Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Wings?

I'll do some searching on here tonight im sure, looking to break in the new swing rack, and sinse the kids have been asking for wings i thought i would take advantage of the extra room now.

I know i should search, just seeing if any one had some they would share. I did them a few times on the egg before. Its been awhile, im also looking for something differant to try I guess.

County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I like mine. Direct 400 Raised..... Butt Rub or Coffee Rub and that's all
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Mickey said:

Never have done direct, crispy skin?
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    edited January 2014
    probably do more buffalo than any

marinade 40 hours: 3/8 soy, 1 cup water, 3/8 cup red wine vinegar, 6 ounces franks red hot wing sauce, 1 tsp tobasco, and 1 tbsp chipotle

325 direct

sauce in a bowl to coat with 50/50 franks and butter

back on grill

having the best luck tossing them around in a basket during the cook

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    I do mine at 250 indirect for about an hour then direct at about 350 for a few minutes to crisp them up.
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1158650/chicken-wings-recomendations#latest

i have yet to do the Jalamango but apparently they are the greatest !
    I have done the  cajun wings that are in the above thread many many times as it really is amazing
    Toronto
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    I find air drying is key....at least 24 hours then starch and rub ,cook indirect at bout 375-400 works for me.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191

I find air drying is key....at least 24 hours then starch and rub ,cook indirect at bout 375-400 works for me.
    Just leave them exposed in a fridge ?
    sounds like a smart idea . I bet you get crunchy wings ?
    Toronto
  • Lemon Pepper Wings are the fav around here!

.... great for people who can't handle the heat of a standard Hot Wing
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • AlbertaEgger
    Lemon pepper is my wifes favorite. I have no choice but to do some of those. I'm going to do 3 kinds. Still debating on the other 2. So many options...
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Won't help for tomorrow, but Cazzy's wings are fantastic. 
    We have them at least once a month. 
    These are not crispy, but they are the best sticky wings ever, and if you reduce the marinade, it comes out like a candy dipping sauce. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • AlbertaEgger

Won't help for tomorrow, but Cazzy's wings are fantastic. 

We have them at least once a month. 
    These are not crispy, but they are the best sticky wings ever, and if you reduce the marinade, it comes out like a candy dipping sauce. 
    Won't be doing them till Sat I don't think, I may try those ones, if not this time, next time for sure. Everyone here pretty much likes them crispy as well. But I know I will be trying those out.
  • Mickey
    Mickey said:

You tell me. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• AlbertaEgger
    Mickey said:

Mickey said:

You tell me.
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Thanks Mickey, the wife and I just had a good laugh about that one. Needed that right now. Too funny. That was good.
  • Mickey
    One reason not to take a nap in the middle of a cook. Adult beverage may have been involved.

• AlbertaEgger
    Mickey said:

One reason not to take a nap in the middle of a cook. Adult beverage may have been involved.

It happens, it happens...
  • AlbertaEgger

Mickey said:

The wife just had to bring up napping and sleeping on that one. How I can wake up in an instant with the Mavrick beside the bed and alarm going off, but can sleep through a baby alarm like nothing during those overnight cooks....

• GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    I have had really good luck with wings lately.  Did a lot for football Saturdays this year.  I have been rubbing them with the rub I use for ribs, cooking them indirect at 400 for 30 minutes, and sauce them in a bowl when done with either a BBQ sauce or Buffalo Wing sauce.  

They have been very good, and they have been requested for the ballgame parties every week.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Lemon pepper is my wifes favorite. I have no choice but to do some of those. I'm going to do 3 kinds. Still debating on the other 2. So many options...

Grilled Lemon-Pepper Chicken Wings | she cooks...he cleans shecookshecleans.net/2011/08/23/grilled-lemon-pepper-chicken-wings In my humble opinion, chicken wings are good any time of the day or night. You can have them as appetizers, set them out as party food, or make a complete meal of ...
  • In my humble opinion, chicken wings are good any time of the day or night. You can have them as appetizers, set them out as party food, or make a complete meal of them for dinner. If there are any leftover (rarely), I will eat them for breakfast! We were having a craving for the lemon-pepper wings we get from a local delivery service, but their wings (although delicious), are extremely salty. Salty as in “my lips are burning and I need a gallon of water” salty. Instead of ordering out, I make up a lemon-pepper seasoning mix that was lower in salt, plus it was fresh and free of preservatives and fillers that you might find in store-bought varieties. Then we grilled up some wings of our own! Grilling chicken wings is really the best way to prepare them. Grilled wings are less greasy, have a nice outdoor-smoky flavor, and are much easier to clean up! However if you don’t have a grill (or the inclination to go outside because of the weather), you can also cook these in the oven on a baking sheet. I like to use whole wings, 1) because I am lazy and I hate cutting wings up, and 2) they are much easier to grill since they are less likely to slip through the grate. Brining the wings, before seasoning and grilling, will result in plumper wings that are less likely to dry out, and more flavor throughout the wing. Since the brine adds salt to the meat, you do not need much, if any, salt in the seasoning mix. We thought these were the best lemon-pepper wings we’ve ever had. We were also very hungry (and then had to endure through photographing them) – so please try them for yourselves and let us know what you think! Ingredients: 6 tablespoons kosher salt 6 tablespoons sugar 6 cups water 4 pounds of whole chicken wings (around 16 wings) 1/4 cup black peppercorns, ground using medium grind with automatic grinder (I used tellicherry peppercorns and a coffee grinder we only use for spices) zest of 2 lemons (2-3 tablespoons) 2 teaspoons ground coriander 2 teaspoons granulated garlic (NOT garlic salt) 3 teaspoons dried thyme 1 teaspoon kosher salt In a large resealable bag, shake up the 6 T kosher salt, 6 T sugar, and the water until salt and sugar have completely dissolved. Add the chicken wings and allow to brine for around 1 hour in the refrigerator. After brining, rinse the wings off and dry thoroughly on paper towels. If you’re not ready to grill yet, put the wings back in the refrigerator on a paper-towel lined baking sheet, uncovered. (Allowing them to dry uncovered in the refrigerator will help with the crisping when they are cooked.) Prepare a grill for cooking using indirect heat at around 400F. (With the Big Green Egg, use the inverted plate setter. Place an aluminum pan on the plate setter underneath the grate to catch drippings, for easier cleanup.) In a medium sized bowl, mix the freshly ground black pepper with the lemon zest. Press the zest into the pepper while mixing, to release more of the lemon’s oils. Add the additional ingredients and mix well. Place the wings in a large bowl and toss with a little olive oil to lightly coat the wings. Sprinkle in several tablespoons of the lemon-pepper seasoning, and toss the wings with your hands, making sure all surfaces of the wings get seasoned. Add more seasoning and toss some more. Repeat until you are satisfied with how much seasoning is on the wings. (Note: You probably won’t need all of the seasoning mix. Just put the leftovers in a sealed jar and keep in refrigerator until next time you need it.) Put the wings on the grill and let them cook around 15 minutes. Flip them over and cook about 15 more minutes. Keep flipping them until the skin is crispy and they are done – around 45-60 minutes total. (When they start getting loose at the joints, they are usually done.) Ready to eat – don’t burn your fingers!
  • ^^^ Had problems copying & posting link for my Lemon Pepper Wing recipe I use. Above is directly copied from the article/link. It's an awesome recipe! They're excellent.
  • What kind of wings do you start with?  Ive only tried them once ir twice but I found the chicken to be very fatty...
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Coffee rub is always good. These were air dried in the fridge about 12 hours, then starched for 6 hours then rubbed. Crispy. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @Griffin is a wing monger.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • mguzik
    mguzik Posts: 19
    i like to cook wings indirect at 275-300 with some dizzy dust ( red eye express or RR ) , it takes some time to hit the themp . 
     Transfer to foil pan ? add your favorite wing sauce for about 10 min and u r good to go !