Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Case for keeping a 5/16" X 2 inch carriage bolt on hand

Options
matthethamm
matthethamm Posts: 51
edited January 2014 in EggHead Forum
I was doing a pizza last night, but that is another story.  I had the egg at 550 degrees, when I open up the lid to check the progress.  The lid shifted in the band.  As this is the first time it happened, needless to say, first I said it, then I loaded my pants with it!!  Well, finished the cook, and wife raved again.
To my point, next day, I was tightening the upper band bolt and it sheared right off in my hand.  Well, good thing this is a maintenance day, and not a cooking day.  Off to the Home Depot to get the 24 cent part.
Now I am all torqued up to 10 foot pounds (yes, with a torque wrench), and have a backup available.  I also double nutted each bolt.

Matt Hamm
Eggin in Alabama
Matt Hamm
Eggin' in Alabama

Comments

• brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Options
    Glad everything worked out. A little extra laundry, but nothing catastrophic.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I buy the stainless carriage bolts instead of the zinc. Home depot sells them by the 4 pack.
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    I was sold on the double nut idea until my bands shifted again last night:(
    Guess the nuts don't loosen after all rather the bands expand with the high temps...going to have to live with it I guess. Why does this phenomenon not happen to everyone tho???
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    You've had trouble before haven't you?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    henapple said:

You've had trouble before haven't you?

Yes I did and I thought the double nut had it solved but I was wrong..grrrrrrrr

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I never leave home without one!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Have two where I keep tools to check tight test
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• CajunEggHead
    Options
    Sounds like I need to check mine, thanks for the info

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • Z_Eggineer
    Options
    +1 for double nutting
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Now I am all torqued up to 10 foot pounds (yes, with a torque wrench)
    Matt, how did you come up with 10 ft lbs, which is little more than finger tight? Or is that a typo? I don't recall ever seeing a torque value, just that they are to be tightened until the bolts bend, far more than 10 ft lbs. Also, BGE uses Grade 5 carriage bolts.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Off to the Home Depot to get the 24 cent part.

Now I am all torqued up to 10 foot pounds (yes, with a torque wrench), and have a backup available.  I also double nutted each bolt.

Matt Hamm
    Eggin in Alabama
    Does your Home Depot stock Grade 5 carriage bolts? I tried to find bolts there but they only stock standard carriage bolts. 

I still need to go to FastenAll to pick some up.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • matthethamm
    Options
    Matt, how did you come up with 10 ft lbs, which is little more than finger tight?
    Actually, I re-read the assembly instructions.  It has 125 inch pounds called out.  And, this is what I torqued the bolts to.
    Yes, they have bent.
    Matt Hamm
    Eggin' in Alabama
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    FWIW 125 in/lb converts to 10.4 ft/lb.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    FWIW 125 in/lb converts to 10.4 ft/lb.
    Good to know that there remain 12 inches in one foot.  My students often forget this.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    My instructions call for 10 ft lbs and suggest a method for those like me without a torque wrench.  

I filled a 5 gallon bucket to a weight of 20 lbs, then hung on a 6" wrench to create 10 ft lbs of torque.  I have never had a problem, but I probably should check them
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY