Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Way OT - any body ever write their own Obit?

Options
Tjcoley
Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
Ok, it's late and I've had a couple Tito's. A cousin of mine died yesterday, and after reading his obituary tonight, I decided to take a stab at writing my own just in case. One thing I realized is I have to take my brothers lead and start joining social clubs to pad my Obit. One of the things I added was 'Tom's favorite hobby was cooking/grilling/smoking on his Big Green Egg, where he spent hours preparing delicious meats, sides and desserts. He took pictures of everything he cooked, often delaying dinner until the cook was properly documented and posted on the Big Green Egg forum, so he could share with the dozens of friends he never met. He would also post pictures on Facebook to make relatives and friends drool over the great looking food'. Is this sick or normal for this group?

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    can I cut and paste?
    canuckland
  • Troglodyte
    Options
    Here Lies Troglodyte
      1943 - 

Hung for Rape at Age 94

-----------------------------------------------------
    Albuquerque, NM
    Large BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • Browninggold
    Options
    No sounds alright. I'll tell ya' now though you don't have to come to my funeral cuz' I'm not going to yours.
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    Oh I am definitely going to write my own.  I started doing one a few years ago was actually kind of nice to reflect on my life to that point.  I also plan on detailing bequeaths for specific items to specific people and uses.  Especially my Egg.
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Interesting post.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Gezr
    Gezr Posts: 154
    Options
    I didn't attempt the obit, but I did write out the "facts of my life"; such things as date and birthplace, parents' names, schools attended, jobs that I liked, hobbies, special friends, and so on. I gave this to my wife who can use it as she sees fit (making an assumption here). She is an English major and would do a better job on it than I ever would.
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Afton, VA
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I have lived since the Stone Age so this is a waste of my time.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    My liver has been preparing for several years.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    no need for an obit, front page news....search for fishlessman off the coast of gloucester ma has been called off  after his fishing vessel was found capsized during hurricane eggbert
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    He had the mouth of a sailor, lower intestine of an elephant, and a hamster bladder.  He owed an average of 50 bucks to everyone he knows, but always was able to buy another round.  He was found choked by an overly dry brisket that was sliced in the wrong direction.  His wife and 2 daughters will remember him as the IT guy who could also inflate their car tires when a light came on. He had crap no one in his right mind keeps, extra screws, old nails, a strange collection of hammers, crappy worn out screwdrivers, and more open end wrenches of duplicates sizes than is allowed under federal law. 

ha!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options
    Update/review mine annually around the holidays.  Have been doing this for several years. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Tj, you missed the part about being the greatest 'Papa out there, present company excepted of course......
    As Mickey says, interesting post. 
    I recall years ago while attending a time management presentation, daily activities where noted to occur between breakfast "B" and dinner "D". Someone pointed out that from the perspective of time management this could also mean birth and death. When displayed as B---------------------D on a white board, it is rather sobering to indicate where on the line you think you are. 

EDIT - condolences regarding your cousin...
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    My condolences for your cousin.

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Thanks all. Interesting feedback.
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Here Lies Troglodyte
      1943 - 

Hung for Rape at Age 94

In Ciudad Juarez?

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields