Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How many do you cook for?

When we got the egg, it was to replace the Weber Kettle.  Then I discovered smoking with it low and slow.  

The problem I have is that it's just the two of us, the wifey and I.  There is just too much leftover from Butts and Briskets cooks...are there anything else that I can do low and slow?  I can't stand chicken and turkey...so they are out.  

I need practice trying new things, so lately I've been doing an overnight and taking it to the office, where it disappears.  They are pretty good guinea pigs.  

So how many do yall cook for?  And what?

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
Dallas, TX

Comments

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    try doing appys, mushroom caps, ABT's, shrimp,etc. There are two of us and we do all kinds of stuff, burgers, steak, fajitas. Start looking through the forum and you will see what others are doing, that should get you started. Good Luck.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • I've done steaks, shrimp,  and did a pork chop the other night...I have a pizza steel coming this week, so that's about to get ramped up.  

I am really trying to figure out what we can do low and slow besides the butt and brisket...Prime Rib is too expensive to practice with and take to the office...

Sunday's Cook...

Dallas, TX

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Looks mighty fine.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Do you have grown kids? Get yourself a good vacuum sealer and have at it. They will clean you out when the visit. I have three adult boys.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• No kids.  And we vacuum all the leftovers...freezer is getting full.  That's why I am taking things to the office.  

And honestly, I am tired of having people come over every week.  Sure they bring good booze, but they don't leave any when they leave,  the Drunk Bastards!

Dallas, TX

• Just the wife and me as well and we're not heavy eaters so I'll do 1-2  6lb chickens that last 2-3 days...did some great chicken legs this past weekend..going to do a small 6lbs butt this weekend. Steaks of course, pork chops, etc...but every now and then I like to invite others over and do a larger cook for everyone.  Typically I'll cook on the weekends for the next week's worth of dinners...we both don't get home from work till around 8pm so we just want something quick during the week
  • msocko3
    msocko3 Posts: 35
    I've done steaks, shrimp,  and did a pork chop the other night...I have a pizza steel coming this week, so that's about to get ramped up.  

I am really trying to figure out what we can do low and slow besides the butt and brisket...Prime Rib is too expensive to practice with and take to the office...

Sunday's Cook...

I'd fight you for that pork chop, that sucker looks good.
  • I hate to say it, but it looked a whole lot better than it tasted.  It was cooked right, but ZERO flavor.  I should have rubbed it with something, instead I threw it in a marinade.  

Dallas, TX

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Lamb can be done low and slow. I think the Greeks call it Kleftikon (or something like that). Cooked low (225 to 250) for about 7 hours in a DO. You can use a shoulder or a leg. If it's just you and 'er indoors you can do shanks. It's more like a braise but not much liquid - white wine and stock. Add veggies later to finish the whole meal in one pot. I use Retsina wine (pine resin flavor), thyme, oregano, and rosemary. Falls apart and sweet as a mother's heart.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Leg of Lamb...great idea!

Dallas, TX

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830

Do one rack of ribs and share.  With time you can do all the pork and beef rib varieties - baby backs, spares, St. Louis cut, short ribs, etc.  It is an opportunity to do a low and slow but the amount of food isn't overwhelming. Experiment with different rubs and glazes.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• wbradking
    wbradking Posts: 351
    Salmon on the Egg is always a winner in our house.
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412

I hate to say it, but it looked a whole lot better than it tasted.  It was cooked right, but ZERO flavor.  I should have rubbed it with something, instead I threw it in a marinade.  

I agree. Pork chops are like vanilla ice cream. You've got to add something for flavor. I'm really liking this for pork chops right now:image
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Two of us as well, and I'm often grilling only a few things. 
    Thick cut chops (>1-1/2") are great reverse seared. 
    Cook them indirect at low temp as you can get with a pull temp of around 130ºF. The 20-30 minutes this takes allows the meat to take on smoke and rub flavour. Either pan sear or use the egg. 

Yours has great eye appeal, nice plating. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Low and slow chuck roast for pulled beef, Google Clay's pulled beef!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • I like the idea of experiment with different meals. Instead of just eating the ribs why not try doing rib sandwiches? I know you said your freezer is getting full but next time you do a brisket trying making a philly style sandwich with it? Or make get a DO and make chili. Just get creative and you can make excellent meals with the same meat that are totally different from each other.
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I cook for 2 adults, including myself, and 2 children under 5. I only do brisket or butts when I'm hosting a BBQ or cooking for another family - we've made it a tradition when a family has a baby we cook a meal for them.

I have an XL and medium, I love the XL becauseIu can cook the entire meal on the egg.
  • @shadowcaster Ok, I might get banned from this place for saying this, BUT I don't want to cook everything on the egg.  I was trying to see if there were other meats that we could cook low and slow. I really do like the sandwich idea with the leftovers.  Never would have thought of that...

We now have a new beans recipe we conjured up that has us put about a 8oz of frozen pulled pork in the beans.  FREAKING AWESOME.

I like @SmokingDAWG82 idea for the pulled beef using chuck roast.  That is now on the list.

Dallas, TX

• @TheShaytoon yea I am going to put in a request to have you suspended, it is only your first offense haha. I was just trying to give you some ideas, you don't have to try them all but just trying to show you different options.
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • DOH!  My production at the office will skyrocket if I get suspended from here!

I am excited about the sandwiches.  The wifey travels a ton, so I eat alone a lot.  

Dallas, TX