Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS !!!!!!!

Options

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Yeah I'm interested but its a shame the digi looks so much better...and I can get it bge badged?
    Hey read a review digi adapter hard to put in if egg is in a nest, is this true? Might be temptedif digi is at our egg fest ready to purchase tax free to boot.
    Seattle, WA
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    I guess I'll try to contact PitMasters R&D team like previously suggested, to see if they can come up with a version that matches all you pretty boys Eggs! I guess before I go to them I better figure out what color all your handbags/man purses are because I'd hate for them not too match either. Could you please let me know? =))
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options

I guess I'll try to contact PitMasters R&D team like previously suggested, to see if they can come up with a version that matches all you pretty boys Eggs! I guess before I go to them I better figure out what color all your handbags/man purses are because I'd hate for them not too match either. Could you please let me know? =))

I like the color scheme as it matches the colors I typically wear. I would tell them to figure out how to make it look more valuable than $19.99.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • pretzelb
    pretzelb Posts: 158
    Options
    After my cook yesterday I might look to a controller. For some reason I couldn't hit 350. I kept going way over and under. Took me an extra 30 minutes to finally reach 350.
    XL egg owner, home brewer, jogger, coffee roaster, gamer 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Wow, with this testimony I will give them a look. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Is there some sort of remote alarm?  I see there are pit and food temp alarms.   Does that only ring at the PIT?  I would like to use it for overnight but my BGE is outside and not too close to my bedroom so I wouldn't hear any alarms unless there was a remote controller?  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    jhl192 said:

Is there some sort of remote alarm?  I see there are pit and food temp alarms.   Does that only ring at the PIT? &neo;I would like to use it for overnight but my BGE is outside and not too close to my bedroom so I wouldn't hear any alarms unless there was a remote controller?  

You would need to add a Maverick to accomplish that

• SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options

I have used my IQ120 twice now - for a briskit and the other day on some baby backs.  I love the simplicity of it and that it does what I want it to do - allow me to not have to cintinually check the pit temp to see where the temp is.  I use my Maverick to monitor the pit temp in the house.  So far - it overshot my target temp once during the briskit cook by about 15 degress.  On the rib cook - stayed within 10 degrees of my target which is good enough for me. 

It doesn't have a bunch of bells or whistles and I admit - it doesn't look all that cool or high tech, but so far I have been impressed and it does what I want it to do.

XL BGE
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    jhl192 said:
    Is there some sort of remote alarm?  I see there are pit and food temp alarms.   Does that only ring at the PIT?  I would like to use it for overnight but my BGE is outside and not too close to my bedroom so I wouldn't hear any alarms unless there was a remote controller?  
    It only alerts at the unit.  Some people use a cheap baby monitor instead of buying a Maverick.  I can hook you up with either!  :)
  • dlosapio
    Options
    I recently did a lot of research on both and have to admit the build quality did play a part in me ultimately choosing the DX2. 

For the most part, it sounds like you can't go wrong with either; I've read about one or two people (out of a bunch) having a problem with the Pitmaster and none having problems with the DigiQ. After fees & shipping, the DX2 was only $50 more than the 120; for me, it was worth it for the extra features and nice finish. 
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    dlosapio said:

I've read about one or two people (out of a bunch) having a problem with the Pitmaster and none having problems with the DigiQ.  

You really think there are no DigiQs out there that they've had some issues with?
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I'm still waffling. I keep looking at the wifi ones due to the geek factor but I can't decide if I truly need something like that. The price point on the pitmaster is nice.
  • EggoMatic
    Options
    I have to admit, I've been getting tired of getting up checking on my cooks during the night when I could be sleep. I could really care less on how a product looks. If that was the case I wouldn't have bought a grill/smoker that looks like an egg. As long as the product produces for me I'm good with it. I already have a maverick. It looks like the easy choice for me would be the 110 model. Is this correct? Do I need anything else besides what they have on the site to make it run?
    LBGE Virginia Beach, Virginia
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I'm still waffling. I keep looking at the wifi ones due to the geek factor but I can't decide if I truly need something like that. The price point on the pitmaster is nice.
    This is where I am.
    NOLA
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    henapple said:
    I'm just f!%$@ with you. It does look like a shop project though. .. >:)
    At least we know what happened to our moms old hair driers.  =)=))

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I'll be honest, I think the info-mercial posted here sold me. I'm getting one today!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    I'll be honest, I think the info-mercial posted here sold me. I'm getting one today!

