Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Thoughts on choice of truck for my oldest son

Options
KennyLee
KennyLee Posts: 806
edited February 2014 in Off Topic

Okay....the time has come to get my oldest boy of three a vehicle.  Been dreading this day for years, worries, insurance rates, etc., etc.  But he's a great kid and has had his permit for awhile and we're now ready to take the plunge.  I've got it narrowed down to two vehicles:

2002 Toyota Tundra V8 with 200K miles

2000 Ford F-150 V6 with 89K miles

I like and have driven both Fords and Toyotas (currently driving an '09 Tundra) and have really only looked at both brands for reasons I'd rather not get into.  The Tundra is newer, a little nicer truck but a little rougher (dents, dings, etc.), holds its value better, will probably last longer, but has high miles.  The Ford is VERY clean with zero visible marks or dents and has incredibly low miles.  They are similarly equipped, have a clean CARFAX report, and both are one-owner vehicles and the sale price is going to be negligible (+/- $300).

I'm leaning heavily towards the Ford based on nothing but the miles, but looking for any input and a group of Eggheads is probably my best bet.  He'll be 17 this summer and I'd love for this truck to get him through college.  Thoughts?

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    At this point, your goal should be whatever has the most life in it to get him through college. I'd probably go with the Ford based on the info you gave. Sounds like it was very well cared for and wasn't a daily driver.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • KennyLee
    Options
    @cazzy Thanks.....kind of my thinking also.  I think the Toyotas last longer and have less problems with the proper maintenance (everything else being equal), but with the significant mileage difference, I think the longer term prospects are better with the Ford.   

LBGE

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Tundras are great, but don't overlook the F 150 for build quality. I know a few people that still have a F150 and they're going strong. That was probably one of the more reliable vehicles they've put out.

Good luck!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I would sure spend an hours time with a very good mech ( and pay for time) to get what you pick checked out.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Brother has a '99 F-150 with about the same mileage. Look for oil leaks on the passenger side head gaskets, the V-6s were either super clean or super dirty. Great truck, like Mickey suggests, have a good mechanic check it out. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • dstrbd488
    Options
    I used to work for an engineering company that did construction inspections and we had about a 100 or so of the fords and the least mileage I ever saw on one when it left was about 150k. I know that doesn't sound that great but those trucks we're started in the morning and cut off in the evening once they were at the office and spent most of the day just idling so there's no telling how the mileage should have read since it doesn't read if the trucks not moving
  • Central_Bama_Egger
    Options
    Ford!!! Ford!!!
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    I may be slightly biased on my current vehicle...
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    The Tundra timing belt would be my concern. It's almost needing a second one with those miles. I have the same year Tundra, lots of dings and dents, half the miles, but should be running a little while longer. I'd go with the Ford with those miles, plus he may get slightly better gas mileage with the V6. I average 12 mpg.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Buckdodger
    Options
    Had a 2000 F-150 with 125K miles on it, only trouble I ever had with it was the electric mirrors went out. Had it not been for the tornado, a couple of years ago, depositing pine tree's on it I would be driving it today. Good truck. 

Opelika, Alabama
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Go with the Ford- gas mileage should be a plus for him plus he won't be able to get in as much trouble with a V6.
    Greensboro, NC
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    in college back in 86, i bought an 85 ford 150 with 18000 miles on it. by 60k the tranny died, new clutch, new distributor, alternator, front spindle when the tire broke off at 65 mph, 3 on the tree stick shift fell out of the column, tail gate latch twice replaced, the truck was jinxed :)) dad owns a 2002 tundra, brakes and frame replaced, toyota switched out the frame last year but charged him for miscellaneos parts like brake and gas lines ets, still cost him a little over 2k for the free frame swap. if your near salted winter roads the frame needs to be inspected, toyota frames are horrible in road salt. is he really wanting the truck because in college friends seem to move every other semester and that gets really old fast after the twentieth time or so
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Steven
    Options
    yzzi said:
    The Tundra timing belt would be my concern. It's almost needing a second one with those miles. I have the same year Tundra, lots of dings and dents, half the miles, but should be running a little while longer. I'd go with the Ford with those miles, plus he may get slightly better gas mileage with the V6. I average 12 mpg.
    I get 16 with my Toyota 8 with the 6 speed.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SoMdEggHead
    Options
    Check with your insurance company.. I would think a v6 would cost less to insure than a v8 for a teen driver.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    yzzi said:
    I get 16 with my Toyota 8 with the 6 speed.
    I used to get about 15 until I put Michelin AT2 tires on it...plus I almost never do highway driving.
    Dunedin, FL
  • legomyeggo
    Options
    I am all American but have drive Toyotas since 1968. Was stationed in Bangkok during Vietnam war and was amazed at the beating Toyotas and Datsuns took so I got the Toyota when I got out when io got home and found that my pristine 1961 Pontiac Catalina convertible with tri power was not properly cared for while I was away and was falling apart, 

