but I didn't consider it because I didn't like the way it looked visually. Your secret agent has people think it's the greatest pit controller out there. I don't believe that's the case. b-(

Best bang for your buck? I would definitely give it that title! ;)

So what makes the other ones so much better......besides the looks (to you)?

Like I said in another thread, you should have heard what people called my BGE and Grillery  twenty years ago before they got popular.  Same words were used to criticize Glock handguns, Robinson helicopters, etc, when they came out, but they beat their critics based on their performance and own 50%+ of the market share now......and their looks didn't change at all, people just got used to it.

I'm a dealer for the other guys as well, so I'm just curious.  I sold over a hundred Pitmasters last year--one complaint from a guy with an Akorn; one unit that had a defective probe.  Otherwise everyone was happy, 'fugly' or not.

For me, my list was short because I needed (Ok wanted) something with WiFi to control when I'm at work or away. It has a lot to do with me being in Information Technology, so the Stoker satisfied my nerd.

I actually think the pitmaster is great, cause a pit controller does make stuff "even" easier. Afterall, if we wanted hard, we all would have stick burners. I think the price point makes owning one affordable which is awesome.

I've been chiming in, mostly cause I find ribbing RickyBobby enjoyable.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • RickyBobby
    RickyBobby Posts: 744
    edited February 2014
    I just don't get it. The Eggs are the ugliest damn grills a person could own. You want to pound your chest and be a big man ... get a large offset smoker setup on a trailer with huge smoke stacks and burn some stick wood. That will make you LOOK good! I like the Egg, though, because the way it performs. It's a proven performer. Pretty "fugly", but the Eggs work. If I worried about looks I would have bought a Primos Grill.
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    cazzy said:

For me, my list was short because I needed (Ok wanted) something with WiFi to control when I'm at work or away. It has a lot to do with me being in Information Technology, so the Stoker satisfied my nerd. I actually think the pitmaster is great, cause a pit controller does make stuff "even" easier. Afterall, if we wanted hard, we all would have stick burners. I think the price point makes owning one affordable which is awesome. I've been chiming in, mostly cause I find ribbing RickyBobby enjoyable.
    Fair enough.....WiFi is the only thing they don't have.  Sit tight, they will eventually.  One thing they'll have to do is make it easy to set up.  It needs to truly be plug and play before I'll feel comfortable selling it to someone less computer savvy than I.  I would rather see one Bluetooth or USB.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    cazzy said:

For me, my list was short because I needed (Ok wanted) something with WiFi to control when I'm at work or away. It has a lot to do with me being in Information Technology, so the Stoker satisfied my nerd. I actually think the pitmaster is great, cause a pit controller does make stuff "even" easier. Afterall, if we wanted hard, we all would have stick burners. I think the price point makes owning one affordable which is awesome. I've been chiming in, mostly cause I find ribbing RickyBobby enjoyable.
    Fair enough.....WiFi is the only thing they don't have.  Sit tight, they will eventually.  One thing they'll have to do is make it easy to set up.  It needs to truly be plug and play before I'll feel comfortable selling it to someone less computer savvy than I.  I would rather see one Bluetooth or USB.
    The problem with Bluetooth is it's limited range, and USB, well you have a cable to deal with. Now something with a USB interface and WiFi so you could use an application on a PC to configure the WiFi portion of the control via the USB interface...That might be interesting.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Thank god you guys stopped kicking each other.
    Bottom line is that it works like every other one out there and the price was right and I didn't have one before. Enough said!!
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    cazzy said:

Please not bluetooth.
    NOLA
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Post Office tracking indicates my pitmaster awaits. Thanks for the great service @stlcharcoal.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • GQuiz said:
    Post Office tracking indicates my pitmaster awaits. Thanks for the great service @stlcharcoal.

Let us all know what you think of it. What model did you get?
  • GQuiz
    Got the 110. Just going to use it to grill some fajitas. Using my new XL Woo2... It's like Christmas in February. Pitmaster set up too easily... I'm worried.

• It is easy. Wonder how low it will go. 200 ?
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • GQuiz
    Man, it's just like my 401K... set it and forget it. Worked like a champ.

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    "pitmaster came"

How ironic.  RickyBobby came when his showed up.=))

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • DMW
    BOWHUNR said:
    "pitmaster came"

Mike
    Someone finally posted what everyone else was thinking.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DMW said:
    BOWHUNR said:
    "pitmaster came"

Mike
    Someone finally posted what everyone else was thinking.

At least I let you all enjoy the experience with me :\">
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    This thread is working....I'm seeing pit master bumped so much I might pull the trigger.
    Plus the didgidx is $300+.
    Keep bumping this.
    Seattle, WA
  • SkinnyV said:
    This thread is working....I'm seeing pit master bumped so much I might pull the trigger. Plus the didgidx is $300+. Keep bumping this.

HaHaHaHa!!! These fellas can't figure that out. They think I threw the PitMasters in everyones face, but they are talking about it more than I ever would have imagined. They might top me in sales on the PitMasters. Karma baby! :D
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    I want to buy one and see if it blends!!!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • @SkinnyV ~ It is the Smart Buy
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    DID SOMEONE SAY PITMASTER!?!?

• DMW
    When I saw the thread title I knew what it meant, but all I could think was "Who is pitmaster, and why would I want to see that?"  =))

OK, I'm juvenile...

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• @Eggcelsior
    Literally laughed out loud at that one...
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Can I get a pm on each unit cost including shipping. 110 and 120.

TIA
    Seattle, WA
  • SkinnyV said:
    Can I get a pm on each unit cost including shipping. 110 and 120. TIA

You should prolly send @stlcharcoal a message in case he doesn't see this
  • LOL!! Kermit!! Shocked and appalled! Too funny!