Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak Help

Options
I have been ruining some good steaks lately and need some help. The steaks have been 1 1/2" ribeyes. I cook them at around 600 degrees for 2 minutes then flip for another 2 minutes. The main problem is that they taste burnt each time. Any advise?

other details:

1) I use a cast-iron grid
2) I rub with olive olive and season w/ salt and pepper.

Comments

• Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    Options
    I think your burnt taste is from the pepper burning. I just season with salt (no olive oil for me at high temps , I find there is no problem with seasonings sticking without oil). Sometimes I don't even salt. I add my seasonings during the rest. You can add butter at this point if you want to make it a bit richer. I would check out the reverse sear method for thick steaks though. It's an indirect roast at low temperatures to get the steak to about 10 degrees from your target temp, then a sear. It works great for thick cuts that are difficult to cook all the way through without burning the outside.
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    salt only, no oil and no pepper, your burning the pepper. there are better methods for thick steaks, try the trex or hot tub method for shorter sear times. trex is a hot fast sear, take it of the egg and lower temps for about 20 minutes down to 400 degrees, then back on the egg and roast til done. hot tub is slip the steak into a ziplock and place it in hot water in the sink for a half hour or so, then sear it til done. and a thermapen is real handy at getting a steak cooked properly
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bclarksicle
    bclarksicle Posts: 167
    edited November 2013
    Options
    yep, everybody's right...the oil in particular will burn at that high of a temp. 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Have you calibrated your dome thermometer? You may be off. Also rather than keep ruining steaks you might want to buy a Thermapen. Cooking to temperature beats cooking to time!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Agree- no oil and try the reverse sear technique. Also make sure you are burning off the VOC's before putting the steaks on
    Greensboro, NC
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    @Hoov has it right. Reverse sear is ideal, because everything happening during the indirect cook happens very slowly, target internal temp is easy to hit. I use 250-300º indirect with some seasoning and smoke if you like that. Pull, rest steaks while egg goes lava, dab to reduce surface moisture and remove any surface spices then sear for colour. Anything other than salt will burn with a hot sear. 
    I put my CI grid under the setter so it is already smoking hot. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    +1 on reverse sear
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    other than whats been mentioned about burning spices and a prefered cooking method for big steaks theres one more thing that comes to mind, its that castiron grate. i stopped using mine a few years ago, i found i just dont like it in the egg and prefer my stainless one
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    As everyone has said, omit the pepper and oil--particularly the oil.  When oil passes its smoke point not only does it taste awful, it becomes carcinogenic.  Olive oil has a very low smoke point.  It should never be used in high heat applications, whether those applications are being carried out on the egg, the stove, or the oven.  People really overuse olive oil, especially for things like sauteing and grilling.  They do it because they enjoy the taste and they like the idea of the health benefits.  Trouble is, you will get neither the taste nor the health benefits (in fact, the impact on your health will be overwhelmingly negative) if you heat the oil past its smoke point.  Use olive oil primarily for dressings and low heat cooking.  That's it.  

As far as the best way to make a steak, as people have said, reverse sear is a good method.  Personally, I prefer the T Rex method, but whatever floats your boat.  Each will get you a great piece of meat.  And you should definitely invest in a digital thermometer of some sort.  Thermapen is the best, but if you don't want to spend that kind of cash, you can get a Thermoworks digital for $20 that does the job. 
    Southern California
  • Sir SmokeAlot
    Options
    Can someone define for me the T Rex method?
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    edited November 2013
    Options
    @ Sir SmokeAlot 
    Sear first (600 or so), remove, lower temp.(400 or so) and put back on until desired temp. is reached.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • SmokinBones
    Options
    Make sure you're not getting flame ups on the steak. I use thick steaks (2" if ribeye, more if filet) season with EVOO, kosher salt, and fresh cracked pepper only. Sear at 700 for 2-3 minutes each side (LID CLOSED), then throw my half moon stone in and roast atop that for a few minutes until med-rare. Keeping the lid closed will keep you from getting flame ups which results in the burnt taste. Never had a problem grilling with EVOO (light application) or pepper. Not sure how you cook good meat without them.