Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So excited that I don't have to drive to Lockhart for bad barbecue anymore!

The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
edited November 2013 in EggHead Forum
I can get it right in my neighborhood! This is the much anticipated openeing of the Austin collaboration of the Schmidt family who own both Smitty's and Kreuz bbq in Lockhart. I didn't think it could be much worse but I was wrong. Bland tough beef, flavorless ribs, good sausage (they have made their own beef sausage for generations and it's really good).

Kind of killed the mood for us when right behind the cash register (where you order your food) in their food prep area a lady was filling steam trays with plastic bags of pre-cooked "Sysco steam table Mac n cheese" as clearly written on the boxes. I prefer a little mystery in my commercial foods but alas, none to be had today. Just steam tables full of nuclear bagged Mac n cheese to go along with my terrible bbq.

Save your money. This place is clearly a cash grab from a still famous but once good bbq icon. Sad. 2 thumbs down.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Is that where you're taking me when I head over?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple said:
    Is that where you're taking me when I head over?

If I do, you will know you have pissed me off somehow.
  • Can't you just go to Mickey's?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Thanks. Will stay away but will recommend to VI.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Mickey said:

Vespa parking available?
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Maybe they need Robert Irvine to come and tell them to go back to their roots and use FRESH food.  They probably think they are saving money buying prepared foods.  It seems that fresh is not only better, but less expensive.
  • onedbguru said:
    Maybe they need Robert Irvine to come and tell them to go back to their roots and use FRESH food.  They probably think they are saving money buying prepared foods.  It seems that fresh is not only better, but less expensive.

They could make the Mac n cheese out of crack and diamonds but it still wouldn't make up for the garbage q they put out. The Mac was actually better than the q if that says anything.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    Sysco FTW?
    I didn't realize you were dyslectic.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Mickey said:

That would be service to the public... Because he would take up 10 parking spots Salado-style.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    That was a great review. Very enjoyable.

I finally did my first packer following your instructions and it was a big hit. Thanks for putting that together.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Bummer. Had hopes that they could get over their feud, join together and put out some killer Q.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Hi54putty said:
    That was a great review. Very enjoyable. I finally did my first packer following your instructions and it was a big hit. Thanks for putting that together.

Glad it worked out for you
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited November 2013
    Griffin said:
    Bummer. Had hopes that they could get over their feud, join together and put out some killer Q.

I didn't expect much but was still disappointed. I don't love the Q they put out in Lockhart but I respect what they have built for themselves. Food was really sub par. I thought we could find a few nuggets and put it in the rotation for those so we tried a few different things. All 3 of us didn't finish our food and said we would never be back still sitting at the table. On top of that,we shared 1/2 pound of beef shoulder clod (tough and flavorless) 3 spare ribs (they were grayish white, chewy and flavorless) and 1 link of sausage. We shared 2 individual sides and had 2 beers and a soda (1 drink per person) It was $50! The whole place already smelled like smoke after being open for 3 days...........too bad the food didn't :-q
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Damn. What time did you hit it up? Recently finally got to Luling and was sadly disappointed. That being said it was coming around 3 on a Thursday and I had the feeling it might have been sitting awhile. Peak hours is the only time to hit most places.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin said:
    Damn. What time did you hit it up? Recently finally got to Luling and was sadly disappointed. That being said it was coming around 3 on a Thursday and I had the feeling it might have been sitting awhile. Peak hours is the only time to hit most places.

it was 2pm. lulling cooks fast too so the brisket can be tougher. i love their sauce though
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    it was 2pm. lulling cooks fast too so the brisket can be tougher. i love their sauce though
    I must just be lucky but I have had about 10 quality City Market (Luling) stops in a row now. I stopped on the way down to PINS to go fishing a couple weeks back and it was great as usual.  I rarely stop in Lockhart any more after so many fails.  In Luling I just walk back into the cutting room (where you order off warming pits) and ask the guys what is good that day and then double down on it.  Heck they'll let you taste it if you have a question about it (like if the brisket looks dry) and you can make your own mind up.  My main complaint at CM is that I always have to tell them to slice the brisket thinner than they would otherwise.  If I forget they go way too thick for my taste.

