Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Insane table prices

@!!

Has anyone priced Select Outdoor Kitchens or Challenger tables?

What are these people smoking?!!

Tiny little carts for the egg that go for 2 - 4X (!!) the price of a large?  For a CART?!!

I can't believe the retail price on this guy - THREE THOUSAND, TWO HUNDRED AND NINETY-NINE DOLLARS?!!

While I don't make cabinets for a living, I can't fathom that it costs them even a third of that to make this.  So, is it just the case of people getting incredibly greedy (hey, they can afford a BGE..bend over if you want a table to go with it!!) or is there something I'm missing here?

Really frustrating as I want to buy (vs build) a table - but no way in HEL$ I am going to fork over three - or even two - thousand dollars for a cart.

Pretty disappointing.  I know I can buy the BGE table for a little under $600, but I really don't like it and don't think it will weather well.  So, I guess you get what you pay for, but that's still a mind blowingly large gap in price between the two.

I still like the Primo tables and wonder if the Primo made for their round will fit the BGE..

I really hesitate to put the Egg in a nest on my deck..had my Mini going last night and had a couple large sparks / embers pop out the bottom while it was heating up and the draft door was open..fortunately, my Mini sits on a table so it wasn't an issue.  But a nest - those sparks could so easily get caught by a breeze and go just about anywhere - even with a fireproof mat or four down.  And that just doesn't make me comfortable.  Soooo..I want a decent table to help protect the Egg from the wind, allow me to put my cast iron dustpan in front of it, etc..and also to make the big green and not so pretty egg look tolerable on my deck.  But there is NO way I'm forking over 3 plus grand to do it..

I wonder how many of these they actually sell.  Maybe that's why they cost so much..

Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Quite a few people on here have these types of tables. @robnybbq, @hondabbq have a select kitchens and Challenger, respectively.

These carts are impervious to nature, being made of aluminum, stone, and composite(the horror!) so they will not require any maintenance beyond cleaning, unlike wood.

They are manufactured in the USA(Missouri and Indiana) so yes, you get what you pay for, based on people's responses that own them.

@gatabites has one and I believe @r2egg2q may have one as well.
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980

What size table is this price for?

I bought my Challenger direct as I have no dealer locally and I feel for what I got compared to the BGE tables it was a steal for the cost and shipping to Canada.

I too wanted a nice piece to put the egg into and I didn't want wood for a couple of reasons. I never did find one that I liked the look of. Don't get me wrong there are some nice wood ones but not to my personal liking. I also wanted a metal table after much deliberation due to the temperature extremes I get up here. For me Challenger fit the bill.

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    I have seen the one in your picture for ~$1K at an end of the year sale. 

I have the SOK Harlow (Corner table) and I love it.  Holds all my Eggcessories easy to clean and will not rot in the weather.  I wanted something to conceal all the extra grates, tools, etc.  I did not pay thousands for it.  List prices are insane but it was a little expensive but you get what you pay for.  it looks like a custom outdoor kitchen.  Just need running water and a fridge out there (BTW the kitchen is 10 steps away) so maybe just a new cooler.

I was going to build a cabinet type table and after pricing out just the materials (wood, wheels, sealer granite top) I was ~$1,000 plus would only last a few years outdoors.  So to get one made professionally for a little more was worth it.

Garnerville, NY
  • I too have a SST table from Castle Stoves, sure it cost as much as my egg but for me it was worth it to have a SST table that wouldn't burn and could handle the weather. I would not buy the BGE wood table but that's just me. Hundreds of people have built their own tables for not a lot of cash, others have built really nice expensive outdoor kitchens. It's a matter of preference. So don't knock others for not conforming to your preference.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • I think you would be very surprised if you added up the cost of the materials put in them, then figure in the labor and the overhead costs.  I too thought they were very expensive compared to a wood construction cabinet but when you consider what they are made out of and how long they'll last, they are likely a good value.  I just built an 8' cedar cabinet with a granite top.  I bought all of my materials "on sale" and even used some recycled shipping crates for framing materials.  I quickly had over $700 just in material and put well over 40 hours into building it.  I wouldn't sell mine for less than $3000.  I will agree, list price is crazy but if you hunt around, you should be able to find one at a discount and have something that will last many years.

