Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New egg owner, a few cooks in

Options
Phoenix area newbie. Picked up a large Egg three weeks ago, and I've had a handful of really good cooks, a couple decent cooks, and one horrible failure. First cook was a 5 lb (I think) pork butt. I used the memphis dust from amazingribs.com and cooked at 230-250 for about 9 hours with some mesquite from the back yard. Turned out pretty fantastic. The Chicken that I cooked next turned out good, but I completely ruined a 15 lb packer. I had just ordered a maverick remote thermometer. I noticed that there was a 50-80 deg. discrepancy between the new thermometer and the one that came with the egg (digital was reading high). Since I had just had a successful pork cook, I figured the digital thermometer had been calibrated incorrectly and went with the dial thermometer. I was wrong. Apparently I had tweaked the dial thermometer adjustment nut when I removed it. The new thermometer was dead on (I checked it against my oven later). I ended out cooking that brisket at about 350 all night (~12 hours). Pics below, ouch. Oh, I followed the brisket up with St. Louis style ribs and they were awesome. No "after" pics of that one, unfortunately...was too busy stuffing my face :) Thanks for all the tips I've picked up over the past month while lurking, look forward to sharing more stories with everyone.

Comments

• s_austin_egger
    Options
    Welcome aboard. The pork and chicken look great. Most people screw up their first few briskets. Took me 3 or 4 tries to nail it but now I can put out some really good stuff cconsistently.
    I always trust my maverick. Never let's me down. Keep the pics coming.
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Options
    Congrats on the egg! What's a journey without a few detours? Don't worry about the failures, because you learn from them. Just keep posting pics!!!! :-)
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    I got plenty of failures under my belt, none were the egg's fault either. Get yourself a small pot of boiling water and when it's boiling make sure your thermometers are reading 212 (or the equivalent to your altitude). See what the temp difference is then adjust accordingly.
    Dunedin, FL
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Welcome
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • shadowcaster
    Options
    Welcome to the addiction!
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

Welcome to the herd.

Being that you are from AZ.

Would be nice to see a few of the local SW style cooks.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Welcome to the Insanity!
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Welcome aborad and enjoy the journey.  Great start and a lesson we all have learned with regard to your temperature indications.  "Any doubt-check the calibration", cheap insurance. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • xjwheelr
    Options
    Thanks guys. And yes, I'll be doing a lot of SW/Mexico-influenced cooks. Growing up here it's in my blood. I'm already foaming at the mouth to do some flap meat with a jalapeño/lime/roasted garlic marinade.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    xjwheelr said:
    Thanks guys. And yes, I'll be doing a lot of SW/Mexico-influenced cooks. Growing up here it's in my blood. I'm already foaming at the mouth to do some flap meat with a jalapeño/lime/roasted garlic marinade.
    Shhhhh! Don't tell anyone about flap. We'll keep it our little secret. Just ordered thirty pounds yesterday.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Looks pretty damn good too me!
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    Welcome, happy egging
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Welcome! We all have failed cooks under our belt, so no worries. Looking forward to more cooks. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.