Great to hear that my post might help some folks make a decision ... choosing a temp controller was a HUGE deal for me! As long as your confident you don't need a WiFi version, then the PitMaster controllers are everything and possibly more than one could expect.
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    EggoMatic said:
    I have to admit, I've been getting tired of getting up checking on my cooks during the night when I could be sleep. I could really care less on how a product looks. If that was the case I wouldn't have bought a grill/smoker that looks like an egg. As long as the product produces for me I'm good with it. I already have a maverick. It looks like the easy choice for me would be the 110 model. Is this correct? Do I need anything else besides what they have on the site to make it run?

I like the way you think & agree with you 110%! As far as the IQ110 goes ... you shouldn't need anything else. Do yourself a big favor and contact member @stlcharcoal and he'll get you setup when you decide your ready for a temp controller.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    EggoMatic said:

I was in the same boat.....I BGE'd for 15 yrs without a temp controller.  I would get a few times a night to check on it, and had a pretty good system going.  I thought it was cool I could run the thing without any help.

But I got a little cocky and started leaving it over night when I went to work.  And one night, the fire went out.  By the time I got home the next morning, the fire had probably been out for 8 hrs.  So 30-lbs of pork butt went in the trash and we had burgers and brats for the party that afternoon.  I bought a temp controller right after that and never looked back.  The $100 I spent on it would have saved the $50 in meat I lost.

If you're looking for a 110, there's nothing else you need--especially if you have a Maverick.  If you order it from me, just make sure you tell me what size BGE you have.  Once adapter fits the M/L/XL, the other just fits the Mini/Small.  I assume everyone needs the one for the Large--but I've shipped the wrong one before, so I always double check now.

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Can you buy an additional adapter? If you have 2 different size eggs.
    Seattle, WA
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    Can you buy an additional adapter? If you have 2 different size eggs.

Sure.

The adjustable adapters can be switched between Eggs easily, but if you want a second one, they're fairly inexpensive.  Just let me know when you order, so I can make sure I have one.

The Kamado-Small fits the BGE Mini & Small (and Akorn, Grill Dome, etc.)

and the Kamado-Large fits the BGE Med, Large, and XL  (and Kamado Joe, Primo, etc.)

You can also get the "standard" adapter that fits most Weber grills, WSM, Brinkmann, and others with the daisy wheel style intake.  They also have a 1" NPT hose barb if you have a Stumps, Rebel, "UDS", or something with a dedicated pipe fitting. 

• SoCalTim
    Options
    SoCalTim said:

Great to hear that my post might help some folks make a decision ... choosing a temp controller was a HUGE deal for me! As long as your confident you don't need a WiFi version, then the PitMaster controllers are everything and possibly more than one could expect.
    Been doing some research, I have a question. After you get the unit installed, at what open position does the 'Daisy Wheel' sit? Or is that something you have to play with? Tim 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    I have been leaving mine just barely cracked ... maybe like just an 1/8" or even less. It's been working great like that for me so far.
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    Ya hear this 'CLICK' .... that's me placing my order via Amazon! Thanks for the info.
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    SoCalTim said:

Ya hear this 'CLICK' .... that's me placing my order via Amazon! Thanks for the info.

You'll be happy with it

• stlcharcoal
    edited February 2014
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    SoCalTim said:

Been doing some research, I have a question. After you get the unit installed, at what open position does the 'Daisy Wheel' sit? Or is that something you have to play with? Tim 
    Just leave it cracked to halfway open.  If you see smoke pour out your lower draft door, gasket, and around the underside of the daisy wheel when the fan kicks on, you need to open the daisy wheel a bit more and/or damper the fan down to a lower setting.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Looks like the 110 model does not have a digital readout. Plus, you need to have an AC power source near the egg to run it. Correct me if I'm wrong. Also, where do you hang the thing when you don't have the BGE shelves?
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    For inquiring minds, this is my IQ120 complete as the way it shipped:

Owners manual
    Control unit w/tube
    Adjustable bottom vent adapter w/snuff plug
    Food probe
    Pit probe
    Ac plug in
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Looks like the 110 model does not have a digital readout. Plus, you need to have an AC power source near the egg to run it. Correct me if I'm wrong. Also, where do you hang the thing when you don't have the BGE shelves?

No digital read out, just set the knob on the temp you want.  The light tells you if you are above, below, or at the set temp.

You will need an AC source, or you can make a battery for really easily with an old lawn mower or car battery.  They have directions on the website if you want to make one out of regular batteries.

I usually hang mine underneath the Egg.  I took a hanger, bent it over, and slid it between the nest and bottom of the Egg.  Then I just hang it out of the way of the rain.  You can also just hang it from the Egg dome handle, or set it on the ground.  It doesn't care which way is up.

• RickyBobby
    Options
    @Terrebandit ~ What is your Egg setup? Do you have a table? .... just curious.