Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanksgiving - whatcha cookin?

I'm feeling uninspired for this year's Turkey Day.  I'll certainly smoke a turkey on the LBGE, but what else is everyone eating for Thanksgiving?   Roasted veggies?   Rhubarb pie?   Popcorn, Toast and Jelly Beans like Snoopy?

Comments

• We always go up to my parents house so no egging for me.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    I am cooking the turkey on the Egg - Wife and family will handle the rest if they want anything else.

I would like to cook some bread on the Egg as well just dont know for 1.) How? 2.) when (I only have a LBGE and the bird will be spatchcocked direct at 350-400. 

May throw on a CI Chocolate chip cookie for desert.

Garnerville, NY
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Here's a great bread thread: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1411013

I did a trial run in the oven, and it was excellent. Will try it on the egg next time.

What about making the bread on the egg  early in the day, the getting the turkey done afterwards.

Of course, you could also use this as an excuse to get the second egg :D

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I've been looking for inspiration since this will be the first Thanksgiving with the LBGE.  Leaning towards a brined turkey breast.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Thanksgiving is usually the only time I make a turkey dinner with all the trimmings. I may do a brined breast for sandwiches once or twice a year but that's about it. The woman unit always makes homemade cranberries and sausage dressing with gravy (stuffing) I handle the mashed taters, sweet taters, sweet corn and maybe a green veggie. Makes for a very filling meal with lots of leftovers. This'll be my first turkey cook on an Egg, which I'm looking forward to.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • We'll be in New Zealand for Thanksgiving this year, so maybe some New Zealand lamb! 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• LBC Dawg
    LBC Dawg Posts: 116
    Mickey said:
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    How does the spatchcocked turkey turn out? i've done chickens but never a turkey. might try something new this yr.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    We'll be in New Zealand for Thanksgiving this year, so maybe some New Zealand lamb! 
    Yea.....rub it in!!!  Color me jealous.  Can't wait to read the write-up.  Have a blast.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Mickey
    edited November 2013
    We'll be in New Zealand for Thanksgiving this year, so maybe some New Zealand lamb! 
    La T Da................. Nice to be you, just glad I get to follow your travels (I lead a very simple life).
    =))
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Going to my sisters.  Committed to Pulled Pork (done Wednesday and reheated there), and a Brisket (will have to overnight it and hopefully time it right) that I'll FTC.  I'll use her gasser for the pig candy, and if there's time, some Apple Pies baked inside an apple.
    CP92 Posts: 317
    Haven't had a real vacation since 2008 and while it's only a few days, we're heading to Charlottesville, VA and a place called Prospect Hill for the T-Day and the weekend.  Supposedly the restaurant is pretty good and putting on a traditional spread.  Still pissed at Congress and derailing our plans to got to NOLA for that weekend, but we'll take VA.
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I'll smoke a free range, fresh turkey.
    My wife's dressing and giblet gravy.
    SIL makes the squash casserole.
    Mama C's sweet potatoes.
    Smoked turnip greens.
    I'll make deviled eggs.
    Might smoke a small ham.
    Jake makes the buttermilk and pecan pies.

On a side note... The only stuffing will be our pie-holes. I would take a bath in my wife's dressing and gravy.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • caliking
    @henapple - that sounds like a wonderful spread. What time should we plan to be there? I'll just get the squash casserole recipe at dinnertime. 

• henapple
    We eat Thursday around 2. Bloody Marys in the cave while I "tend the egg".
  • henapple said:
    I'll smoke a free range, fresh turkey. My wife's dressing and giblet gravy. SIL makes the squash casserole. Mama C's sweet potatoes. Smoked turnip greens. I'll make deviled eggs. Might smoke a small ham. Jake makes the buttermilk and pecan pies. On a side note... The only stuffing will be our pie-holes. I would take a bath in my wife's dressing and gravy.
    Dressing and gravy together?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    I love smoked acorn squash. Basic butter and brown sugar. Heck I may make one this weekend!

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    First Thanksgiving with the egg, I'm in charge of the bird. Family wants it whole, any suggestions - would love some advice.

Cheers Mark
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    LBC dawg. Spathcock turkey is amazing. Juiciest turkey we ever made

Garnerville, NY
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited November 2013
    Aquacop said:
    First Thanksgiving with the egg, I'm in charge of the bird. Family wants it whole, any suggestions - would love some advice.

Cheers Mark

The Mad Max method produces amazing turkey. I don't use his gravy method cause I always make a dark stock and make a demi glace. Icing the breasts is the greatest idea.

Also, angle your roasting pan towards the back so that one leg is close to the back toward the back and change the angle halfway so the other leg is closest to the back.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple

henapple said:

I'll smoke a free range, fresh turkey.
    My wife's dressing and giblet gravy.
    SIL makes the squash casserole.
    Mama C's sweet potatoes.
    Smoked turnip greens.
    I'll make deviled eggs.
    Might smoke a small ham.
    Jake makes the buttermilk and pecan pies.

On a side note... The only stuffing will be our pie-holes. I would take a bath in my wife's dressing and gravy.

Dressing and gravy together?

Dude, it's a southern thing. Come on down, we'll drink, eat, watch football, drink, eat, drink, etc....

In the south, gravy and something fried at every meal.
  • Football? You have footie down there?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    I went to an Eggfest a couple of years ago and the BGE rep was cooking a turkey. He put a 15lb bird on frozen rock solid at 350 degrees and 5 hrs later he pulled out an amazing bird - incredibly moist with crispy skin. I've done it a couple of times that way and had good results. The hard part is getting the giblets out after a couple of hours as they are still somewhat frozen in there. 

I think this year I'll try spatchcock turkey. I never discovered spatchcock chicken until I found this forum a few months ago. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • I've done a frozen bird too. As you say, getting the bag out was the toughest part.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• @ Littlesteven &minniemoh my question is how do you season a frozen Turkey ?
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • I added the external seasoning after it was on for a while. Put some stuff in the cavity when the bag came out

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mickey
    edited November 2013
    @ Littlesteven &minniemoh my question is how do you season a frozen Turkey ?

I found the answer when doing frozen wings. As they start to thaw.

• caliking
    @henapple - for that spread I'd be sorely tempted to ditch the fam in MI and head on over. After a few Bloody Mary's its every man for himself!

• henapple

I've done a frozen bird too. As you say, getting the bag out was the toughest part.

Damn you Canadians are kinky...