Sioux Center, IA

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Craigslist list has a bunch of tables for around $350. I also have seen kamado joe ss tables for around $500 on sale. If you can build your own you can save a lot. Personal preference... I love my stainless in the cave but like the warmth of tile and wood.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I have a guy who repurposes old barn wood and roofs whos building me a table as we speak.  Going to pick it up in ATL this weekend.  He and his wife make all kinds of cool home furnishings.  Their website is www.blissfullybuilt.com and they start at around 350.  Pretty cool tables for the money.
  • robnybbq said:

I have the SOK Harlow (Corner table) and I love it.  Holds all my Eggcessories easy to clean and will not rot in the weather.  I wanted something to conceal all the extra grates, tools, etc.  I did not pay thousands for it.  List prices are insane but it was a little expensive but you get what you pay for.  it looks like a custom outdoor kitchen.  Just need running water and a fridge out there (BTW the kitchen is 10 steps away) so maybe just a new cooler.

I was going to build a cabinet type table and after pricing out just the materials (wood, wheels, sealer granite top) I was ~$1,000 plus would only last a few years outdoors.  So to get one made professionally for a little more was worth it.

I looked at the Harlow from Select Outdoor Kitchens also - very nice table.

What's the trick to buying these at (far) less than list prices?

We don't have a dealer in my State (MI) so I called corporate - and instead of giving me a "direct" price, the owner quoted me MSRP (nice).  Guess he had absolutely zero interest in selling to me.

I'd think the list price on the Harlow is > $3K if the one I posted is over that.

I'd gladly pay $1,000 - $1,500 for one of these.  No freaking way I'm shelling out THREE GRAND for a CART, however (out of pure principal - I just think the manufacturer and/or retailer is being insanely greedy and unreasonable at that point).
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • hondabbq said:

What size table is this price for?

I bought my Challenger direct as I have no dealer locally and I feel for what I got compared to the BGE tables it was a steal for the cost and shipping to Canada.

I too wanted a nice piece to put the egg into and I didn't want wood for a couple of reasons. I never did find one that I liked the look of. Don't get me wrong there are some nice wood ones but not to my personal liking. I also wanted a metal table after much deliberation due to the temperature extremes I get up here. For me Challenger fit the bill.

I looked into the Challenger that you have.  Price from my dealer was over $1,350.  That ain't bad compared to the Select Outdoor Kitchens one, but also doesn't seem as nice..and I don't think I got much for that aside from one pullout drawer and the cabinet underneath..
  • robnybbq
    SmokyBear said:
    robnybbq said:

I looked at the Harlow from Select Outdoor Kitchens also - very nice table.

What's the trick to buying these at (far) less than list prices?

We don't have a dealer in my State (MI) so I called corporate - and instead of giving me a "direct" price, the owner quoted me MSRP (nice).  Guess he had absolutely zero interest in selling to me.

I'd think the list price on the Harlow is > $3K if the one I posted is over that.

I'd gladly pay $1,000 - $1,500 for one of these.  No freaking way I'm shelling out THREE GRAND for a CART, however (out of pure principal - I just think the manufacturer and/or retailer is being insanely greedy and unreasonable at that point).
    Look for dealers and see if they have any in stock "End Of Season" sales.  The place I got mine had the SOK's and some other brands that were nice as well - deeply discounted.

Garnerville, NY
  • Alright, i have to weigh in here.  I probably spent too much on my outdoor kitchen.......... but it is beautiful, and all i had to do was set it in place and bolt it all together.  It has become a great place to spend around the egg, and i invested about two hours of time in it.  It is powder coated aluminum, and i expect it to hold up well in the heat and humidity in south Florida.  I would recommend the set up to anybody.  It was done by Challenger, and they were great to work with.  I have had it in for about a year now.

