Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Suggestions for a Skinning Knife?

Options
QDude
QDude Posts: 1,052
Trying to remove the skin from a pork belly is a pain!  I think I need a curved skinning knife.  Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I got the 6" Victorinox curved boning knife off Amazon back in the summer and it's been fine. It seemed like a good value based on the reviews. I have had no problems with it. It's a good all around knife for a guy like me who knows nothing other than a butter knife, steak knife, and that knife.

If you are on a budget that's a good one, but if you're not on a budget there are about 10 knife snobs who will be chiming in sometime today. :D

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• shadowcaster
    Options
    Depends on what kind of knife that you are looking for. If you want a boning knife I would suggest the new Buck Harvester Series Boning knife, it is wicked sharp and holds an edge. It is also made in USA. Its a $70-80 knife that you can find online for a little over $40. You might want to look at a "skinner" knife, some tend to have a rounded point so you can get through the skin and not puncture the meat while you are running the blade up. I believe Victorinox sells one for fairly cheap and they are usually a good product. It all depends if you want a knife for just that specific task or if you want a good all around knife that you can use for multiple tasks
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    I know it's going to sound a bit weird, but I've become a fan of shopping at Bed Bath & Beyond for my cutlery needs. They have an excellent selection of quality made knives. I have especially taken a liking to the J. A. Henckels. Might take a look there if you have a store in your location.
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    First time I tried to cut away the skin, I found all of my kitchen knives were too dull. I opened a pack of snap off utility blades, cleaned the oil off them, wrapped  ends w. some masking tape, and sliced away. Did a good job, if a little awkward.

I bought a small Japanese style deba, Kai Wasabi brand. Its a single bevel knife, slightly curved like a skinner. Very hard stain resistant metal, 15 degree bevel total. That works well.

Also have a cheap R. Murphy skiving knife. Maybe $12. Skiving knives are made for shaving shoe leather to proper thicknesses. Works well, and is easy to sharpen. R. Murphy also makes skinning knives, but they are more expensive.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Mundial, made in USA. Chef's depot often has sales. Great boning and skinning knives. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

I love my skinning knive. Buck Omni Hunter 12pt.

Or did you mean for the kitchen and not actually skinning animals?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    did you par freeze it first, that would help. i would second the deba, the global single bevel deba has a really thin blade and super sharp grind angle, its the knife i used to skin out some buck tails a few weeks back
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • QDude
    Options

I got the 6" Victorinox curved boning knife off Amazon back in the summer and it's been fine. It seemed like a good value based on the reviews. I have had no problems with it. It's a good all around knife for a guy like me who knows nothing other than a butter knife, steak knife, and that knife.

If you are on a budget that's a good one, but if you're not on a budget there are about 10 knife snobs who will be chiming in sometime today. :D

Which model # did you buy?

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I've gotten to where I use a Havalon skinning knife.  It's pretty much a taxidermist's knife but it has stainless Razorblades that fit it and when they dull you just change them out.  It's basically a razorblade but the blade is shaped like a knife blade. 

Little Rock, AR

• RickyBobby
    Options
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • wyleeboy
    Options
    I've owned some expensive knives in me time, still have some actually, but you will not fine a nicer knife (and inexpensive) than a Dexter Russell. The only knife we use at deer camp!
  • QDude
    Options
    I've gotten to where I use a Havalon skinning knife.  It's pretty much a taxidermist's knife but it has stainless Razorblades that fit it and when they dull you just change them out.  It's basically a razorblade but the blade is shaped like a knife blade. 
    Can you tell me which knife you bought?  Thanks!

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    edited January 2014
    Options
    47515 is the one I bought on Amazon. 6-inch semi-stiff.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I've got a couple pirantas and a baracuda. Use the piranta the most but the baracuda is more like a filet knife and I use it a lot also. I would start with the smaller piranta. Those knives are a lot like the egg, I've converted a LOT of people to them. I give them away as gifts often.

Little Rock, AR

• QDude
    Options
    I've got a couple pirantas and a baracuda. Use the piranta the most but the baracuda is more like a filet knife and I use it a lot also. I would start with the smaller piranta. Those knives are a lot like the egg, I've converted a LOT of people to them. I give them away as gifts often.
    I am thinking of buying the Piranta Torch model.

XL BGE and a KBQ.