I'm disappointed the new Schmidt Family BBQ out in our neck of the woods is off to a rocky start!  Maybe they need a little time to get into the groove? They're what, 2-3 weeks in?  I had a few reports that they were putting out inconsistent but promising BBQ.  I planned to give them a month and then stop in.  I can't believe they are using processed sides.  That's just shameful.  Are they smoking meat on site yet or trucking it in from Lockhart?  

I'll still give them a shot and report back in a few weeks.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • I don't even like Smitty's or Kreuz in Lockhart.  Blacks is the only joint I frequent there.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Don't know if I should be happy or sad about the post. It's sad to hear that the meat was so awful, and sad that folks w. so much practice should bomb so horribly. But makes me happy to know that Texas 'Q isn't just due something in the water, and that other places might have a chance.

Seriously, tho', seems like someone might be cashing in on the the reputation of the Texas BBQ trail.
  • gdenby said:
    Don't know if I should be happy or sad about the post. It's sad to hear that the meat was so awful, and sad that folks w. so much practice should bomb so horribly. But makes me happy to know that Texas 'Q isn't just due something in the water, and that other places might have a chance.

Seriously, tho', seems like someone might be cashing in on the the reputation of the Texas BBQ trail.

I'm sure you can get bad cheesesteak in Philly, or bad pizza in Chicago.  Texas is no different with BBQ.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Tough meat might be a hard sell but bland mac and cheese might actually be some peoples preference.  We like good cheese but folks that are raised on processed cheese think there is something wrong with our cheese.  I think one of the biggest problems with restaurant food is that they try not to offend anybody's palate resulting in food no one hates but nobody loves either.

Gerhard
  • lakewade said:
    I must just be lucky but I have had about 10 quality City Market (Luling) stops in a row now. I stopped on the way down to PINS to go fishing a couple weeks back and it was great as usual.  I rarely stop in Lockhart any more after so many fails.  In Luling I just walk back into the cutting room (where you order off warming pits) and ask the guys what is good that day and then double down on it.  Heck they'll let you taste it if you have a question about it (like if the brisket looks dry) and you can make your own mind up.  My main complaint at CM is that I always have to tell them to slice the brisket thinner than they would otherwise.  If I forget they go way too thick for my taste.

I'm disappointed the new Schmidt Family BBQ out in our neck of the woods is off to a rocky start!  Maybe they need a little time to get into the groove? They're what, 2-3 weeks in?  I had a few reports that they were putting out inconsistent but promising BBQ.  I planned to give them a month and then stop in.  I can't believe they are using processed sides.  That's just shameful.  Are they smoking meat on site yet or trucking it in from Lockhart?  

I'll still give them a shot and report back in a few weeks.

I love CM in Lulling too but they do cook fast which makes the brisket more firm than you would do at home or say like Franklin's/J. Mueller's who cook slow. Schmidt's has only been open 3 days so maybe they need to hit their groove but like VI, I don't really love their Lockhart food. I assume they are cooking on site but they may just be warming in the pits. The place smells like a bonfire and has a cord of oak in the back. I didn't see any large pits though so they may be shipping in from Lockhart and just warming over Oak. They were out of tons of stuff so that may be what's going on. I'll take CM over either any of the the Schmidt places any day.
  • gdenby said:

there is way more bad Q than good here.There are only 10 places i would consider elite out of the hundreds that are open. I'm sure every region is like that with their specialty food. Like VI said, there are probably hundreds of places you can get a cheesesteak in Philly but only a few are considered elite. The sad part about this place is that they were once considered the kings of TX BBQ. They should be embarrassed by what they served us yesterday. It was like cafeteria food.
  • baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    edited November 2013
    Thanks for the heads up.  I try to avoid any place with Sysco ("Serving the food servce {and prison food} industry since...").
    Near San Francisco in California
  • Sysco has good stuff but they have the bagged Mac n cheese too. I ran an awesome prime and CAB meat counter on Sysco beef. Best I've ever had to this day but they were always selling us "technology" and bagged food. No bueno.