Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

knock off of The Varsity chili dog sauce

Comments

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    How many dogs will the recipe "cover"?

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Just 1 batch, though I always do two batches, should give you about 9 one quarter cups of finished chili dog sauce which will be enough for 18 chili dogs, but maybe you want more!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Timbo66
    Timbo66 Posts: 109
    Thanks a lot REP.
    Large Egg, Warner Robins,Ga
  • Looper
    Looper Posts: 44
    Wow, thanks for the recipe!  I'm going to make this today!
  • Timbo66
    Timbo66 Posts: 109
    I ment RRP. Got to love auto correct. LoL.
    Large Egg, Warner Robins,Ga
  • jrb06
    jrb06 Posts: 52
    O.K. made a batch and the flavor is great but, am I missing something because it turned out more like a mixture of taco meat. I was expecting it to thicken up like a sauce. I did simmer it till most of the water was gone but it never turned into a sauce or thick soup consistency.  
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Made it last night and MDSH thought it was wonderful. Thanks for posting the recipe.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • RRP
    jrb06 said:
    O.K. made a batch and the flavor is great but, am I missing something mbecause it turned out more like a mixture of taco meat. I was expecting it to thicken up like a sauce. I did simmer it till most of the water was gone but it never turned into a sauce or thick soup pconsistency.  

Sounds like the meat was too coarse. Though it is a bit tedious to do I wear a pair of gloves and stand there and pull the meat apart real fine so in goes in raw, cold and already in a suace like consistency.
  • Acorn
    Acorn Posts: 163
    Awesome, I can't wait to try this.......its more like a meat sauce.
    THANK YOU for sharing. 
    Atlanta, GA  - LBGE -
  • RRP
    Acorn said:
    THANK YOU for sharing. 
    You're welcome and being in Hotlanta you can be a judge of how close you think it is to The Varsity variety!

BTW I have not mentioned this before but I also use this in ABTS! Gives them a change up taste!
  • Looper
    Looper Posts: 44
    Made it this morning and had it for lunch.  Turned out perfect! Thanks for the fantastic recipe!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831

RRP said:
    ... being in Hotlanta you can be a judge of how close you think it is to The Varsity variety!
    So can you. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I blame you for this @rrp. You flung a cravin on me. image

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• RRP
    I blame you for this @rrp. You flung a cravin on me. image

LOL! me bad! I hope jrb06 sees this post as this picture confirms the consistency of the meat sauce I get from finely breaking up the raw meat to start with. Now to start a knock off of those fries!
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    I spent many a night walking on North Avenue across the interstate from Towers Dorm to the V.  I think I have had every menu item in the place including a beer from time to time (not sure if they still do that).  My daughter just committed to UGA with their fancy meal program but I survived on the V and Junior's Grill for four years.  Good memories.
    Milton, GA.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    It would be hard to do a knock of off the fries...I'm pretty sure you need 86 year old grease!  These were the first fries I have had in 2014, and I must say they were outstanding. 

@flynnbob- I don't believe I have ever had beer at the V.  I will surely check next time I am there.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• jrb06
    jrb06 Posts: 52
    Thanks I see it now. I mashed and crunched the meat but I guess it needs to be finer. I did used meat that was precooked so that may be the problem.
  • RRP
    jrb06 said:
     I did used meat that was precooked so that may be the problem.
    Yup!!!
  • LBC Dawg
    LBC Dawg Posts: 116
    Did it yesterday. Got a 4.5 lb brisket flat and ground it up. used 1.5 lb for the chili sauce. turned out great. made some duck fat sliders with the rest and grilled some dogs. chili cheese sliders and dogs. forgot to take any pics but they were damn good. 
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    LBC Dawg said:
    made some duck fat sliders 
    YUM!!  That sounds great!

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    NDG said:
    Sounds great.  My top 3 cravings that must be satisfied monthly go in this order:  1) Wings, 2) Pizza 3) Chili Dogs.  I use an overpriced can of skyline chili for my coneys, but I will give this a try!
    My friend Lamb Chop got this in the '70's from the Skyline owner.

Chili, Beans, Skyline

This one is mine from the early '70's that mother and daddy liked.  I got it from the man who started the "Skyline"Chili Franchise. He was a client of mine in Miami.

INGREDIENTS:
    2 lbs Beef, Ground
    4 Onions, Chopped Fine
    2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
    1 1/2 Tbs White Vinegar
    1 Large Can Tomato Paste
    4 Tbs Chili Powder
    1 tsp Cinnamon
    1 tsp Cumin Powder
    1 tsp Red Peppers
    4 Dry Red Peppers
    5-6 Bay Leaves
    1 tsp All Spice, Ground
    2-3 Tsp Worchestire Sauce
    Salt/Pepper to taste
    2 quarts Water

Procedure:

1. Cook all in one uncovered pot on low flame, I like to use a cast iron pot, may add chili or kidney beans, drain juice from can before using.

Recipe Type: Crock Pot, Dutch Oven, Main Dish

Source
    Author: "Skyline Chili Chain" Miami, '70'S, From The Creator/Originator of The "Skyline Chili" Franchise
    Source: Gloria Williams

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208

Love that Varsity !!!!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Sorry to be late to the party. But you guys suck with all these awesome places near you. I have a sonic drive thru in town. I'm sitting here in complete envy.
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832

Sorry to be late to the party. But you guys suck with all these awesome places near you. I have a sonic drive thru in town. I'm sitting here in complete envy.

I know what you mean, we have a Sonic, McD, and Arby's.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    I wish I had a Sonic in our little town!
    From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • cdthomas23
    cdthomas23 Posts: 29
    I finally got a chance to try this this weekend. Great stuff. By the way, for a better consistency, I actually took my immersion blender to it. This made it turn out great. It also seemed to be better after sitting in the fridge for a day for a second batch of chili dogs. Thanks again for posting. This is a keeper.
  • RRP
    Thanks, man...I was just the carrier of that recipe, not the creator! BTW I could never consume that size batch in one or two days so that's why I mentioned the puck sizes for freezing to have on hand.
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    RRP said:
    Acorn said:
    THANK YOU for sharing. 
    You're welcome and being in Hotlanta you can be a judge of how close you think it is to The Varsity variety!

BTW I have not mentioned this before but I also use this in ABTS! Gives them a change up taste!
    As a native Atlantan, this sounds AMAZING!  Will have a batch running this weekend!  Thanks @RRP!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• eggLaTech
    eggLaTech Posts: 28
    @rrp sounds and looks great. Thanks for posting it. Can't wait to make some tomorrow.
    Baton Rouge, La - I'm going to quit procrastinating.......starting tomorrow.
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    It would be hard to do a knock of off the fries...I'm pretty sure you need 86 year old grease!  These were the first fries I have had in 2014, and I must say they were outstanding. 

@flynnbob- I don't believe I have ever had beer at the V.  I will surely check next time I am there.
    No beer on the menu, but between college kids and bums around the Original location, a beer'd be easy to come by!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!