Have 3 in the driveway now - a Venza, a Sienna, and a RAV 4. Have had 2 pickups in the past but last one was a 1973 and it ran great. My 1996 Camry, bought in 1998 with 23K on it, went for 280000 miles with only timing belts being replaced. I would also say Ford is about the only US company I would look at. Ford makes a good product, i am just a Toyota guy cause they have been good to me. Glad that many are made here in the US.
  • Smokin_Trout
    Options
    Would you like to show support for this great country you live in or the one that started a fight they could not
    finish?
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Would you like to show support for this great country you live in or the one that started a fight they could not finish?
    Toyota sells the most American truck in the US today. Ford is #2. The Tundra has always been built in Indiana or Texas with at least 65% domestic content. Buying a Tundra is showing support for your country and local economy if you live anywhere near San Antonio, where they are all made today.

On that note, @KennyLee, I would get the V-6. SInce he is going to college, he has no real reason for the towing capacity or power of the V-8 except for the "zoom" factor. Probably the last thing you want a teenager to have :) Parts for both are ubiquitous so maintenance should not be an issue. Both will be fun to learn his way around an engine on.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    The F-150 is the most American made vehicle according to USA Today.
    @KennyLee - Was thinking about this after first read your post, interesting how when many Canadian kids go off to university, we pick them up a 10 year old car, like a Honda Civic or Mazda, basic transportation and cheap to insure/operate. Why a truck?
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • KennyLee
    edited February 2014
    Options

F-150 and Tundra have been going back and forth for several years over which one is #1 in domestic production/parts.  Tundra is now back on top again in 2014 after it was a dead heat in 2013.  And the whole "buy American" thing is nonsense anymore for a myriad of reasons.  My Tundra 4x4 was built just down the interstate about five hours in San Antonio by Texans whereas the last two "domestic" trucks I owned were built in Canada and Mexico respectively.  

That said, I appreciate everyone's input and looks like we'll probably make a deal on the Ford.  I was already heavily leaning that way to begin with, but just needed some reiteration to my thinking.  Some have mentioned the V6 to which I totally agree.....a little less power for a teenager, better mileage, and probably less to insure to boot. 

@Skiddymarker Not necessarily a Canadian thing, many Americans do that too.  However he likes to hunt and fish and spend time in the outdoors and he also does landscaping work in the summers and needs something to haul his equipment.  Not to mention that he is paying for part of it with money he has earned, so he does have a say (with my joint approval) and that is what he wants.  Trucks here are very practical and hold their value well.  The only disadvantage that you cite would really be the cost to operate (fuel) which with the V-6 and the fact that he probably won't exceed 5-6K miles per year would make the fuel savings minute.      

LBGE

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @Skiddymarker - in Texas, Civic=moped,
    therefore self-esteem= junk. :)

SWMBO drives a 10yo Civic and I would love to sell it to a Canadian and get rid of it. But the darn thing runs like a top, and SWMBO refuses to part with it.

Sorry, back on topic now!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    Ford knows how to build trucks, actually all three U.S. car manufacturers build good trucks.

Gerhard
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I think the days of "American built" are over. The south has great benefited from foreign car plants. Hunydai, Toyota, Mercedes, 2 Nissan plants, volkswagen... I know here the Nissan plant has spawned off battery, seats, engine, wiper plants...All manned by Americans. It's a global economy.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Little Steven
    Options
    We have all the American car plants Bwahahahaha

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    We have all the American car plants Bwahahahaha
    This is true. My Flex was Hecho'ed en Oakville, Ontario.
  • Browninggold
    Browninggold Posts: 453
    edited February 2014
    Options
    My Dad fought on Iwo Jima..My Uncles brother died on Iwo Jima. Therefore I have Toyota Avalon and a Lexus in my driveway. B4 those 2 a 1990 Camry with 250,000 miles. No mechanical issues. Before that a new 98 and 99 F-150. Love the Lexus and Toyotas for resale and dependability/reliability. Lexus was manufactured in the nation above ours :)
  • henapple
    Options
    There's a nation north of us?
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    henapple said:
    There's a nation north of us?

I have posted this before. Notice Florida, just like in real life.
  • henapple
    Options
    Notice Canada has its hand in our pocket
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    henapple said:
    Notice Canada has its hand in our pocket
    I thought it was just scratching it's ass.