Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

turbo butt - no foil - great bark!

Options
2»

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Ain't doing no spritz or anything else... The grid is 316 now and my IT is 171.., might open the vents a bit LOL
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    hapster said:
    Ain't doing no spritz or anything else... The grid is 316 now and my IT is 171.., might open the vents a bit LOL
    Well whats the verdict? Did you bump up the temp after? Get thru the stall yet?
    Doing mine in the morning if i'm not to hung over :)
    Post a pic!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options

hapster said:

Well whats the verdict? Did you bump up the temp after? Get thru the stall yet?
    Doing mine in the morning if i'm not to hung over :)
    Post a pic!

Pics for sure...

The grid is now at 327 and the IT is 188... No stall that I can tell. Put the butt on at about 1:30
  • Robert15t
    Options
    It was amazing I'm never doing a low and slow again. Thank you this
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Alright so I gotta do a quick butt today for dinner. Is the consensus here to do 350 give or take with no foiling to get a good bark? What's the approximate about of time?
    Dunedin, FL
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    To me it depends on the size. I have tried 350 with 10 pounders and the bark was not edible since it took so long to finish it burnt bad. I have had good luck turbo with shoulders up to 6-7 pounds. For large butts I take it down to 300 or just above but like others have said I only go low and slow when I set up the cyberq for an all nighter and am in no hurry.
  • yzzi
    Options
    Thanks @lit, I ended up just picking up a 12 pound package at Costco so they're probably 6 pounds each. I guess I'll tie the boneless ones up with twine to keep them together somewhat. Not together though.
    Dunedin, FL
  • yzzi
    Options
    Turned out pretty good. I got them on at 12:30 at 350.I wasn't going to foil until I realized I needed them done by 4,so I foiled them and poked some holes on the bottom to let grease drain out. One was nearly done by 4 except for a small part in the center, so that just got chopped instead. I unwrapped and threw the other in the oven at 250 to finish up while we were gone. Came home and it was perfect. I was surprised how much fat was in these. Usually when doing low and slow they're not greasy at all, but these were running grease like a sick toddler's nose running snot--big turn off. Maybe it was just these butts, and I usually trim off fat cap for more bark since it flops off anyways and there's plenty of fat inside. Oh well, I'd do it again if I needed it quickly like today, but I'm still a fan of 250 degrees. Thanks!
    Dunedin, FL
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    At least you tried the turbo method. I'm egging spares today - yup...also 350 turbo method - works for me!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • hikingham
    Options
    I did turbo 8 lbs last weekend.. 350 for couple of hours until interior hit 160 then foiled until hit 200
    did inject overnight with apple juice and apple cider vinegar and rub .
    My son said " there is no way could have made this any better"
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    @RRP Looks like in your first photo, you have a "potato nail" in the butt as well as your probe.  Is this the case, or am I not seeing it fully?    If it is a nail, do you feel it works well?
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • SidZer0
    SidZer0 Posts: 45
    Options
    How do the turbo butts "pull" as compared to the low & slow?
    Jax, FL
  • chupacabra
    chupacabra Posts: 77
    Options
    RRP said:

I've been a fan of the turbo butt method for a couple years now, but always missed the good bark  that a low and slow produced. After reading discussions I went with no foil yesterday and by 4 hr 40 minutes this 7.5 pounder had hit 200 internal. The bark was delicious and chewy! No more foil on turbo cooks for me!
    Nice work RRP!
    Marietta, Ga
    I feel bad for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day
  • RRP
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    @RRP Looks like in your first photo, you have a "potato nail" in the butt as well as your probe.  Is this the case, or am I not seeing it fully?    If it is a nail, do you feel it works well?
    no nail - just an extra thermometer probe I call a  confirmation probe.
  • RRP
    Options
    SidZer0 said:
    How do the turbo butts "pull" as compared to the low & slow?
    I have never noticed any difference - try it - you'll like it!
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I have done two PB's at 350° in about 4 to 5 hours before and am thinking of doing it again on the 4th. Planning on putting it on at 1130 to noon to get it ready by 530 or 6.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    Question for you all... I too, like to cook straight through for the great bark, however, when resting in the FTC It softens the bark. Is there a way around the FTC that allows you to retain the firm bark?
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @mcmac - folks FTC for a few hours and they only need to leave it out and let it cool down.  Don't FTC unless you are serving more than 3 or 4 hours after it's done.  
    Options
    @mcmac - folks FTC for a few hours and they only need to leave it out and let it cool down.  Don't FTC unless you are serving more than 3 or 4 hours after it's done.  
    Wonder why so many folks just don't get this. Butts and the like don't need to rest! They just don't. FTC if the meat is ready early. But try real hard NOT to. I don't even let mine cool. Off the egg and pulled (or better yet, CHOPPED) right away. Like the Chris Lilly video.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    mcmac said:
    Question for you all... I too, like to cook straight through for the great bark, however, when resting in the FTC It softens the bark. Is there a way around the FTC that allows you to retain the firm bark?

Like @nolaegghead‌ I never use the cooler unless I missed the cook time. But I Turbo and easer to hit dinner.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    Thanks folks... Makes sense to me.
    Saves on foil as well!
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR