Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket is done...

Options
2»

Comments

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Taking a stab at a select packer on Sunday. I did one a couple months ago and it was dry. I'm wrapping this one to finish it out.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Centex would say don't. ...After today I'd say don't. Let it go till it's literally butter. What rub are you using?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • New2Q
    New2Q Posts: 171
    Options
    Wow, I was disappointed when I had to pay $4.39 a pound at my local butcher for a choice brisket.  No way I'd pay $6 for one!
  • henapple
    Options
    I freaked out when Sam's had one for under $3 lb.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    henapple said:

I freaked out when Sam's had one for under $3 lb.

Brisket under 3 bucks/lb!

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    The black angus choice briskets are like $2.30 a pound at restaurant depot. I buy them to grind into burgers just because they are cheaper than the chuck roasts at Costco. Have time to kill tomorrow wifey has training may get a brisket for Sunday. What is centex's method? I always put them on at 250 and wait till they hit 190 and start sticking them for doneness.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Lit said:
    The black angus choice briskets are like $2.30 a pound at restaurant depot. I buy them to grind into burgers just because they are cheaper than the chuck roasts at Costco. Have time to kill tomorrow wifey has training may get a brisket for Sunday. What is centex's method? I always put them on at 250 and wait till they hit 190 and start sticking them for doneness.

That is the Centex method (aka- cooking a brisket the way god intended as people have done since brisket was invented) .
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Brisket looks awesome @henapple!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Great job Tony!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    henapple said:
    Centex would say don't. ...After today I'd say don't. Let it go till it's literally butter. What rub are you using?

old brisket #2 Www.Txbbqrub.com
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Yes forgot to say brisket looks really good.
  • henapple
    Options
    @Cazzy...who are you? Are you new here? Welcome.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Awesome looking. We are having brisket for our Christmas dinner. Can't wait.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Options

Henapple, what chili recipe did you end up using?  Like it?  Hate it?  im still trying to pin one down.

• pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options
    good work !! that looks glorious

Toronto
  • bccomstock
    Options
    Lit said:
    Centex also recommends using oak chips or chunks for smoke.. I agree completely.  I used some B&B Oak Lump along with a couple Western oak chunks and had my best brisket ever.  I liked the John Henry's East Texas Brisket Rub I used on it as well.

It also happened to be an choice angus cut that I never seem to find at Sam's anymore. Apparently they only cut them up and put those out (at my Sam's) if the packing gets busted.  But I sure don't see CAB cryovacs there either.
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • henapple
    Options
    busmania said:

Henapple, what chili recipe did you end up using?  Like it?  Hate it?  im still trying to pin one down.

http://www.thesouthinmymouth.com/tag/brisket/

I think this one
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    I like the idea of the cornbread croutons in that recipe.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• henapple
    Options
    Might have sher-bear make cornbread.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    After seeing this I got the major jones to do a brisket. I have been to 6....count em, 6 stores today and not one single choice packer. Called Sam's and only flats. Called Whole Foods..........of course they have one.......$6 per lb. No thanks.

Randall's (Safeway) has CAB flats at a fair price and select packers. I may have to do a freaking select packer tonight. What the hell has this world come to. This is Austin Freaking Texas not New Hampshire. Where's the damn choice packers??????????

Guess they sent them up to Murfreesboro where people make freaking chili out of them.

B-)

So I was out with #1 son watching a little football this morning and we met Joan at Whole paycheck to drop off some Rockwood. I've looked everywhere and i can't find a good brisket. I buckle down and go to the meat counter and they have one left..........$76. I just couldn't do it. I went and got a floppy select packer for $30 at the store by my house. It is not supposed to be this hard to find a choice packer in Austin. i went to 7 freaking stores/butcher shops. This same store I got this Brisket did have some great looking little CAB flats with a little point meat on there for like $15-$20. i think I'm going to grab one just to see if I can do a good flat.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    @henapple‌ what was your rub on this brisket. I'm doing one tonight and need to figure out how I'm going to do it. I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd ask.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Looks awesome, great job. Just finished eating a week of leftover brisket and want to go but another one after seeing that bark.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• henapple
    Options

@henapple‌ what was your rub on this brisket. I'm doing one tonight and need to figure out how I'm going to do it. I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd ask.

Sorry man..bad Byron's. Just checked the forum. ..sober. kinda
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @henapple-something is seriously going south in Salado if you are able to forum function at 1 PM on Sat.  Must be the SWMBO influence :)>-  To all from the forum that made the road trip-enjoy Salado!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    Awesome !!!! Well done Bro...
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....