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Ok, dumb question. Does the exhaust system pull air through the egg?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    You can go the low end route or the high end
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    ccpoulin1 said:
    Alright, i have to weigh in here.  I probably spent too much on my outdoor kitchen.......... but it is beautiful, and all i had to do was set it in place and bolt it all together.  It has become a great place to spend around the egg, and i invested about two hours of time in it.  It is powder coated aluminum, and i expect it to hold up well in the heat and humidity in south Florida.  I would recommend the set up to anybody.  It was done by Challenger, and they were great to work with.  I have had it in for about a year now.

Did they custom make the corner section with the sink in it? Where does sink drain?  What is in the section to right of sink?

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I believe @r2egg2q may have one as well.

I don't have a high end table. Mine is a Sole Kamado Crate that I think retailed for about $600 but I bought it off an online auction for $255. I think they phased out my model as the current model has a larger cabinet area. It isn't shiny but it is pretty sturdy and I've been really happy with mine.

After I assembled it:
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

After the Egg grew up to be a LBGE:
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • henapple said:
    Ok, dumb question. Does the exhaust system pull air through the egg?
    No, don't believe it will. It will pull smoke away on a still day when it tends to just hang around in the yard. I've been thinking about putting one in my BBQ pit with a light, so it does double duty. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    edited November 2013
    There are several important reasons I chose the XL Challenger cart. As we speak, I have my cart loaded with most of my supplies. 

I have the following in my cart at the moment:
    • 20lb bag of lump (well over 2/3 full)
    • 20lb bag of lump (1/2 full)
    • 4-5 lbs of smoke wood
    • BGE plate setter
    • map torch
    • grate tool
    • bge ash pan
    • bge ash tool 
    • 2 grate brushes
    • welding gloves
    • 750sqft heavy duty aluminum Foil
    • Roll of Paper towels 
    • Starter cubes
    • lighters
    • BOTTLES OPENERS
    • cross bars
    • (The AR sleeps in the cooker)
    I know Im forgetting something....
    It all fits and is not crammed in the cart. My plan was to keep most of the dirty stuff near the cooker and no be an eye sore. The challenger provided me with that option. Everything listed stays DRY and READY to use the next time I go outside to cook. I hated having to track through the house carrying a 20 lb bag of coals/smoke wood etc. from the garage. I love my challenger. Granted, I got one hell of a deal. I wouldnt change it for nothing. It makes my eggin experience a little more friendly to clean. A little grease lightening and im done. 

I have a wood deck that requires maintenance and I didn't want to have to worry about a wood table too. Wood table = more work 
    [-X
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • I bought the BGE table about 5 years ago, stained it and never looked back. I wipe it down a few times a year and keep it covered with the BGE cover and it still looks brand new. My buddy is getting his egg this weekend with a nest and since I will be doing an out door kitchen next year I will pass my table down to him, I'm sure he will get many more years out if it.
  • robnybbq
    I loaded mine up and still have some room.

various bags of smoke wood, map torch, grate tool, bge ash pan, bge ash tool, grate brush,
    Multiple sets of gloves, Paper towels, grates, drip pans, light, cooking utensils

Garnerville, NY
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    FearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 888
    edited November 2013
    R2Egg2Q said:
    I don't have a high end table. Mine is a Sole Kamado Crate that I think retailed for about $600 but I bought it off an online auction for $255. I think they phased out my model as the current model has a larger cabinet area. It isn't shiny but it is pretty sturdy and I've been really happy with mine.

After I assembled it:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and PhotosR2Egg2Q Be mindful of heat expansion. I remember a post a while back where a large egg split perfectly along its circumference where it came through an opening that was too tight. If in doubt I would get a thicker paver or open up the hole.
    Gittin' there...
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    robnybbq said:
    I loaded mine up and still have some room.

various bags of smoke wood, map torch, grate tool, bge ash pan, bge ash tool, grate brush,
    Multiple sets of gloves, Paper towels, grates, drip pans, light, cooking utensils

Nice looking cabinet and very functional. Vertical racking of the grates and PS was a smart idea.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.