Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

APL BBQ Sauce

Options
Anyone ever try it? I kind of doubt it's really worth the effort, but here's the recipe: http://www.adamperrylang.com/recipes/apl-bbq-sauce/
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Buehler...?
  • golfandgrill
    Options
    I made it back In November. Didn't think it was too hard and got praises from everyone who tried it
    Fighting Sioux Hockey
  • Conneggticut_Yankee
    Options
    Made it twice. I think it's worth it and not really any harder than making soup. Everyone who I've seen try it raves about it.
    Madison, CT
    LBGE June 2013. 

• jeroldharter
    Options
    I've made it many times and like it. The sauce is really a base and many of his recipes add to the base for a final sauce. I take some shortcuts sometimes but it really isn't that much work after you have done it once or twice. His cookbook is excellent. This weekend I am grilling the Wooster glazed rib eyes. I don'd do it exactly his way because I prefer to reverse sear but they turn out fantastic. I will be grilling 4 2-inch thick cowboy rib eyes. That is good stuff.
  • BGEXL_Nick
    Options
    I would say its worth it.  I had similar results as the others.  I have made it several times and everyone has loved it.  Its not hard to make just takes a little time.  That sauce is the base to many of his other sauce recipes.  I have made the ones he uses for chicken and the one for brisket and both of those were excellent.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Thanks folks! I'll give it a shot.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    I like the other APL recipes for marinades, rubs, and glazes, too. Used with the sauce or alone they're tasty and generally more interesting than store bought.
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    Have made it several times. Absolutely worth the effort.
    Southern California
  • up_in_smoke
    Options
    I totally agree. I have made the sauce a few times and have received rave reviews. It seems to get better after a day or two in the fridge. Best part, the whole house smells like BBQ sauce....what else could be better! Good luck!
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    I made this sauce a few times, it's a great sauce and well worth the effort. The jalapeño and Granny Smith apple added at the end give the sauce a nice finish.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments on this. I finally got around to making it to go with some pulled pork - the stuff is great!
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options

That's funny, I made some last night too.  Tastes great, but I'm not making the pork until tomorrow.
    NOLA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    buzd504 said:

That's funny, I made some last night too.  Tastes great, but I'm not making the pork until tomorrow.

What did you end up storing it in? I had purchased some squirt bottles - the kinds you see at restaurants. The recipe almost filled four of them.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited February 2014
    Options

I put it in some round tall plastic containers that we got from getting takeout pho.  It filled two.

I made a couple of changes to the recipe - a little extra garlic, and instead of adding ketchup, I added a can of rotel with chilis.  I didn't see the point of adding HFCS to the mix, and I didn't have anything more natural.  It seems like it came out OK.  Also, whole grain mustard and a little extra bourbon (for me).
    NOLA