Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eye Round on the large BGE

Options

Kept it simple. Sprayed with Canola, Coated with Salt, Coarse ground pepper, granulated garlic, oregano, Let sit for an hour and seared it on lower grid then finished to 118 degrees internal temp on upper grid. Went right into fridge, Will take this out tomorrow and slice it cold on the Chef's Choice slicer - slices nice and thin when cold. Some fried Vidalia onions, mushrooms, Au jus. Rolls... dinner,....

Comments

• legomyeggo
    Options

And the result today after slicing...
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Looks really good. I need a new slicer.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    @legomyeggo- Looks Great! I have (2) eye rounds going on tonight. There was a deal at $3.99/lb for Angus Choice. Maybe it's the picture, but the sliced beef looks to be medium. I would like to go a max of medium rare. Wondering if I should pull before 118 degrees? Normal cooking temps would indicate 118 would be rare (up to 125), but I assume there is some creep as it sets. Thoughts?

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• zosobao5150
    Options
    Have never cooked it.  Best to eat on sandwiches or like steak?
    XL BGE
  • legomyeggo
    Options
    It is medium rare I'd say, uniformly pink. I;d say 115 and it will creep up to 120 or a bit more  I refrigerate it right away.Eye round is best to me sliced very thin. It can be tough if too thick. I use it on sandwiches, like a french dip, or just on rye with some coleslaw and Russian dressing., or in a chef;s salad. I also make something called Thai Beef Salad. Thin sliced cucumber, grape tomatoes ion half, some thin slices red onion, scallions. make a dressing of Thai fish sauce, a little canola, lemon juice, lime juice, some mint leaves and cilantro. and sirachi sauce to taste. Served with steamed jasmine rice
  • legomyeggo
    Options
    when I make a french dip, I make a little au jus from beef broth, a little soy and Worcestershire, some thyme, a bit of butter, and black pepper. I toss the meat in there to just give it a warm then onto the rolls. Usually use horseradish mayo.
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    I'm trying it sous vide method under another post. I'll report results!

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Looks good!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options

Kept it simple. Sprayed with Canola, Coated with Salt, Coarse ground pepper, granulated garlic, oregano, Let sit for an hour and seared it on lower grid then finished to 118 degrees internal temp on upper grid. Went right into fridge, Will take this out tomorrow and slice it cold on the Chef's Choice slicer - slices nice and thin when cold. Some fried Vidalia onions, mushrooms, Au jus. Rolls... dinner,....

Based on your set up I'd say you had too much direct heat cooking the outside much faster than the heat transfer to the inside.  You could do indirect and reverse sear to get that crust and not create such a big gradient of doneness on the cross section. 

Still looks really good and tender but knowing how dry overcooked eye can be I might be inclined to bring the overall temp along more slowly and sear if necessary.  Since you are going to slice thin anyway, a sear might not even be necessary since you won't have texture from it anyway.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Slow cook, with a water bath to keep the outside soft, Italian Beef. 

really good, and it freezes well. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • legomyeggo
    Options
    bigwader my have a point. never tried that. Been using a gas grill till I got the bge in July. Still' meat is not dry but may try that reverse sear next time.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Looks good. Serve it up with a little tiger sauce and raw onions and you are in business. Good job. Try the reverse sear next time.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• legomyeggo
    Options
    So with the leftover sliced eye round I made Thai Beef salad. Sliced cucumber, red onion, tomato (typically cherry or grape tomato), scallion, spring greens, cilantro, mint tossed dry. In a pan heat red Thai curry, Thai Chili soybean paste,with a little canola oil. Add chicken broth to that, juice from 2 lemons and limes, lots of Thai fish sauce, a little soy, grated  fresh ginger, some granulated garlic, Sliced scallion, cilantro, mint,  black pepper, good splash of rice wine vinegar, black pepper, and some brown sugar to taste to take edge off citrus. While still warm, toss in sliced cooked beef just to warm it, Pour is all over the tossed greens, mix it all up. Served over jasmine rice.