Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Do You Store Your Knives?

Options
Greetings friends!

I'm upgrading my knives, piece by hand selected piece, and am wondering how you all store or display your prized blades?  I am using knife guards now, but they MAY be scratching my steel.  Grr...  

Interested to hear what you're doing!  Thanks!
8-Damien

PS - I'm reverse searing a 2" NY Strip right now..  
Large BGE and Medium BGE
36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Every one of my many good knifes are stored individually in one of these hard shelled "knife safes". They are well protected and stay sharp. They come in many sizes.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I've thought of using a magnetic bar. I keep everything in the mancave. Anyone use one? Rust a problem?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Magnet strips as soon as I get mine sharpened. The Globals are in a Global knife block. Macs and Wustoffs are in a bristle type block.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    henapple said:
    I've thought of using a magnetic bar. I keep everything in the mancave. Anyone use one? Rust a problem?
    I use one for my carving knives in my workshop and while rust isn't a problem it's still metal on metal and the bar scratches the knife blades. I would not use one for my good kitchen knives.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    I use a wood block with many and varied sized openings and depth.  Store the knives upside down so the blade is in "free space".  Since I have accumulated many laps of the sun, I have more knives than slots so the "culling of the herd" puts the one-offs sideways in their own drawer.  Works for me-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    In 2 drawers

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    I made a magnetic knife rack out of zebra wood. Bought 30 pound rated magnets online and a 3/4 inch forster bit and bored the holes on the back side. Then sanding and a few coats of oil. image
    Dunedin, FL
  • Biggreeneggy
    Biggreeneggy Posts: 11
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I've read that mag strips can cause damage, but I assume that is only if you allow the blade to pivot on the metal. I store my blades in their factory sheaths.
    Large Egg - Loudon County, VA.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Block here.
    A recent Cook's Illustrated suggested turning the knife cutting-edge-up as its slid into the block to preserve the edge.  That requires flipping the knife when its removed, asking for a dropped (ie nicked) edge and the occasional severed artery.
    Instead, I stick the point into the slot, and just by lightly twisting the wrist, I let the spine of the blade slide against the top of the slot as I slide it in, instead of the edge; no problem.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options

I've read that mag strips can cause damage, but I assume that is only if you allow the blade to pivot on the metal. I store my blades in their factory sheaths.

That's exactly why I made mine. No metal, just wood.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Biggreeneggy
    Options
    yzzi said:
    That's exactly why I made mine. No metal, just wood.

Yours look sweet!! Good job.
    Large Egg - Loudon County, VA.
  • chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Options
    Very carefully.
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    36 slot oak block
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    Shun 22 slot bamboo block for most of my good knives..  Slots are horizontal, so there is no pressure on the edge.  Then there is the drawer...
    Santa Paula, CA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    My set up is pretty much the same as Mickey's, the magnetic strip has a silicon cover on it to ensure no blade to metal contact. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    Not recommended by manufacturers but works for me.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    My beaters are in a drawer where they have always been, and my wife can find them.

My better daily use knives are on a magnetic strip, unfortunately not a wood coated one.

My best are in their boxes on a shelf not in the kitchen.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I have a 25 slot Wusthof block which was the largest one they made at the time. They now make a 35 slot, may be time for an upgrade. Storing sharp knives up high on the wall out here in earthquake country seems inherently dangerous.imageimage
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser