Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I have a Turkey sandwich in front of me...

Options
jls9595
jls9595 Posts: 1,533
edited January 2014 in Poultry
I cooked it on Christmas Eve(last Tuesday), put the leftovers in a ziplock and into the fridge.  I bought a foodsaver on the following Sunday and promptly saved the turkey and put it back in the fridge.  I have a beautiful turkey sandwich made ready to eat, smells great, and my wife says I shouldn't since its been over a week since I cooked it.  She has me somewhat worried.  What say you guys?
In Manchester, TN
Vol For Life!

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    If it smells okay, I would eat it. And put whatever's left in the vac bag and into the freezer (where you should have put it when you vac sealed it). If you get sick tomorrow, throw the frozen stuff away. :) 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jls9595
    Options
    I've got two bites left lol.  Guess I was really just looking for info on what I can expect over the next few hours.  And yes, I should have frozen it.  
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Dunno. Never had food poisoning. Heard that I never WANT to have it either! Good luck. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    You'll be fine. They make emergency rooms these days.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • jls9595
    Options
    haha, thanks.  me neither, at least not yet.   Seriously though, wouldn't it have some sort of "off" smell or taste if it were going to make me sick?  I probably smelled it 50 times before I ate it.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Unless you like your milk and other chilled beverages at the borderline of refrigeration, around 40 degrees, You should be absolutely fine.  My fridge is just to the point it doesn't freeze things so about 34 degrees. I typically don't worry about fully cooked items until they go past 8-9 days.  I like to freeze them or dispose of them by 5 days, but like you it sometimes doesn't happen. 

Then again, I have a "Iron" stomach according to my wife so that probably doesn't apply to everyone. 
    :D
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I received the gift of food poisoning from Subway. 7 years later I still can't "eat fresh".
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jls9595
    Options
    henapple said:
    I received the gift of food poisoning from Subway. 7 years later I still can't "eat fresh".
    oh wow, I eat subway alot.  sorry to hear.  I'm still doing fine, I'll update if things take a turn  :)
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Just had a snack of Christmas Kielbasi (cured and smoked - figure it's good for another week or so) but also had a leftover turkey sandwich for lunch. Smelled and tasted great.