Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2nd Annual Egghead Weightloss Competition

For those who did not read the thread where I posed a question I wanted to start an official thread.

We are doing a 12 week weightloss competition including prizes. It starts this Monday January 13th and ends Sunday April 6th. Highest percentage of weightloss wins.

The prizes so far are a Baking Steel and something from Amaz-N Smoker.

If interested you will need to do the following:

1. Picture of yourself (Current and clothed).
2. Picture of the scale with either a newspaper, or date stamped on the picture.
3. Email me at fletchercoupons@gmail.com
4. Weigh in is from today until end I day Sunday.

Let me know if any other questions.

JT

Comments

• insaneh
    insaneh Posts: 112
    Ah, if only I'd known. Started my diet 2 months ago.
    :((
    Dead smack in the middle of NH
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    email sent
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • I will cheer you on.  I am currently working on an Ironman Triathlon.  Well, kind of.  Our local YMCA for the month of January and on the honor system, you need to swim 2.4 miles, ride a bike 112 miles and run a 26.2 marathon.  You can break it up into whatever pieces you want.  It is great. 

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• I started mine 2 Thursdays ago. Maybe I'll hop in.
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034

I am in

Kept most of last years weight off, so goin for more

Deep dish and beer tonight, wont be seeing them for a while

Well, the pizza anyways

Good luck everyone

Shane

• Up to 8, keep sending um!
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Damn missed the cut off.
  • Still send it in, we only have 8 people
  • One thing I forgot, let's do weekly posts of weigh in results.

Started out at 205.6, down to 203 as of this Monday. We can post results on Monday (that way to encourage you on the weekends).

Did two wok cooks in the last week, really health stuff, little sugar, little oil, lots of veg, loving the wok (though I used my gas burner for it, it's a lot faster).

How are you doing on your weight loss?

• pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    I will cheer you on.  I am currently working on an Ironman Triathlon.  Well, kind of.  Our local YMCA for the month of January and on the honor system, you need to swim 2.4 miles, ride a bike 112 miles and run a 26.2 marathon.  You can break it up into whatever pieces you want.  It is great.

Oh i have done that , but i did it all in one day ! your way is way smarter .

Toronto
  • jls9595
    edited January 2014
    I'm only down 1 pound. :(( I haven't gotten serious yet, I need to summon more will power...
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    I'm down from 194 to 191 last Friday. I'll start doing a weigh in on Monday too.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Not involved in the contest...

Good luck to all those involved :)

If its any inspiration, just got blood work back from last week. Since July, I've managed to drop my Triglycerides from 627 to 261... I almost fell of the exam table when my doc told me that. My overall cholesterol is 166...

Still as big as a house; but I'm working on it ;)
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    edited January 2014
    Wasn't sure we were on so I haven't done much. Will get to it now. Started at 270 or so and down a couple just from not drinking as much post holiday but I will take it more serious now. Game on :)
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • I was 196 at weigh in and now down to 189.6. Been using the Egg right along. 

Madison, CT
    LBGE June 2013. 

• Mr Holloway

Starting weight was 201 lbs

And like last year, started off with a little stomach flu

So sitting at 198lbs for this week :))

Shane

• jls9595
    I had started at 195 in a weight loss contest with my brother two weeks prior to the start of this contest. I started this one at 189 and am only at 188 now. I guess after the first five it gets more difficult? I just need to buckle down and get to work. I at least have to beat my brother :D
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Down to 188 this morning.
    Madison, CT
    LBGE June 2013. 

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    hapster said:

If its any inspiration, just got blood work back from last week. Since July, I've managed to drop my Triglycerides from 627 to 261... I almost fell of the exam table when my doc told me that. My overall cholesterol is 166...

Fish oil made a huge difference for me.
    NOLA
  • jls9595
    Down to 187 from 189.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    I'm down from 194 to 189 as of this morning.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Mr Holloway

Getting out lots with the new pup

He is oblivious to the snow

down to 196 this week

Shane

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    I have been very sick for the last week and have eaten almost nothing. I know I'm down a lot because of how my pants feel but it probably just water and I'll get it all back. When I have more ambition I will climb on the scale. Not the healthiest way to do this.
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited January 2014

Getting out lots with the new pup

He is oblivious to the snow

down to 196 this week

Shane

I've been walking my dog about a mile per night. Good stuff.

Check that, I just mapped it. 1.75 miles. I need to bump it up to 2 laps.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,739
    yesterday was 30 days on the octoberfest diet, 15 pounds down. need a new plan for the next 30 days. todays lunch

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    edited January 2014

I'm not competing in this competition but I would like to offer some encouragement to those who are. 

I began my diet on the morning of November 19th.  I had had enough.  I wanted to do something about losing weight starting right that moment. 

I dug out the South Beach Diet book and re-read it, paying particular attention to the "why" and "how" I got so overweight in the first place.  And just like the first time I read it, it all made sense.  I was eating the wrong foods, too much of it, and not exercising (probably because I felt so tired and was constantly nursing joint pain and just plain feeling miserable). 

So the day started off with less than half the breakfast calories I normally took in.  Surprisingly, I didn't die.  Then four hours later a very light lunch consisting of some turkey slices wrapped in a Romaine lettuce leaf with a teaspoon of very thin low-cal sauce.  And water.  Then armed with a list of what items to get for the next few days, a visit to the grocery.  I thought I would most certainly die when I smelled the foods cooking in the deli, or see displays of beautiful foods just asking for me to buy and eat them.  Well, I didn't die, nor did I purchase anything that wasn't on the list. 

Then we came home and cleaned out bags of all kinds of foods and took them to a neighbor.  Some items had not been opened, including steaks and breads and desserts and chips and chips and chips, and so on until our kitchen was completely bear of all the temptation foods we loved.  Now we were on our own with what we had on hand.

I had weighed myself that morning and came in at 311.8 pounds.  My blood pressure was okay at 118/52, probably due to blood pressure and cholesterol pills.  I began right then keeping a daily log of my weight and blood pressure.

Monday, January 27th, just two days ago, I visited my doctor for a routine check-up.  I had a copy of my daily log with me.  I weighed in 27 pounds less than my last visit.  My doctor was impressed with the loss but cautioned me about trying to lose weight too quickly.  He said too fast and it can damage my heart. 

He also told me that the 1,000 or less daily calorie intake was too little and that I should increase my calories to at least 1,500 per day (my 'maintenance calories' to maintain my 311 pounds was 2,700 based upon my age and inactive lifestyle).  Even at 1,500 I was cutting my calorie intake by almost half, so I was pleased to hear that I could eat a little more.

Then he took a look at my blood work numbers and they looked so good that he said he may completely discontinue my cholesterol and blood pressure meds if I continue to lose weight. Another ten pounds just might do it. 

So here I am, down almost 10% of my former weight and I feel better, my clothes fit better, I sleep better, and I didn't die from changing my lifestyle, especially the part about food.

I fully expect to reach the second leg of my goal (40 lbs) by my next visit.  The first leg was to lose 30 pounds and I can do that by this weekend. So I'm already looking forward to losing 10 more.

And not only am I alive, I'm REALLY alive and doing stuff I thought I could never do again.

Best wishes to all of you who are trying.  It's worth it.

Spring "Less Of Me Is A Good Thing" Chicken

Spring Texas USA