Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New guy stupid chicken question

The wife really wants to do beer can chicken.  I've read to put the legs up.  Here's my question:  What temp do you guys go to in the breast and the legs IT?  I figured I'd go with 400* dome so I can get a little crispy skin.  Also, how long to get to 165 IT typically?

Thanks for the help while I get a good handle on it!

Charleston, SC

Comments

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    edited November 2013
    I com until 165-170 coolest part. Also See good article at http://www.nakedwhiz.com/beercanchicken.htm
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    I never have cooked a stupid chicken........................... :))
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Don't do beer can unless your SWMBO  has a bird with can in butt fetish. Spatch it, cut the back bone out and do it 375-400º raised direct.....will be just like a BC chicken. 
    if you do it on a roaster/can, no beer - no fluid in the can and invert it, the dome is hotter and the legs will cook better. About 60 minutes, so with rest, 75-90 minutes total. IT, 155 breast, 165-170 legs. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited November 2013
    jaydub58 said:
    I never have cooked a stupid chicken........................... :))
    There's no such thing as a stupid chicken (or question).

Your approx. cook time will depend on the size of the chicken but, assuming a normal 3-4 lber. Skiddy's estimate is probably about right.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • +1 on the spatch..
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • I only like to do beer can chickens in larger BBQ pits. 

In most home grills, you are much better off cooking spatchcocked chicken because the whole chicken is cooking at the same temperature.  Most home grills have a pretty big temperature gradient from top to the grill grate so the top part of the chicken is cooking at one temp and the bottom can be cooking at a temp as much as 25 degrees lower.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited November 2013
    I only like to do beer can chickens in larger BBQ pits. 

In most home grills, you are much better off cooking spatchcocked chicken because the whole chicken is cooking at the same temperature.  Most home grills have a pretty big temperature gradient from top to the grill grate so the top part of the chicken is cooking at one temp and the bottom can be cooking at a temp as much as 25 degrees lower.

True, That's why I started doing them this way.

photo 102d1019-ecc6-4ae7-ad28-99d03d1d57f3.jpg

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• He's the stupid chicken because he's the one on the grill!  haha.  I think she just likes the novelty of a beer can chicken.  I'll tell her I did it her way and just do it mine....she'll never know the difference.

Charleston, SC
  • I have done several beer can chickens in the past and several whole chickens in the Vrack and to tell you the truth I don't see any difference or taste any difference so as far as I'm concerened the beer can is no big deal yeah it looks cool and the skin is evenly cooked because no skin touching grill rack other then that no advantage to beer can 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    I didn't read the whole thread but the stupid chicken most likely deserved to die, spatchcock style.
  • Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    Not sure the size of your egg, but do one beer can and one spatchcock, SWMBO will never want beer can again!
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    I think I will leave this one alone.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I thought it said "stupid guy, new chicken question". You realize if you don't spatchcock the damn thing you will be excommunicated.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • How do you guys get drippings if it's spatchcocked?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• @henapple dyslexia is a son of a B.  I'll just go with two half chickens.  Takes the work out of gettting the same result.

Charleston, SC
  • Aquacop said:
    Not sure the size of your egg, but do one beer can and one spatchcock, SWMBO will never want beer can again!
    Got the medium.  Not too big, but it gets the job done!
    Charleston, SC
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Plus 10 on spatchcock, I did beer can for years until I learned about spatchcocking and have never gone back plus you have an extra cold beer to drink while you are spatching. Win-Win...

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • @henapple dyslexia is a son of a B.  I'll just go with two half chickens.  Takes the work out of gettting the same result.

Henapple would be hours trying to stitch the thing back together if he did that
    :D

Steve 

Caledon, ON