Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does it bother anyone else when people refer to their gas grills as their "barbecue"?

jls9595
jls9595 Posts: 1,533
that really sticks in my craw
In Manchester, TN
Vol For Life!

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I refer to mine as a 'Lodge Hibachi holder'
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    In the northeast, no, it's part of their vernacular(all things grill are called barbecuing).

I get a kick out of it everywhere else. If they only knew.
  • It all started on a gasser for me so it doesn't bother me at all.
    I never did call it a BBQ anyways. I just referred to it as a gas grill.
    Nowhere Indiana
  • Cookin' on the grill is they way folks around here refer to cookin' outside. Had a Weber for a long time till it rusted out. Enjoyed cookin' on it, then I got my LBGE.

Opelika, Alabama
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    It's all called BBQ here... If it's outside, it's a BBQ. Grab a pop and do some BBQ.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    I barbecued on a propane BBQ for 25 years so it would be pretty hypocritical for me to get upset when others use the term for grilling, I now know the difference between grilling and BBQ but not everyone does.  Most gassers, me included, have a very limited menu they cook- burgers, sausage, steak and occasional foiled fish.

Gerhard
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    How about when they refer to your BGE as a "grill"?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I never referred to my Weber gasser as a BBQ it was always "lets grill some steaks or chicken or whatever", when someone says lets BBQ I ask if they have a smoker, then comes the speech, and my wife rolls her eyes and say "not again".

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Nope.
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Bunch of Damn Yankees  :-)
  • dfrelich
    dfrelich Posts: 104
    edited December 2013
    I've never referred my gasser to BBQ either nor did I call my weber kettle or my new BGE as BBQ.    My understanding when you BBQ, it's anything under 300 degree.  If we set it up under 300 degree, we can call anything BBQ?

In keeping line with GASSER.  Last night my wife used the gasser (for first time in many weeks) because she has not learned how to use BGE yet.  My daughter immediately noticed something that we had to agree. 

My wife came in the house smelling of rancid fat dripping, rather than lump charcoal.  That made me realize I should throw out the gasser -- that is if we plan not to use it much.
    X-Large & Large
    Frederick County, MD
  • Git a rope.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,670
    being from newengland ive never owned a gas grill :)) now a bbq is where you eat hamburgers, hot dogs, and drink beer :)) a bbq is the event, not the food here, i went to one a few weeks ago, we ate shepards pie cooked in the oven and served out doors with a huge bonfire on the beach during a snow storm at midnight withJägermeister  :D now thats a newengland bbq. seems more fun than sitting around eating pulled pork and coleslaw after church on a sunday in teva shoes and shorts :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    dfrelich said:
    I've never referred my gasser to BBQ either nor did I call my weber kettle or my new BGE as BBQ.    My understanding when you BBQ, it's anything under 300 degree.  If we set it up under 300 degree, we can call anything BBQ?
    The best definition of BBQ I've come across is that it is meat flavored by spices and cooked in the presence of wood smoke, but not direct flame. The def. was based on the notion that 'Q started as the wood smoke fires the Taino and Caribs made below the wooden rack that held the meat above the coals.

One of the worst def.s I ever heard was from an older woman who had never had pulled pork till I brought her some. Her def. of BBQ was "something with sweet sauce on it."
  • They can call it whatever they want.  Why would it bother me?  Just as long as they don't call it a BGE ;-)
  • jls9595
    edited December 2013
    Well, apparently the word is translated literally as "sacred fire pit" so I guess you Yankees aren't really wrong after all. :D
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • jls9595
    Life's too short to get you shorts in a twist about small sh!t. Light your lump, grab a beverage and pity the ignorant fools.
    I agree, my craw is unstuck lol
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Here pulled pork is called bbq. There are grills and smokers therefore everything is grilled or smoked. Other than a barrel or side stack smoker it's a grill. We don't "go" to a bbq and we don't "bbq". That being said my friends always ask what I'm "cooking" on the egg?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jls9595
    henapple said:
    Here pulled pork is called bbq. There are grills and smokers therefore everything is grilled or smoked. Other than a barrel or side stack smoker it's a grill. We don't "go" to a bbq and we don't "bbq". That being said my friends always ask what I'm "cooking" on the egg?

right on, and I thought people from the city were different
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    henapple said:
    I am 100% with @henapple.  Being from the south(SC/NC) "BBQ" is pork and pork period. Everything else is "smoked such and such" when done in similar fashion. :-*
  • jls9595
    henapple said:
    I am 100% with @henapple.  Being from the south(SC/NC) "BBQ" is pork and pork period. Everything else is "smoked such and such" when done in similar fashion. :-*

I think brisket could be considered BBQ but yeah, BBQ to me has always been pulled pork
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Got to love the BBQ song

• Interesting, to us a barbecue is also an event, a meal where the food is grilled or smoked or somehow cooked outdoors. People often say "Come on over for a BBQ". I think most of my friends refer to a hibachi, gasser, kettle or kamado as a grill or BBQ almost interchangeably even though there is the obvious difference that some are used for grilling some are used for smoking.Gues it all depends on where you were brought up. 
    I think the term that bothers me more is the difference between a grid and a grate, I was taught that you cook on a grid, charcoal or wood burns on a grate.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    I'm from the north east .. I agree with Skiddy - a barbecue is something you go to that infers cooking and usually eating outside. It could probably even be a lobster boil.  

What kills me is calling something barbecued because it is swimming in barbecue sauce. 

If somebody invited me over for a bbq and we had store bought dogs and burgers on a picnic table ... I'm good... if someone invited me over for a bbq and it was crockpot pork lost in Sweet Baby Rays .. I'd be none too pleased.
  • jls9595
    TonyA said:
    I'm from the north east .. I agree with Skiddy - a barbecue is something you go to that infers cooking and usually eating outside. It could probably even be a lobster boil.  

What kills me is calling something barbecued because it is swimming in barbecue sauce. 

If somebody invited me over for a bbq and we had store bought dogs and burgers on a picnic table ... I'm good... if someone invited me over for a bbq and it was crockpot pork lost in Sweet Baby Rays .. I'd be none too pleased.

I understand, definitely a different connotation in the northern US.  I agree, just because there is BBQ sauce does NOT make it a BBQ, no matter where you are!
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Being a Texan, I am sure everyone will acquiesce to the true definition of BBQ.  This is straight from the Mariam Webster Dictionary.

v: To cook meat with indirect heat at low temperatures using smoke from southern hardwoods, such as pecan, oak, hickory, or mesquite.  Any other wood like apple, cherry, or peach is considered gay.  Accepted meats are primarily briskets from a bovine, but pork is also accepted if it is in the form of ribs or sausage.  Pulled pork and lamb are considered gay.

n: 
    1. The end product of smoking meat via the BBQ method.
    2. A gathering of Texans drinking Shiner Boch or Lone Star beer while standing over a fire and talking about the big buck they shot or the hot babe they hustled while waiting for the brisket to be ready.  Any other gathering at an outside cookout is considered .... (you guessed it).

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• jls9595
    VI, I will not oppose your definition except that pulled pork is not gay.  The other stuff you call gay I can agree with but c'mon man, pulled pork???
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • jls9595 said:
    VI, I will not oppose your definition except that pulled pork is not gay.  The other stuff you call gay I can agree with but c'mon man, pulled pork???

You're right, jls.  I was too harsh.  Let's use the word, effeminate.  
    :)>-

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Yes. It bothers me.
    Hendersonville, TN.