Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New egg owner, a few cooks in

Phoenix area newbie. Picked up a large Egg three weeks ago, and I've had a handful of really good cooks, a couple decent cooks, and one horrible failure. First cook was a 5 lb (I think) pork butt. I used the memphis dust from amazingribs.com and cooked at 230-250 for about 9 hours with some mesquite from the back yard. Turned out pretty fantastic. The Chicken that I cooked next turned out good, but I completely ruined a 15 lb packer. I had just ordered a maverick remote thermometer. I noticed that there was a 50-80 deg. discrepancy between the new thermometer and the one that came with the egg (digital was reading high). Since I had just had a successful pork cook, I figured the digital thermometer had been calibrated incorrectly and went with the dial thermometer. I was wrong. Apparently I had tweaked the dial thermometer adjustment nut when I removed it. The new thermometer was dead on (I checked it against my oven later). I ended out cooking that brisket at about 350 all night (~12 hours). Pics below, ouch. Oh, I followed the brisket up with St. Louis style ribs and they were awesome. No "after" pics of that one, unfortunately...was too busy stuffing my face :) Thanks for all the tips I've picked up over the past month while lurking, look forward to sharing more stories with everyone.

Comments