Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To Mustard or Not??

What is everyone's take on mustard on your butt before applying rub?  I've done with & without... can't say I've noticed a difference.  I feel like NO mustard allows the spices to get in to the meat better.  Am I full sh-t?
My daughter named my Egg Shrek, because it is big, green, and burps.  
LBGE in Arlington, VA
God Bless America!

Comments

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    No need to use mustard. The rub sticks fine without it.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I don't use mustard. I have tried it though. I used to use olive oil mostly. I don't use anything anymore and can't really tell a difference .

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• I'v done it with and with out didn't notice any difference  I personally prefer to rub with EVOO  1st then apply the dry rub 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Honest...I used to buy Frenchs yellow mustard by the case at Sam's because I used so much. Then one day I tried spare ribs without mustard and have never gone back! BTW I still have 7 bottles of mustard in my basement buy ahead pantry!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I do rub then mustard and more rub. No idea why I do the mustard
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I do...old habit.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I use to use the mustard rub, but while at acomp I forgot to pack it. My scores were higher. Dont think that's why but havnt used it since.
  • I put mustard on the bone side of ribs so all the rub sticks .
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Try Worcestershire sauce. Just a very light coat will do. That's what I use and it allows great penetration of the rub.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I use mustard and sometimes Sciracha sauce.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • I like the mustard for the flavor and basting effect it seems to have.  I use spicy brown mustard.

Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Mustard is for hot dogs. And South Carolina Q sauce. For some unknown reason.  :D

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• +1 on the worcestershire. Mainly on pork ribs and brisket. Took me 5 attempts to spell it correctly. Still could be wrong.

I also use mustard on butts.

Just the way I learned to do it. 

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    there was a survey/discussion on this recently, some folks even use mayo or miracle whip! I use mustard out of habit.
    canuckland
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited December 2013
    there was a survey/discussion on this recently, some folks even use mayo or miracle whip! I use mustard out of habit.
    Agreed, mayo or miracle whip is often suggested for turkey breast, never tried it on a butt. Like @Mickey, I use some rub, then the mustard, then more rub on butts, ribs go with only the rub. 

I think the mustard lets you really double up on the rub. I use whatever mustard I find in the fridge with a best before date that has long since gone. If it wasn't for butts, I'd have a fridge with as many mustard containers as @RRP has in his pantry. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!