Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Central Texas BBQ Tour

Options

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I'm post processing right now and narrowing down my images John;  I just sent you a teaser va text.   :P
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Troglodyte
    Options
    Gosh Cazzy, your pictures are great, and your story is really good, but you seem a bit too sure of yourself.

-----------------------------------------------------
    Albuquerque, NM
    Large BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • cazzy
    Options
    LOL if you say so @Troglodyte
  • Troglodyte
    Options
    Just kidding, Cazzy.  After the first Carly Simon song, I couldn't resist.

-----------------------------------------------------
    Albuquerque, NM
    Large BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • cazzy
    Options
    Just kidding, Cazzy.  After the first Carly Simon song, I couldn't resist.

Oh okay cool...I honestly couldn't tell one way or another!  lol   :P
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    cazzy said:

I'm post processing right now and narrowing down my images John;  I just sent you a teaser va text.   :P

Sonofabitch

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Crap. That Franklin's line is insane. My wife just said "hell no, you better order online". Can't wait for 2/1 at midnight.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    In case there's some question about @cazzy's sense of humor, he texted me a photo of Franklin's street sign.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    In case there's some question about @cazzy's sense of humor, he texted me a photo of Franklin's street sign.

lol
    NOLA
  • cazzy
    edited January 2014
    Options
    This really became a mini tour, but darn it was incredibly fulfilling and a flipping awesome weekend!  Also, this might be the best damn birthday i've ever had..but more on that later.  

Our next stop brought us to the highly revered and coveted, Franklin BBQ.  

I told the wifey last night, "I really think I want to be first in line tomorrow".  She encouraged me to go for it, so she dropped me off at 6:50am.  When I showed up, I was confused as nobody was there, but there were 4 chairs with signs on them that read "John's Sunday Morning Front of the Line Chair".  After talking to one of the pit bosses, this joker apparently drops off chairs at 3 or 4 am, and shows up before they open.  I moved his chairs back, told myself "it's my birthday, I do what I want", then took over the #1 spot.  Please note that most people were pretty pissed, and this entitled fella didn't show up until 10:00am...with a party of 13!   :-q

I kept myself busy shooting so the time flew by!

Them hipsters are cray about their bbq!

Around 9am, photographer by the name of Brian Finke arrived with his assistant to do a shoot for National Geographic.  At about 10:30am, the General Manager (partial owner) Benji steps out and asks me how I was doing and where I was visiting from.  We chatted and I told him it was my first visit, and this was a birthday present to myself.  lol  I pointed to Brian and asked him if he was waiting for Aaron to show up.  He said, "no, Aaron has a newborn at home, so Stacy made Aaron take the day off."  I honestly was really bummed and told him about a Twitter convo Aaron and I had a lil over a week ago.

We laughed about Aaron's man brain and I asked later if they allow people to see the pits.  He said, sure, I'll take you back right now.  Since they're closed tomorrow, there was no meat besides sausage on.

I forgot his name, but after he tended to the fire, he asked me if I wanted to see the sausage on the pit.  You know what I said!     :D

Benji told me that they cook 65 briskets every day.  That would have been a site!  This was a huge freaking pit!

So I thanked Benji multiple times for the quick tour and went back to get in line.  I told my wife a lil later "I just want to warn you, I'm going to order a lot of damn meat.  I want lots of leftovers!"  She smiled and pretty much already knew what was coming as I had a huge grin on my face.  So they let us in and I begin to place my order.  I asked for a 2 lb end cut of the point (note sliced) and wanted it wrapped in butcher paper.  I proceeded to order 1.5 more lbs of point, 1/2 lb of flat, 1 lb of ribs, 1 lb of pulled pork, 1 lb of turkery, 2 sausage links, a Tipsy Texsan, and a pint of beans.  I get to the register and the girl asked me for my drink order.  After giving it to me, she asked "can we get you anything else today?"  I said no and started reaching for my wallet when she said "Your meal is on us today, Happy Birthday!"  OMG, my mouth dropped and I started fumbling all my words when I asked are you serious. Benji is right behind her and they both were smiling and incredibly delighted to see my reaction.  After trying to recompose myself, I shook both their hands and thanked Benji and her a million times.  Benji told me "you're welcome, it's Aaron's fault, he should have been here" and started laughing.  100% without a doubt unexpected, and my wife will attest that it was the first time she's seen me at loss for words in 12 years.

Point brisket (9 out of 10), Flat brisket (10.5 out of 10), Pork Ribs (10 out of 10), Sausage (9 out of 10), Turkey (9 out of 10), Pork (8 out of 10).

Tipsy Texsan - Great sandwich, but not recommended with a feast like this as the bread understandably got soggy.

This was a super easy wait, almost like tailgating.  I would do it again, but still would limit to once every few months.  For the record, we probably left with about 6 pounds of food so I know what we're having for dinner this week!     :D

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    @cazzy-If you have your choice between lucky and good-take lucky every time. Congrats on such a journey and a SWMBO who gets it.  I was envious on day one and this is "over the top^".
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I am going to have to get down to Austin this year.  Thank you for this post, just awesome.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Outstanding. This was highly entertaining. Happy Birthday!
  • BuckeyeBob
    Options
    This is such an incredible story and I so want to do a similar tour. What a great weekend you had.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Dude, these are great posts! But am I supposed to have heard of Aaron Franklin and his BBQ too? So far, you're battin' a thousand.  :D  

FWIW, I HAVE heard of Lockhart. :) And Black's. Oh, and Wilber's. :) Even Short Sugar's, Though I"ve never been there. And I know a bit about pizza joints in NYC! Hahaha!!

The only thing I know about Austin is that UT is there... and Lance Druggie Armstrong. 
    :D

Glad you are enjoying this. Happy B'day!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cazzy
    Options
    Dude, these are great posts! But am I supposed to have heard of Aaron Franklin and his BBQ too? So far, you're battin' a thousand.  :D  

FWIW, I HAVE heard of Lockhart. :) And Black's. Oh, and Wilber's. :) Even Short Sugar's, Though I"ve never been there. And I know a bit about pizza joints in NYC! Hahaha!!

The only thing I know about Austin is that UT is there... and Lance Druggie Armstrong. 
    :D

Glad you are enjoying this. Happy B'day!
    LOL, you're crazy Mike.  I didn't make it to Lockhart yet, but that will happen as I eagerly look forward to seeing some history.  

Even though you've never heard of these guys, they're all legit and worth a visit.  I am surprised, but I never heard of a 10 cent soda pop or this drive-in movie theater you guys talk about.   :P
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    LOL. 5¢.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cazzy
    Options
    Oh, @henapple this is the 2 lb hunk of point i'm bringing you next weekend!   ;)

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Caz, what should I order "to-go" besides the obvious?
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    Great posts @cazzy. March can't get here soon enough.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    Wow! Happy Birthday. So which flat ended up better? Yesterday you said La Barbecue. You know this means you have to hit Snow's some Saturday before you head north. Incredible pictures. @Henapple is a lucky man.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    I love that story of you at Franklins and how well you were treated. That's a birthday for the ages.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• cazzy
    Options
    Caz, what should I order "to-go" besides the obvious?
    His slaw and beans are both very good.  His sausage was also much better than I expected.

Ultimately though, get more ribs than you planned on.  He cooks them over, as they don't hold the bone at all.  However, they were superb and were ridiculously juicy.  I noticed that they actually foil with liquid during the final step, then unwrap and slice em up to order.  They're almost wet, so between what I saw at the pit area and the product I saw and ate.  It was fairly obvious that they're just sitting in the mixture of liquid and fat before they carve.

They get these pies from this spot called Cake and Spoon and they're freaking great.  We had the Bourbon Banana Creme Pie and was excellent.  My wife's cousin said the Key Lime Pie she had was the best she's had in her life.
  • cazzy
    Options
    GQuiz said:
    Wow! Happy Birthday. So which flat ended up better? Yesterday you said La Barbecue. You know this means you have to hit Snow's some Saturday before you head north. Incredible pictures. @Henapple is a lucky man.
    I slightly give the edge to Franklin for the flat as it was a lil more moist.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    cazzy said:

Oh, @henapple this is the 2 lb hunk of point i'm bringing you next weekend!   ;)

Patiently waiting. ..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Totally jealous. Happy birthday and thanks for the great pics and reviews.
    Dunedin, FL
  • cazzy
    edited January 2014
    Options
    One thing to note to all, the brisket at La Barbecue and Franklin Barbecue have the same flavor profile.  The texture in the point and flat was very close, and the only difference is Franklin's was a lil more moist.  

The variables will be the pits and the beef.  Franklin Barbecue uses Creek Stone Blank Angus and La Barbecue uses IBP Prime CAB.  I think the technique is identical, which makes complete sense.
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options

That was one fantastic birthday you will remember forever.  I wish I had the patience to stand in line at Franklin's.  Did all of those people get in the door?

That was funny about Aaron not being there and they bought your lunch. Cool guys.

Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • cazzy
    Options

That was one fantastic birthday you will remember forever.  I wish I had the patience to stand in line at Franklin's.  Did all of those people get in the door?

That was funny about Aaron not being there and they bought your lunch. Cool guys.

I will never forget this weekend!  They go through the entire line and get everybody's order, knowing that people will order more than what they tell them.  This allows them to establish a cutoff and let anyone after the cutoff know that they likely will not get food.