Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pretzel buns

Options
Decided to try the pretzel bun recipe from the bge site tonight with some burgers...

Took a couple hours end to end...but the family really loved them...doubled the recipe so we had pleanty of extras... made 9 per batch so they were a bit bigger...

Broke the beaters on swmbo's hand mixer...Had to finish kneeding by hand... next time I will drag out the big mixer with the bread hook.

Cooked on a cookie sheet with parchment... took a little longer then advertised but can't argue with the results.

http://www.biggreenegg.com/recipes/pretzel-sandwich-buns/

Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Will have to try!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    Those look really good!
    XL BGE
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    That looks sooo good! I could eat just the buns with some jalapeño mustard right about now . :)
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    That looks sooo good! I could eat just the buns with some jalapeño mustard right about now . :)
    Ha...one of my sons did just that!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Those look very good.  What is special about a pretzel bun?  Texture?  Flavor?  I don't  think I've  ever had one,  but I love homemade  breads. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    Its a little darker bread...pretty firm with a hint of salty taste to it...popular at Wendy's right now...if you have ever had a soft pretzel...kinda the same concept...I like them with just mustard or nacho cheese
  • D_Train
    Options
    I tried making Alton Brown's pretzel recipe on the egg recently as sort of a test run for burger buns. The recipes look similar.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/homemade-soft-pretzels-recipe/index.html

I used the pizza stone on the grid above the platesetter and the bottoms were slightly overdone. I'll have to try the sheet pan next time.
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    That's impressive, looks great
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Awesome!  I'll take mine with some of that jalepeno mustard, some grilled onions, and a couple of these patties ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Nice. =D> On my to-do list.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    I wonder if you could turn it into jalapeno buns? That would be a kick.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Hotch said:
    I wonder if you could turn it into jalapeno buns? That would be a kick.

With a little bit of cheese? :-bd

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Gonna have to give these a try.  There's a burger joint (FlipDaddy's) by the house that my wife loves their Mushroom and swiss burger on a pretzel bun.

The recipe above calls for unbleached flour.  What makes these pretzel buns instead of regular bread buns?
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    Gonna have to give these a try.  There's a burger joint (FlipDaddy's) by the house that my wife loves their Mushroom and swiss burger on a pretzel bun.

The recipe above calls for unbleached flour.  What makes these pretzel buns instead of regular bread buns?
    the water bath gives the exterior a nice chew, similar to a soft pretzel or a bagel. the wendys knockoff isnt a pretzel bun in my opinion, no chew, just a brown soft crust
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    +1

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Man, oh, man. Pretzel rolls alone are enough of a reason to visit Bavaria. I've never been able to duplicate the ones I've had in Munich. Will give these a try. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    YEMTrey said:

the water bath gives the exterior a nice chew, similar to a soft pretzel or a bagel. the wendys knockoff isnt a pretzel bun in my opinion, no chew, just a brown soft crust
    Thanks for the info!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    THESE ARE FANTASTIC! Just like the ones I had in Bavaria. I made one small change: I brushed with an egg white beaten with 1T of water before cutting. Thanks so much for this.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    Options
    Pretzel buns are awesome! Nice job! Try a hot dog wrapped in pretzel dough too! Here's some I did on the Egg a few weeks ago. I use Jeff Mauro's (The Sandwich King) pretzel roll recipe, it is similar to Alton Brown's, but has garlic added.

- Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK